News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

It is Saturday, August 19th in CST.

Alright, the Title of this quiz is "Noc's Favorites".  That's already a huge hint and I expect everyone to guess most of these.

MUS
MID
PDF

1. Unguessable
2. Easy
3. Difficult
4. Moderate
5. Easy
6. Easy
7. Difficult
8. Easy
9. Medium
10. Easy

1 is worth 3 points, 3 and 7 are worth 2 points, and everything else is worth 1 point

So I made a list of my 10 favorite games and selected songs only from within those 10 games.  Anyone who can correctly name every game represented on the quiz gets an additional point.  The maximum score therefore is 15 points.  Good luck yall

Some more than less than maddeningly unhelpful tips
-measure 8 might be transcribed incorrectly
-melody 3 might be slightly wrong rhythmwise, but I tried to get it as close to the original as I could without doing anything dumb
that is to say I put minimal effort into the least barely acceptable version I was able to
-whenever possible, I cheated and used a melody arranged on the main site as long as it looked accurate to me
unmotivated

Dekkadeci

Unless you're going to nail us on precise notes in the melody, Noc, I think #7 is significantly easier than your difficulty level would indicate.

mastersuperfan

Results will be posted sometime this evening. At the moment I'm estimating around 11:00 PM EST (a little less than 9 hours from now).

As I've done before, I'll throw this last tidbit at you now:
  • One person has 3/4 Mario melodies.
  • One person has 3/4 Kirby melodies. (By the way, this is not Levi; he hasn't participated yet. More on that below.)
  • One person has 4/4 (!) Pokémon melodies.
  • One person has 3/4 Zelda melodies.
  • Two people have 3/9 Miscellaneous melodies (ouch, it was hard this time).
Levi just told me that he won't be back until Tuesday. Since I don't want to postpone the results again, what I'll do is post the results tonight, but let Levi participate later without looking at the results post (assuming he comes back Tuesday as expected, I'll temporarily remove the answers from the results post while he competes).
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mikey

end of day update

unsurprisingly, melody #1 remains unguessed

surprisingly, Dudeman has not gotten #3.

unsurprisingly, nobody else has gotten #3 either.

surprisingly, multiple people have gotten #7

nobody has attempted to guess the names of all games appearing.  To successfully do so now is worth 3 points, making the quiz worth 17 total points.

here's a hint: melody #1 comes from one of the most popular video games of all time
unmotivated

mastersuperfan

Power outage. Results delayed until tomorrow. Sad.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Answers and Results!

O H   B O Y   R E S U L T S   T I M E

MSF ROUND C

Scoreboard (Final)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  |  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  |  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ?  |  37
[close]

Requested Hints (2) - #11, #25
  • #11: From one of the four main series. The transcribed melody is the entire loop. While the song is first heard during a certain cutscene, it does not play exclusively during that cutscene (i.e. it also plays outside of the cutscene).
  • #25: From one of the four main series (indeed, it is!). Boss battle theme. The game was never released in North America.
[close]

EASY

#1 (12/12)
"Opening Theme" / "Start Music" - [ARCADE] Pac-Man (Miscellaneous #1)

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:04

Also in:

Finally, an easy melody that every single participant knows. Nice >:]

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 16, 2017, 03:01:54 PMMy ringtone (aka pacman something or other)

Guessed by:
  • Dekkadeci
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • Latios212
  • LeviR.star
  • Maelstrom
  • NocturneOfShadow
  • Static
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • Trasdegi
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#2 (7/12)

#3 (10/12)
"Mega Mushroom" - [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Mario #1)

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:09

Also in:

If you hear this in NSMB, NSMB2, or SM3DW, you know that you're about to wreck some shit.

If you hear this in MKWii, either you're about to wreck some shit or, more likely, someone's about to wreck your shit.

Nobody hears this in Ultra Smash because that game is shit.

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 16, 2017, 10:17:46 PMmega mushroom (mayro kratt wi)

QuoteMaelstrom: #3
Maelstrom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1okcV9bhAY
mastersuperfan: yep
mastersuperfan: wait that's the
mastersuperfan: goddammit
Maelstrom: This is what came up when I searched mega mushroom
mastersuperfan: my god
mastersuperfan: why
mastersuperfan: why
Maelstrom: Why not
mastersuperfan: fair enough

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • Latios212
  • LeviR.star
  • Maelstrom
  • Static
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#4 (2/12)
"Main Theme" / "GrandPrix" - [SW] ARMS (Miscellaneous #2)

Timestamp: 0:39 - 0:54

So I guess that most of the hype for the Switch is already pretty much dead, huh.

