News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Arrangement Contest No. 8 in B# "Mix"olydian "Amalgamation"

Started by BrainyLucario, August 29, 2016, 05:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeila

Maelstrom

It's about that time.
Or, it's way past that time oops.
Since not one single entry had the same file assortment, these links are just to the dropbox folders I threw everything into.
The entries:
Bloop - Forgotten Ancient Ruins
Dajwxp - Heroes are No Different
Dekkadeci - Prism of Delight
Echo - Judge, Jury, and EXEcutioner
InsigTurtle - The Town That Once Was
Lkjhgfdsa_77 - Mario Medley
Static - Secret of the Celestial Tower

Poll coming soon

mikey

unmotivated

Maelstrom

Dekkadeci

Before I vote, just to make it clear: Can we vote for ourselves?

mikey

I would've voted for myself in mine but I just voted for the one I liked the best.  I'd like to think that would always end up being one that isn't your own
unmotivated

daj

Wow...so many fantastic works out there. Great job everyone! ^^

Voting was actually kinda tough, because a bunch of arrangements just wow'd me like never before. No hints given, except it's not mine ahaha. I think there were a bunch of arrangements which bring a whole new dimension to the concept of arranging, and narrowing it down to one vote between those was really frikkin tough.

I will say that I gave my vote in the name of creativity though, ehehe. Not that the other works weren't creative - it's just that this one had too many fantastic ideas to overlook.

Either way, great listening experience, all the best everyone :)

Dekkadeci

I figured "Screw it" and voted for my favourite arrangement that isn't mine.

Also, when does voting end and when do judges need to submit their evaluations by?

EDIT: Found the poll closing time. Still wondering whether judges need to submit their evaluations earlier or later than that.

mikey

it was really disappointing to me that I recognized absolutely none of the music, with the exception of licky's take on the mario main theme (which just didn't jive with me, sorry licky!).  There were 2 or 3 pieces that stood out to me above the rest though, and I can't say I actively liked any of the pieces, so I'm just going to vote for the person who I think did the best job.  Not to say you all did a bad job, you all did very well, and to boot you actually finished.  I'm just used to listening to these and thinking "wow I love it" but that didn't happen this time.
unmotivated

Bloop

Although I've always mixed songs in my previous AC entries, this one was fairly hard to write. But I do think everybody did a great job! I didn't recognize any other songs (just like noc), so I just chose the one I liked listening to the most.

Dekkadeci

I may as well release why I voted for the entry I did (but not who I voted for).

Picking my favourite reminded me of why I'd likely be a poor judge for contests like these: I picked my favourite based on these criteria I tend to use in my music listening in general:
  • Catchiness: Probably the most importantly, I like pieces I remember. If I don't remember your piece within 3 listens, I'm out of here.
  • Speed: I find slow pieces to be boring in general, to the point where I'd abstain from commenting on them in public places like YouTube and Musescore because I know I'm fairly strongly biased against them.
  • Familiarity: I assign a few bonus points in general to arrangements or pieces I've heard/played before. Although this can backfire for poor renditions of pieces I've already heard (this means that I like professional recordings of concert band music significantly more than middle school band renditions, for example), this explains why I like listening to remixes and piano transcriptions. ...And given that, among all the pieces that weren't mine, I recognized at least one video game theme in only 2 of them...yeah, I was biased.
  • Structure: Perhaps riffing off "Familiarity" a little, I like pieces more if they have discernable structures. (Structures often involve judicious use of repetition and warping of already used material.) This is probably part of why I love classical music.
You may have figured out several hints about which piece I picked, and I'll give one more: So far, it's the only piece where I looked up the VGM theme I hadn't already listened to before. And yes, I'm familiar with its other theme. (So, yes, I thought the unfamiliar bits were catchy.)

braix

I dropped out but I will eventually finish my mash up. When I do may I post it here
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

Haha dekka I was strongly turned off of your piece mostly because of how fast it was
unmotivated

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Maelstrom