News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

The Official Wind Waker Project

Started by Latios212, December 28, 2016, 06:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Deku Trombonist

Forsaken Fortress 1:
-The top note of the RH in bar 18 should land on beat 2. Ie the triplet should start one beat 1 with the rest included
-The run in bar 22 should start an 8th after beat 2. (So the last note falls on beat 4). Also, maybe respell the Cnat as a B#?
-Beaming. I don't usually mention beaming because people have their own preferences, but if I take a quick glance at the bass riff in bar 1, it isn't immediately visually obvious that the B falls on beat 4. Yes there are enough beats in the bar, and yes if you count it out it obviously falls on beat 4, but it doesn't look like it.

I'll have a closer look at the harmonies and accidentals when I'm more awake. I suspect there may be a couple of craftily obscured voices in there.

Eg there's an upper A natural in bar 15

Sebastian

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 09, 2017, 04:48:33 AM-The top note of the RH in bar 18 should land on beat 2. Ie the triplet should start one beat 1 with the rest included
Lol, I could not get these freakin' flutes rhythmically correct to save my life. xD
There, I fixed that.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 09, 2017, 04:48:33 AM-The run in bar 22 should start an 8th after beat 2. (So the last note falls on beat 4). Also, maybe respell the Cnat as a B#?
Ah, thanks so much. I was killing myself over this mess lol. Fixed.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 09, 2017, 04:48:33 AMAlso, maybe respell the Cnat as a B#?
I could, but I was actually planning on changing them all anyway. According to Brassman, they're theoretically correct, but not very helpful to a performer's eye.
I'll wait to change them until you get back to me on this (I love your opinion):
Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 09, 2017, 04:48:33 AMI'll have a closer look at the harmonies and accidentals when I'm more awake.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 09, 2017, 04:48:33 AM-Beaming. I don't usually mention beaming because people have their own preferences, but if I take a quick glance at the bass riff in bar 1, it isn't immediately visually obvious that the B falls on beat 4. Yes there are enough beats in the bar, and yes if you count it out it obviously falls on beat 4, but it doesn't look like it.
Actually, I do get what you're saying. Well, let me explain the notation of the drum beat. I wanted to make them all the same note length since that's how they are in the original. So I notated them as eighths (the eighth rests clearly show the beats, most importantly the third). I was originally gonna do this:

But
1. It looks oddly beamed.
2. I want them all the same length-- eighth notes.
Same with this (another idea I had):

In my opinion, I think the current way is the easiest to read (since the quarter notes seem to add to the ambiguity) and closest to the original. Just my opinion though.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 09, 2017, 04:48:33 AMEg there's an upper A natural in bar 15
I purposely left that out to match the dyad notation consistency shown in the song before this point.

Updated version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6gmz2bh47upfmr/The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20Wind%20Waker%20-%20Forsaken%20Fortress%20Invasion%201.mus?dl=1

Latios212

BrainyLucario has contacted me to claim the following:
34   Get Treasure Box - BrainyLucario
35   Open Treasure Box - BrainyLucario
36   Get Item - BrainyLucario
37   Get Small Item - BrainyLucario
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: Sebastian on January 09, 2017, 09:05:56 AMActually, I do get what you're saying. Well, let me explain the notation of the drum beat. I wanted to make them all the same note length since that's how they are in the original. So I notated them as eighths (the eighth rests clearly show the beats, most importantly the third). I was originally gonna do this:

But
1. It looks oddly beamed.
2. I want them all the same length-- eighth notes.
Same with this (another idea I had):

In my opinion, I think the current way is the easiest to read (since the quarter notes seem to add to the ambiguity) and closest to the original. Just my opinion though.
Erm...I didn't say anything about changing note lengths, just break the beam.

Edit: and if you're going to talk purely about readability, the first picture is easiest by far.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 09, 2017, 04:18:33 PMand if you're going to talk purely about readability, the first picture is easiest by far.

qft
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 09, 2017, 04:18:33 PMErm...I didn't say anything about changing note lengths, just break the beam.
Ok.

The Deku Trombonist

Right, let's see here.... accidentals.