It was pretty funny to watch Dudeman keep flipping out about how few people were getting this one, though. Especially since the section I picked is also the one that plays in all the trailers, too...

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#5 (5/12)
"Groose's Theme" - [Wii] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Zelda #1)

Timestamp: 0:08 - 0:18

THE GROOSE

IS LOOSE

I was considering doing Ballad of the Goddess to be even easier, but... GROOSE

Quote from: Yug_Guy on August 16, 2017, 03:49:48 PM5. Groose's Theme - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Quote from: Maelstrom#5 is banjo kazooie
I have no clue where

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • NocturneOfShadow
  • Static
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#6 (7/12)
"Goldenrod City" - [GBC] Pokémon Gold & Silver Versions (Pokémon #1)

Timestamp: 0:17 - 0:26

Also in: [NDS] Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver Versions ("Goldenrod City")

A nice track, I guess. I'm actually not too fond of the original GSC versions since I grew up with HGSS. I was tempted to transcribe the swing HGSS version and mark GSC wrong, but that would've been a little mean.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 16, 2017, 03:01:54 PM6. is it from gold/silver
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 16, 2017, 07:32:27 PMthe reason I know 6 is from GS is because it's one of the few themes I cared to remember
Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 16, 2017, 08:25:30 PMAny chance you could get the name for that track so I can count it?
Quotemastersuperfan: also are you not bothered enough to find the GSC track lol
NocturneOfShadow: idk is it goldenrod city
mastersuperfan: yeah it is lol
mastersuperfan: there you go
NocturneOfShadow: wheeee

Y'know, this song also reminds me of something that happened a while ago...

Quote from: Dudeman on May 08, 2017, 11:38:30 AMOKAY SINCE WHEN IS THE GSC BIKE THEME JUST THE GOLDENROD CITY THEME SPED UP AND HOW HAVE I NEVER NOTICED
Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 08, 2017, 11:47:16 AMwooooooooooooow ur 2 slo
Quote from: AmpharosAndy on May 08, 2017, 11:57:11 AMR u bloody serious m9? That's 2005-time internet wowz!
Quote from: Latios212 on May 08, 2017, 11:57:39 AMI DISOWN YOU

Even elementary school me figured that out
QuoteLatios212: http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=2237.msg374619#msg374619
Latios212: dudeman is now laughingstock
mastersuperfan: WAIT IT IS
mastersuperfan: I NEVER REALIZED THAT
Latios212: WHAT THE #&^$
mastersuperfan: granted I never played the original GSC so all I mostly heard was the remixed Goldenrod
Latios212: YOUUUUUUUUUU
mastersuperfan: but it's so much better
mastersuperfan: who would want to listen to that old bad Goldenrod
Latios212: YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • Latios212
  • NocturneOfShadow
  • Trasdegi
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#7 (4/12)
"Ripple Star Select" - [N64] Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Kirby #2)

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:12

Also in:

My replacement for Pop Star, which Static stole. Except Static didn't get this one... welp

This one isn't too remembered from its original appearance as a map theme, but it's in the Easy section because of the myriad of remixes that it has received throughout the series. At this point I'd say it's becoming a staple Kirby melody.

It's still not well-known by the majority of the competitors, unfortunately.

Quote from: Dudeman#7: The only one in the easy section I don't know :(

Guessed by:
  • Dekkadeci
  • Latios212
  • LeviR.star
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]

#8 (8/12)
"Gritzy Desert" - [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (Mario #2)

Timestamp: 0:07 - 0:23

Also in: [Wii] Super Smash Bros. Brawl ("Gritzy Desert")

T H E   N O S T A L G I A

Damn, I didn't think so many people would get this one. But what can I say, it's in Brawl and it plays in the Subspace Emissary. And it was replaced on-site pretty recently. And it's a downright awesome track, too.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64i know it because of an old flash game

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 16, 2017, 03:49:10 PMi remember my sister saying this sounded a bit like the magic school bus theme

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • LeviR.star
  • Maelstrom
  • Static
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

Easy Section (8): Scores
Dudeman, Yug_Guy (7)
ThatHiddenCharacter (6)
Latios212, LeviR.star, Static, WaluigiTime64 (5)
InsigTurtle (4)
Maelstrom, Trasdegi (3)
Dekkadeci, NocturneOfShadow (2)

Average Score: 4.5 (56.2%)

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 16, 2017, 03:49:10 PMI may be easy but I go down hard!

