News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[3DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - "Battling the Boss (Duet)" by Bespinben

Started by Zeta, January 31, 2017, 02:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Battling the Boss
Instrumentation Piano Duet
Arranger: Bespinben

[attachment deleted by admin]

Olimar12345

-In measure 25 (primo), is the "l.h." in the hovering bracket supposed to apply to the trill? Another way to write that to add clarity to this (if that is what you meant (this ambiguity is my point)) would be to write a specific note value and have it tied over from the previous note, then with the label to switch hands (essentially creating a visual anchor for the player to see where exactly you would like them to switch hands). If not, you could at least save time next time you use this technique by using one bracket with lower-facing arms and create an expression for the "l.h." that has an invisible enclosure shape, essentially cutting out the portion of the bracket that you need gone and saving the time of manually placing two brackets in perfect alignment.
Like this:
1. Open the document
2. Click the Expression Tool
3. Double-click the handle of the expression to open the Expression Selection dialog box
4. Click the Edit button
5. In the Expression Designer dialog box that appears, select Rectangle from the Enclosure menu and click the corresponding Edit button
6. Select the "Opaque" option
7. Select "Enforce Minimum Width" from the Options menu
8. Use the handles in the window to make the enclosure lines as close to the expression as possible
9. Type "0" (without quotes) into the Line Thickness field
10. Click OK
11. Click OK again
12. Click Assign
(courtesy of Lawson D. at MakeMusic)
[close]

-Would it not be easier for the player on the lower end of the piano to mash the keys with their forearm at the end? The way it's written, it looks like the player on the right would have to reach over the other player to do this. Seems like this effect was made for the player on the left.

-It's not the end of the world, but sometimes when composers write for music to shift from one staff to another, they leave the empty staff...empty! Instances like 15-16 (primo again) leave a measure full of rests, whereas in reality there is little silence/resting happening for that hand. I'd suggest hiding the rests in instances like this.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bespinben

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 01, 2017, 09:01:12 AM-In measure 25 (primo), is the "l.h." in the hovering bracket supposed to apply to the trill? Another way to write that to add clarity to this (if that is what you meant (this ambiguity is my point)) would be to write a specific note value and have it tied over from the previous note, then with the label to switch hands (essentially creating a visual anchor for the player to see where exactly you would like them to switch hands).
Yes, the purpose was the give the upper hand time to switch to next trill. I see now it could be notated more clearly.
New Version
[close]

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 01, 2017, 09:01:12 AM-Would it not be easier for the player on the lower end of the piano to mash the keys with their forearm at the end? The way it's written, it looks like the player on the right would have to reach over the other player to do this. Seems like this effect was made for the player on the left.
While it would be easier, I have notated it specifically so that the Primo player will indeed have to reach over, and with the right arm, execute the forearm slam. This way, the player must, in order to reach over, use more body weight, thereby facilitating the quadruple forte dynamic. It's an absurd ending with an equally absurd execution.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 01, 2017, 09:01:12 AM-It's not the end of the world, but sometimes when composers write for music to shift from one staff to another, they leave the empty staff...empty! Instances like 15-16 (primo again) leave a measure full of rests, whereas in reality there is little silence/resting happening for that hand. I'd suggest hiding the rests in instances like this.
Ah, I've seen this before I believe. I will apply it, you having now verified its legitimacy. Cool.
New Version
[close]

Other things changed at my own discretion:
  • Reformatted to portrait orientation. Adjusted page layout parameters and measure distribution to match accordingly.
  • Rewrote the opening tempo qualifier to be more succinct, and also containing more readily-accessible Italian vernacular (as opposed to poorly translated English idioms)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Olimar12345

Quote from: Bespinben on February 01, 2017, 06:21:45 PMReformatted to portrait orientation. Adjusted page layout parameters and measure distribution to match

I thought the landscape orientation was fine, but you've managed to save a whole page in this edit, so I'm not complaining.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 01, 2017, 06:21:45 PMYes, the purpose was the give the upper hand time to switch to next trill. I see now it could be notated more clearly.

I actually meant to keep it all in the upper staff, but this new way seems to lead into the next measure better. That's good.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 01, 2017, 06:21:45 PMWhile it would be easier, I have notated it specifically so that the Primo player will indeed have to reach over, and with the right arm, execute the forearm slam. This way, the player must, in order to reach over, use more body weight, thereby facilitating the quadruple forte dynamic. It's an absurd ending with an equally absurd execution.

I had to try this to believe it. I am now a believer.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 01, 2017, 06:21:45 PMRewrote the opening tempo qualifier to be more succinct, and also containing more readily-accessible Italian vernacular (as opposed to poorly translated English idioms)

It certainly is better, but tbh you could make it even simpler and I wouldn't be complaining.

Last thing (I think): Mind making the eighth rest in measure 16 look like the one in measure 15 (In the center of the staff)? Share the wealth rest.

Nice work.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bespinben

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Olimar12345

Zeta