I'm trying to cover as many possibilities here as I can think of so this might get a bit long winded and pointless. I'm sure I would've missed some things, or maybe reached the odd silly conclusion but that's the fun of discussing stuff.

Bar 3: I know what you're thinking with the Fx, but what do you gain? It's not like the Fx is explicitly functioning as a chromatic neighbour note or as a part of a vii/V or V/V. And then 2 beats later we have an A coming in a tone higher. Only it's apparently not a major second, but a diminished 3rd and it's not really obvious why. On a side note, it's also worth mentioning that (in general, this isn't necessarily gospel) raised notes tend to want to resolve upwards and lowered notes tend to want to resolve downwards (for example, that's why augmented 6th chords are spelled the way they are). But then lo and behold, 2 bars later the Fx resolves down to an E. I'm also aware that you could interpret bar 3 as borrowing from augmented 6th harmony, but I'm not sure that fits. Either way, flip a coin.

Bar 8: I don't really have an issue with this one because it's a resolving 4-3 suspension.

Bar 9: I'm not sure about this one. The Diminished 7th moving down by semitone to the major 6th in bar 11 can look a bit odd. And back to bar 9 the Fx moving out to the A doesn't really look like it sounds (perf 5th -> maj 6th). Bearing in mind that the bass voice keeps moving down by half step, I'm inclined to go for a lowered spelling rather than a raised one (Ie Cnat, Gnat & A nat). You could also look at the A/B# as belonging to the viio7 chord of C# minor but I'd be hesitant to do that because of how it sounds. Yes there's a C# down the bottom but it's an ostinato and therefore has limited harmonic function. And when you listen to that bar, it definitely doesn't sound like vii harmony and it is important to let your ear guide you in these things. Another option is to spell the Anat as a Gx, but you might give Brassman a heart attack.

Bar 12: G natural? (major 6th -> minor 6th)

Bar 13: The bass line is moving down to the A, so you could show tendency that with a Bb instead of an A# (Yes I know that'd give you a false relation with the Bnat in the  LH, but it is an ostinato. Besides, I'm just throwing around ideas). Then you'd have Gnat moving up to Ab in the top voice. I think what you do with this bar depends on whether you want to have a Gnat or Fx in the bar before. They're linked so whatever you do has to follow.

Bar 14: The arrival note really sounds like the A in the bass voice, so it might make more sense to have a Gnat instead of the Fx. Yeah I know I mentioned the possibility of augmented 6th chords before, but I'm going with how it sounds.

That wasn't quite as coherent as I would've liked but hopefully there's some food for thought. The two important things to note are: 1) Trust your ear. It will pick up things that staring at the page won't; and 2) Experiment. Play around with some spellings, leave them for a day or two, come back to them and see what you think. Look at other music in the mean time and see how it treats chromatic movement, you never know where ideas can come from. For easy to follow chromatic voice leading that moves pretty quickly through funky harmonies, Gesualdo is good fun.

Brassman388

You just compressed, like, three to four weeks of theory. 

Hahaha.

Sebastian

Thanks for the response and sorry for my late response! I forgot.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 12:14:43 AMI'm trying to cover as many possibilities here as I can think of so this might get a bit long winded and pointless. I'm sure I would've missed some things, or maybe reached the odd silly conclusion but that's the fun of discussing stuff.
No problem. Discussing is an excellent learning experience for us both.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 12:14:43 AMBar 3: I know what you're thinking with the Fx, but what do you gain? It's not like the Fx is explicitly functioning as a chromatic neighbour note or as a part of a vii/V or V/V. And then 2 beats later we have an A coming in a tone higher. Only it's apparently not a major second, but a diminished 3rd and it's not really obvious why. On a side note, it's also worth mentioning that (in general, this isn't necessarily gospel) raised notes tend to want to resolve upwards and lowered notes tend to want to resolve downwards (for example, that's why augmented 6th chords are spelled the way they are). But then lo and behold, 2 bars later the Fx resolves down to an E. I'm also aware that you could interpret bar 3 as borrowing from augmented 6th harmony, but I'm not sure that fits. Either way, flip a coin.
Pretty much. Basically what I told Brassman earlier. Either way works.
I believe the advantage of having a G natural is to give the performer an easier time, so I guess I'll go ahead and change it.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 12:14:43 AMBar 8: I don't really have an issue with this one because it's a resolving 4-3 suspension.
Awesome.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 12:14:43 AMYes there's a C# down the bottom but it's an ostinato and therefore has limited harmonic function. And when you listen to that bar, it definitely doesn't sound like vii harmony and it is important to let your ear guide you in these things. Another option is to spell the Anat as a Gx, but you might give Brassman a heart attack.
This was one of my main reasons for not putting a C natural-- because of the C# in the left hand; however, your point is excellent. In all honesty, I was reluctant to put an Fx because of the ostinato in the left hand. It was too repetitive, but I still put a Fx just to be safe. 