1 - looks like pac man
6 - goldenrod city (pkmn g/s/c)
8 - gritzy desert (i remember my sister saying this sounded a bit like the magic school bus theme)
QuoteThe Insig level. You should be getting at least 4 of these.
sad
[close]

MEDIUM

#9 (4/12)
"Milk Bar" - [N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Zelda #2)

Timestamp: 0:02 - 0:14

"milk"

Not the most well-known of tracks from this game, but it's got a good few covers across YouTube, notably by Smooth McGroove and Tsuko G., so I was hoping several people would get it. Three Majora's Mask fans knew this one, along with one non-fan. How'd Mael miss this one?

Quote from: Latios212well I know tom brier has a video of it
so I went to listen to the original

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 16, 2017, 03:01:54 PMAHH CRAP WHICH ONE IS IT....  OoT's shop theme?  Definitely a shop theme though
Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 16, 2017, 03:33:48 PMThere's nothing from Ocarina of Time because it was on the last quiz, but #9 isn't terribly far off.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 16, 2017, 04:29:12 PMthen it's the shop theme from Majora's Mask
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 16, 2017, 04:44:04 PMMILK BAR

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • Latios212
  • NocturneOfShadow
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#10 (3/12)
"High Above the Land (The Flying Machine)" - [MUL] Shovel Knight (Miscellaneous #3)

Timestamp: 0:37 - 0:50

Hands down, my favorite track in the game. I love it so much. But man, SCREW this level...

Three people recognized this one.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 09, 2017, 06:47:06 AMYug_Guy how did you not

Guessed by:
  • Dekkadeci
  • Maelstrom
  • NocturneOfShadow
[close]

#11 (1/12)
"Sand Canyon Map" - [SNES] Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Kirby #3)

Hint: From one of the four main series. The transcribed melody is the entire loop. While the song is first heard during a certain cutscene, it does not play exclusively during that cutscene (i.e. it also plays outside of the cutscene). (requested by Static)

A map theme may have been a tad tricky, but I wanted to use a Sand Canyon track and I was running short on options. Sand Canyon 1 got used in Static's second quiz. Sand Canyon 2 is just a remix of Gourmet Race. And Sand Canyon 3... well, that got remixed in Planet Robobot, and we don't want Dudeman getting more points than he already has, do we?

To my surprise, ThatHiddenCharacter was the only one to get this one. Nice job.

Quote from: Static#11: I know I've heard this before but I forgot.
Quote from: Staticill ponder 11 today and ill let you know if i have any sudden realizations
by that i mean ill forget about the quiz until i get home and then ill look at it again
Quote from: Static#11 is
driving me insane
Quotemastersuperfan: #11 is sad and lonely
Static: just like myself rn ill get it
Static: i think
Static: i hope
mastersuperfan: same

He never got it.

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 16, 2017, 10:17:46 PM#11 sounds a familiar

Guessed by: ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]

#12 (3/12)
"Great Canyon" - [MUL] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red & Blue Rescue Team (Pokémon #2)

Timestamp: 0:36 - 0:51

Also in: [3DS] Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon ("Sand Dune of Spirits")

Great Canyon, huh? What about the GRAND Canyon?

Did you know? Dudeman has played Red Rescue Team. And here we were watching you constantly making a point about how you aren't familiar with PMD music.

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 16, 2017, 03:49:10 PM12 - great canyon - pmd rrt/brt (rrt and brt stand for rail rapid transit and bus rapid transit, respectively)

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • Latios212
[close]

#13 (2/12)
"Wicked Flight" - [3DS] Bravely Default (Miscellaneous #4)

Timestamp: 3:19 - 3:28

DAMN, Bravely Default music is really kickass. I suppose there's a reason why this is one of the most popular tracks in the game--judging by YouTube views, the third most popular after Serpent Eating the Ground and That Person's Name Is. JOHN CENA

To gauge obscurity, I investigated a little to figure out when this track played in-game, but I think I spoiled myself on the biggest plot twist in the game in the process. Oops?

Y'know, I thought we had more than just two Bravely Default music fans in here, but maybe it's just me...

Guessed by:
  • Dekkadeci
  • Maelstrom
[close]

#14 (1/12)
"Sanctuary" - [Wii] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Zelda #3)

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:13

Probably one of the hardest songs in the Medium section; it sounds nice, but it seems like it gets overlooked a lot. I figured it would also be a bit tricky to recognize without the harmony. Dudeman got it anyways. Good for you.

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter14 sounds familiar
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacterMy memory is horrible
I'm not gonna get 14.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 16, 2017, 03:08:38 PM14. is it from RSE?  If not probably from DPPt.  If not I don't know what it is
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 16, 2017, 07:32:27 PM14 is really familiar but not to the point where I could get it

Guessed by: Dudeman
[close]

#15 (1/12)
"Rawk Hawk Battle" - [GCN] Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Mario #3)

Timestamp: 0:06 - 0:17

Prepare to be RAAAAAAAAWKED!

Only Static was ready. Everyone else got Rawked too hard.

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacterI just heard 15 recently
But where?...

Quote from: WaluigiTime64oh yeah also #15 is getting close to driving me up a wall

Guessed by: Static
[close]

#16 (3/12)
"Looker's Theme" - [NDS] Pokémon Platinum (Pokémon #3)

Timestamp: 0:01 - 0:14

Also in:

I actually don't remember very much about this dude, but I was hoping that the fact that he's appeared in four different generations would help to lower the obscurity level a bit. Thankfully, it worked.

I find it funny how the intro gets faster with every remix...

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 16, 2017, 10:17:46 PM#11 sounds a familiar
so is a #16

Quote from: WaluigiTime64oh yeah also #15 is getting close to driving me up a wall
same with #16

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • Latios212
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

Medium Section (8): Scores
Dudeman (4)
Latios212 (3)
Dekkadeci, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow, Yug_Guy (2)
InsigTurtle, Static (1)
LeviR.star, Trasdegi, WaluigiTime64 (0)

Average Score: 1.42 (17.7%)

QuoteWaluigiTime64: when you called the medium section the Wah section did you intend for me to get any of them
mastersuperfan: uh
mastersuperfan: maybe?
[close]

HARD

#17 (1/12)
"Main Theme" / "Pull Up a Chair" - [PC] Hearthstone (Miscellaneous #5)

Timestamp: 0:08 - 0:16

Thank you, Trasdegi, for getting this one. I was starting to get pretty sad that nobody recognized this one...

Three other people knew the Overwatch theme, but none of them knew the Hearthstone theme. Sad.

Guessed by: Trasdegi
[close]

#18 (0/12)
"Final Boss" / "Doom Dragon Battle" - [GBA] Golden Sun: The Lost Age (Miscellaneous #6)

Timestamp: 0:38 - 0:49

Also in:

It looks like even the Golden Sun fans around here aren't familiar with The Lost Age's music. Which is a little surprising, because from what I've read this game is just as highly regarded as the original (although with Dark Dawn it's an entirely different story).

By the way, fun fact: this is in Brawl!

Guessed by: ---
[close]

#19 (0/12)
"Sand Ocean" - [SNES] F-Zero (Miscellaneous #7)

Timestamp: 0:24 - 0:39

Nobody got this one. Welp.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on June 17, 2017, 01:52:14 PM...as I thought that F-Zero is a series that's under-represented in these quizzes.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that's mostly because people just aren't familiar with F-Zero music. It almost makes me wonder why I picked this melody in the first place Static you're making me look bad here

[close]

#20 (1/12)
"The Ground's Color is Yellow" - [PC] Touhou Hisouten ~ Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (Miscellaneous #8)

Timestamp: 1:26 - 1:33

DAT VIOLIN

Wah, my man. Glad you're here, because it looks like nobody else knows SWR music. Such a shame.

Guessed by: WaluigiTime64
[close]

#21 (0/12)
"Time to Make History" - [PSVITA] Persona 4 Golden (Miscellaneous #9)

Timestamp: 0:45 - 0:56

If you noticed, this is indeed the last miscellaneous track on the quiz! I took all the four main series' Hard melodies and shoved them at the end of the section because... why not?

Persona (and SMT in general) really isn't a series that gets any attention around here. I don't know anything about it either, really. In which case you might ask, how do I know this song and why did I use it? Simple. Tsuko G. made a cover of it!

Actually, I find it rather surprising that nobody recognized this one. Who's the one not checking their subscription box now, Mael?

[close]

#22 (0/12)
"Desert Palace" - [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Zelda #4)

Timestamp: 1:00 - 1:17

Damn, nobody got this one. I'm legitimately surprised. I picked the part I did intentionally because I thought it'd be difficult to recognize, though, especially since I remembered this track primarily for the choir instead.