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 12:14:43 AMBearing in mind that the bass voice keeps moving down by half step, I'm inclined to go for a lowered spelling rather than a raised one (Ie Cnat, Gnat & A nat).
This makes the most sense in my opinion. I'll go ahead and incorporate this spelling.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 12:14:43 AMBar 12: G natural? (major 6th -> minor 6th)
Aye. Fixed.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 12:14:43 AMBar 13: The bass line is moving down to the A, so you could show tendency that with a Bb instead of an A# (Yes I know that'd give you a false relation with the Bnat in the  LH, but it is an ostinato. Besides, I'm just throwing around ideas).
Once again, same thing as M. 9-- I wanted to avoid the Bb/B in the same measure, but I did update the accidentals since I updated them in the last measure.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 12:14:43 AMBar 14: The arrival note really sounds like the A in the bass voice, so it might make more sense to have a Gnat instead of the Fx. Yeah I know I mentioned the possibility of augmented 6th chords before, but I'm going with how it sounds.
Ok then. Fixed.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 12:14:43 AMThat wasn't quite as coherent as I would've liked but hopefully there's some food for thought.
Your insight was helpful. Thank you.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 12:14:43 AM1) Trust your ear. It will pick up things that staring at the page won't
This is usually what I do and it seems to lead me wrong more than right. Since I knew this would be a tough song accidental-wise, I thought I'd depend less on my ear and chromatic movement and more on analyzing the notes/chords and, as you say, "staring at the page." I guess that didn't work out for me this time though lol.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 12:14:43 AM2) Experiment. Play around with some spellings, leave them for a day or two, come back to them and see what you think. Look at other music in the mean time and see how it treats chromatic movement, you never know where ideas can come from.
I'll probably do more of this then. Sounds like a good plan.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 12:14:43 AMFor easy to follow chromatic voice leading that moves pretty quickly through funky harmonies, Gesualdo is good fun.
AHHH, Gesualdo is fantastic. I really enjoy vocal music like the compositions he composed.

Sebastian

[GCN] The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

To Hyrule     

Lkjhgfdsa_77

The MIDI soundfont for "To Hyrule" is Choir Aahs instead of piano.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on December 30, 2016, 09:01:30 PMInside Forest Haven - Lkjhgfdsa_77:
It's got quite a few transcription errors in the marimba part, particularly in the harmonies, so go over those with a fine tooth comb. I can take a look sometime, but I don't have the time right now.
I would assume you mean the repeating part (don't think that there's any other marimba anyway). I haven't spent some time looking at it yet, but after another listen I can at least hear some parts mainly in the fourth beat that a percussion notation would be better.

Edit (24 Jan 2017) - After finally beating Wind Waker myself I will tentatively claim Mini-Boss and Ganon's Tower.
- Lkjhgfdsa_77
Arr | Tran | LiPo | Intro | YT | Blog

Maelstrom

Anyone still working on their sheets?

Olimar12345

Hey everyone: if you've claimed something, try to get it in here ASAP.

Ninjad
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

FireArrow

Well dang I need to do a lot of arranging sometime soon. I've got a lot of school stuff to deal with atm tho >:(
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Sebastian

Same. Spring break is next week. I'll try to get them done then.