The percussion looping every three beats really trips up the time signature of this theme, doesn't it? When it even has one, that is...

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 16, 2017, 07:32:27 PMseriously, there are very few Zelda songs that I don't know by listening
I even know the ALBW soundtrack, which is a good game to mess with people

Really...?

Well, I guess you were right about the "messing with people" part, at least.

[close]

#23 (0/12)
"Main Menu" - [Wii] Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Mario #4)

Timestamp: 0:37 - 0:51

I'm not sure why I ever got this game in the first place, but man, was this game my childhood.

Yeah, I know this game is half-Sonic, but this was the primary reason why I made sure to include the note about crossover games at the beginning. I always played as the Mario characters, too, so this was basically a Mario game to me anyways...

[close]

#24 (1/12)
"Desert Scorcher" - [NDS] Kirby Mass Attack (Kirby #4)

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:17

Did you know? This track is a remix of the Island Sisters' (Twin Nuts') song in Kirby: Right Back At Ya!... the TV show, for anyone who remembers or ever watched that in the first place. (I did, by the way.) Said song also got another remix in Rainbow Curse, but it didn't include the melody that I transcribed here.

Naturally, I picked the unmemorable and difficult-to-recognize intro that wasn't actually in the original song, so it was rather tricky. I couldn't trip up one person, though; major kudos to Static for getting this one--and right away, no less.

Quote from: Statichow i remembered 24 is
i have no idea

Guessed by: Static
[close]

#25 (1/12)
"Boss Battle" - [NDS] Learn With Pokémon: Typing Adventure (Pokémon #4)

Timestamp: 0:58 - 1:09

Hint: From one of the four main series (indeed, it is!). Boss battle theme. The game was never released in North America. (requested by InsigTurtle)

Yes, you read that title correctly. I went there.

My GOD is this track so incredibly badass that it just makes me wonder WHY THE HELL THIS IS IN A TYPING GAME OF ALL THINGS

For some reason this game never got an NA release. It was, of course, released in Japan, but it was also released in Europe and even in that nonexistent country (continent?) they call Australia (or was it Austria? I don't remember), but not in North America. Why, Nintendo? I want my badass typing game :(

Hilariously enough, it looks like I'm not the only one who knows this track. High five to Latios!

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 16, 2017, 03:49:10 PMi gotta go now so i can't read everything in detail but 25 looks like something i should know but don't
Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 16, 2017, 10:17:46 PMhmmmn

can i use a hint on 25
Quote from: InsigTurtlei knoe i've heard the melody before though
for tootin' because i could predict the rest from the first measure

Guessed by: Latios212
[close]

??? (3/12)
"Lovely Yellow Va-Va-Vrooms (High-Quality Rip)" - [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot

Timestamp: 0:05 - 0:15

Y'know, I'm really not sure what was going through my head when I was transcribing this. I think I was high. Or something. Maybe it was because I drank too much milk.

Don't worry; this one didn't count for any points. Which is good, because we don't need Dudeman getting free points for SiIvaGunner memes around here... (At least, not yet...)

Quote from: DudemanOKAY YOU MADMAN I'D LIKE AN EXPLANATION

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • Latios212
  • LeviR.star
[close]

Hard Section (9): Scores
Latios212, Static, Trasdegi, WaluigiTime64 (1)
Dekkadeci, Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow, ThatHiddenCharacter, Yug_Guy (0)

Average Score: 0.33 (3.7%)

Quote from: DudemanThe hard section makes me sad
[close]

IMPOSSIBLE

#37 (8/12)
You know, I actually still don't know what it is. That's how impossible this one is. I heard it in the background of some YouTube video and posted a comment asking for the song name, but everyone replied to me with some stupid meme song. Talk about unhelpful...

So I turned to NSM, hoping that a few of you might recognize this one and help me out in this here pickle. But you guys spammed me with even more memes! Even worse, every single person gave a different answer!

And since, to this moment, I'm still not even sure what the name of the song is, I will unfortunately not be able to award any points for getting this melody correct. I'm sorry. Please understand.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64yes i am listening to this whole thing
it's snow halation

Quote from: Static#37: Main Theme - 7 Grand Dad Deluxe Collector's Edition

Quote from: Dudeman#37: Jerry Temporary by Paul McCartney

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 16, 2017, 03:49:10 PMi think the last one is uhhh... "blizzard" by "the polite"

Quote from: Yug_Guy on August 16, 2017, 03:49:48 PMImpossibru - Dasand Dudestorm

Quote from: Maelstromis 37
shooting stars
i think it is

Quote from: Trasdegi on August 19, 2017, 08:16:48 AM#37: darude - dankstorm

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 16, 2017, 03:35:08 PM#37: Sandstorm, by Darude (i.e. this song)

QuoteLatios212: also I have no idea what last one is
mastersuperfan: you lack knowledge in memes
Latios212: I DON'T HAVE THE TIEMZ
Latios212: I keep up with some things
Latios212: but I can't keep up with everything
mastersuperfan: fair enough
Latios212: woah
Latios212: woah
Latios212: woahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoah
Latios212: better
mastersuperfan: lol
mastersuperfan: yes

(By the way, for anyone wondering about the number 37, it has to do with Pokémon. That's your hint.)

Guessed by:
  • Dekkadeci
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • Maelstrom
  • Static
  • Trasdegi
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

Impossible Section (1): Scores
Dekkadeci, Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Maelstrom, Static, Trasdegi, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (1)
Latios212, LeviR.star, NocturneOfShadow, ThatHiddenCharacter (0)

Average Score: 0.67 (66.7%)

Quotemastersuperfan: also, fun fact
mastersuperfan: the average score in the impossible section is a 0.73
mastersuperfan: that's like not even half as much as the average medium score, see how impossible it is?
WaluigiTime64: 0.73 out of what
mastersuperfan: that's irrelevant
WaluigiTime64: no it's pretty relevant
[close]

SCORES BY SERIES:

Mario (4)
Static (3)
Dudeman, InsigTurtle, LeviR.star, Maelstrom, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (2)
Latios212, Trasdegi (1)
Dekkadeci, NocturneOfShadow (0)

Average Score: 1.58 (39.6%)

QuoteLatios212: I'm pretty disappointed on my mario performance
mastersuperfan: ...to be honest, I am too
mastersuperfan: then again it's better than last time where I screwed everyone over with Mario
Latios: whups

Quotemastersuperfan: lol you got more Mario than Latios
Maelstrom: Wait how
[close]

Kirby (4)
ThatHiddenCharacter (3)
Latios212, LeviR.star, Static (2)
Dekkadeci, Dudeman, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (1)
InsigTurtle, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow, Trasdegi (0)

Average Score: 1.08 (27.1%)
[close]

Pokémon (4)
Latios212 (4) - PERFECT!
Dudeman (3)
InsigTurtle, Yug_Guy (2)
NocturneOfShadow, Trasdegi, WaluigiTime64 (1)
Dekkadeci, LeviR.star, Maelstrom, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter (0)

Average Score: 1.17 (29.2%)

Quotemastersuperfan: well
mastersuperfan: you got 4/4 on the Pokémon this time
mastersuperfan: so there's that
mastersuperfan: lol #25
Latios212: yay!!
[close]

Zelda (4)
Dudeman (3)
NocturneOfShadow, Yug_Guy (2)
Latios212, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter (1)
Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle, LeviR.star, Maelstrom, Trasdegi, WaluigiTime64 (0)

Average Score: 0.83 (20.8%)

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 16, 2017, 03:08:38 PMoh never mind that was a bit disappointing

4 points isn't worth using hints on

please make the next one better

I guess I'm missing Zelda ones which greatly limits the games they appear from to like, 3.  Oh well.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 16, 2017, 05:43:40 PMhm, then I'm not sure why I can't find the last two Zelda songs...

oh crap they better not be from spinoff titles

Quotemastersuperfan: your current 0/4 Zelda, however, bugs me
Maelstrom: My zelda knowledge is very, very spotty
[close]

Miscellaneous (9)
Dekkadeci, Maelstrom (3)
Dudeman, Yug_Guy, NocturneOfShadow, Trasdegi, WaluigiTime64 (2)
InsigTurtle, Latios212, LeviR.star, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter (1)

Average Score: 1.75 (19.4%)
[close]

mastersuperfan

OVERALL SCORES AND STATISTICS

AND THE WINNER IS...
DUDEMAN!   (I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!)

With an outstanding score of 11/25!

Now, the more important part...
Congratulations to our two runner-ups, Latias121 and Yug_Gal, each with a score of 9/25!

...Is it just me, or does something feel a little off here...?
[close]
[close]

Score List
1st: Dudeman (11)
2nd: Latios212, Yug_Guy (9)
4th: Static, ThatHiddenCharacter (7)
6th: WaluigiTime64 (6)
7th: InsigTurtle, LeviR.star, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow (5)
11th: Dekkadeci, Trasdegi (4)

Average Score: 6.42 (25.7%)

QuoteThatHiddenCharacter: I don't know how you know me so well. It's kinda creepy.
mastersuperfan: I know people's ranges from observing a) what they put on their own quizzes and b) which ones they recognize / get mad about not recognizing on others' quizzes
ThatHiddenCharacter: Insightful
mastersuperfan: but not Insigful, because after this time I still can't predict what Insig can and can't get

Quote from: InsigTurtleawaiting my verbal spanking
[close]

Melodies per Participant
Dekkadeci (4): 1, 7, 10, 13 (37)
Dudeman (11): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 14, 16 (?, 37)
InsigTurtle (5): 1, 3, 6, 8, 12 (37)
Latios212 (9): 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 12, 16, 25 (?)
LeviR.star (5): 1, 2, 3, 7, 8 (?)
Maelstrom (5): 1, 3, 8, 10, 13 (37)
NocturneOfShadow (5): 1, 5, 6, 9, 10
Static (7): 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 15, 24 (37)
ThatHiddenCharacter (7): 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 11
Trasdegi (4): 1, 3, 6, 17 (37)
WaluigiTime64 (6): 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 20 (37)
Yug_Guy (9): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 16 (37)
[close]

Participants per Melody
#1: Dekkadeci, Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Latios212, LeviR.star, Maelstrom, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy, NocturneOfShadow, Trasdegi (11)
#2: Dudeman, Latios212, LeviR.star, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (7)
#3: Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Latios212, LeviR.star, Maelstrom, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter, Trasdegi, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (10)
#4: Dudeman, Yug_Guy (2)
#5: Dudeman, NocturneOfShadow, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter, Yug_Guy (5)
#6: Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Latios212, NocturneOfShadow, Trasdegi, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (7)
#7: Dekkadeci, Latios212, LeviR.star, ThatHiddenCharacter (4)
#8: Dudeman, InsigTurtle, LeviR.star, Maelstrom, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (8)
#9: Dudeman, Latios212, NocturneOfShadow, Yug_Guy (4)
#10: Dekkadeci, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow (3)
#11: ThatHiddenCharacter (1)
#12: Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Latios212 (3)
#13: Dekkadeci, Maelstrom (2)
#14: Dudeman (1)
#15: Static (1)
#16: Dudeman, Latios212, Yug_Guy (3)
#17: Trasdegi (1)
#18: (0)
#19: (0)
#20: WaluigiTime64 (1)
#21: (0)
#22: (0)
#23: (0)
#24: Static (1)
#25: Latios212 (1)
?: Dudeman, Latios (2)
#37: Dekkadeci, Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Maelstrom, Static, Trasdegi, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy {8}
[close]

List of Scoreboards

Scoreboard (Update #1) - Latios212, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64, Static, Dudeman (5)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  |  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  |  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ?  |  37
[close]

Scoreboard (Update #2) - NocturneOfShadow, Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle, Yug_Guy, Maelstrom (10)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

[close]

Scoreboard (Final) - Trasdegi, LeviR.star (12)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  |  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  |  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ?color]  |  37
[close]
[close]

Hints Remaining
Dekkadeci: 1
Dudeman: 3
InsigTurtle: 1
Latios212: 3
LeviR.star: 2
Maelstrom: 3
NocturneOfShadow: 3
Static: 2
ThatHiddenCharacter: 1
Trasdegi: 3
WaluigiTime64: 2
Yug_Guy: 3
[close]

Cumulative Scores (Rounds A, B, C) (75)
1st: Dudeman (35)
2nd: Latios212, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (24)
5th: Static (19)
6th: ThatHiddenCharacter (18)
7th: LeviR.star (17)
8th: Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle (14)
10th: Maelstrom (13)
[close]

SCORE SPREADSHEET (click the Round C tab)

Finally, I'll leave you all with one last note. On Round D, the fourth and final round of this 100-point competition, there will only be 3 tracks from each main series instead of 4. Yep, that's right. Only 3 Mario, 3 Kirby, 3 Pokémon, and 3 Zelda melodies; one in Easy, one in Medium, and one in Hard.

Of course, this means that the rest of the melodies will be categorized as Miscellaneous instead. So the next quiz will have a whopping 13 Miscellaneous melodies--4 in Easy, 4 in Medium, and 5 in Hard. This is not a decision I've made lightly (in fact, it's actually very liberating in terms of designing and balancing the quiz), and now I'm very interested as to how the final results will come out, especially considering our current three-way tie for second place overall.

Overall all 100 melodies, we'll have had 15 melodies from each of the four main series and 40 Miscellaneous melodies. You can bet that I'm going to summarize results over all 100 melodies in one final post, so don't give up on Round D, your last chance to do well and demonstrate just how well you know your video game soundtracks.

Hope you had fun this round, folks. See you next time.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 20, 2017, 07:03:06 AM
#11 (1/11)
"Sand Canyon Map" - [SNES] Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Kirby #3)

Hint: From one of the four main series. The transcribed melody is the entire loop. While the song is first heard during a certain cutscene, it does not play exclusively during that cutscene (i.e. it also plays outside of the cutscene). (requested by Static)

A map theme may have been a tad tricky, but I wanted to use a Sand Canyon track and I was running short on options. Sand Canyon 1 got used in Static's second quiz. Sand Canyon 2 is just a remix of Gourmet Race. And Sand Canyon 3... well, that got remixed in Planet Robobot, and we don't want Dudeman getting more points than he already has, do we?

NIce job to ThatHiddenCharacter for being the only one to get this one. (Until Levi gets here, that is...)

He never got it.

Guessed by:
  • LeviR.star
  • Static
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]
You might wanna check the guessed by part.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

mastersuperfan

Oops. That was me predicting who would get what at the start of the round and forgetting to change it...

Trasdegi

#12 (3/11)
"Great Canyon" - [MUL] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red & Blue Rescue Team (Pokémon #2)

Timestamp: 0:36 - 0:51

Also in: [3DS] Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon ("Sand Dune of Spirits")

Great Canyon, huh? What about the GRAND Canyon?

Did you know? Dudeman has played Red Rescue Team. And here we were watching you constantly making a point about how you aren't familiar with PMD music.

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • Latios212
[close]

I really should play this game, it's the only pmd I've never played...

#16 (3/11)
"Looker's Theme" - [NDS] Pokémon Platinum (Pokémon #3)

Timestamp: 0:01 - 0:14

Also in:

I actually don't remember very much about this dude, but I was hoping that the fact that he's appeared in four different generations would help to lower the obscurity level a bit. Thankfully, it worked.

I find it funny how the intro gets faster with every remix...

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • Latios212
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

hmm, I didn't know he was in pacman ( check the first "also in" link)
#17 (1/11)
"Main Theme" / "Pull Up a Chair" - [PC] Hearthstone (Miscellaneous #5)

Timestamp: 0:08 - 0:16

Thank you, Trasdegi, for getting this one. I was starting to get pretty sad that nobody recognized this one...

Three other people knew the Overwatch theme, but none of them knew the Hearthstone theme. Sad.

Guessed by: Trasdegi
[close]

WHY WAS I THE ONLY ONE TO GET THIS???

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Trasdegi on August 20, 2017, 08:40:26 AMhmm, I didn't know he was in pacman ( check the first "also in" link)

Oops, thanks. Fixed.

Quote from: Trasdegi on August 20, 2017, 08:40:26 AMWHY WAS I THE ONLY ONE TO GET THIS???

That's what I'm wondering too... ???

Yug_Guy

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 20, 2017, 07:03:22 AM
Now, the more important part...
Congratulations to our two runner-ups, Latias121 and Yug_Gal, having tied on my quiz for the fourth time in a row, each with a score of 9/25!

...Is it just me, or does something feel a little off here...?
[close]
Neat.

And I don't know what you're talking about - everything looks okay to me.

Dudeman

Now for some assorted thoughts from your reigning MSF quiz champion:

Believe it or not, I only missed one easy melody on quizzes A and C. Coincidentally, the number I missed both times was oh dear this is embarrassing...number 7.

Trasdegi, the reason nobody else got the Hearthstone theme is because this is NSM.

I never thought this would happen, but...I opened the spoiler tag for #???, right? And there's the video. I know what the answer was, I got it. I clicked the video, ready to hear one of my favorite high-quality rips, and...
As the video hit 0:05, I froze. I was bamboozled. This was not what I was ready to hear. For the first time in my life, I clicked on a video that I thought was a high-quality rip...and instead I got a high-quality rip.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Dudeman on August 20, 2017, 10:05:08 AMAs the video hit 0:05, I froze. I was bamboozled. This was not what I was ready to hear. For the first time in my life, I clicked on a video that I thought was a high-quality rip...and instead I got a high-quality rip.

;)

BrainyLucario

When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.