Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

What is this sense of humor?
Is it
could it be
Actually funny?

LeviR.star

Forgot to take the quiz, but #4 & 12 would have been obvious.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

InsigTurtle

Quiz is still open, will be gone for half the day though! I'll post the results around noon tomorrow, unless I decide to go for a walk

Static

I'm not going to be here at all for the rest of today, so I figured I'd post my quiz now:

Static's Miscellaneous Melody Quiz V (Round 50)
[.MID] [.MUS] [.MUSX] [.PDF]

Because I felt lazy kind, I made this quiz shorter and considerably easier than my last ones. There's at least 4-5 songs here everyone should know (hopefully). For the first time, one of my quizzes has a theme to it. This theme applies only to the excerpts I used and may not always apply to the entire song that each melody is from. That's you're only hint, though. If you correctly guess the theme, then I may throw around some bonus points or something, we'll see what happens I guess. Also, only one game series is used more than once this time around. Good luck!

And yes, this is already the 50th melody quiz.

Dudeman

agh fuck I forgot to participate in this round

congrats msf (probably)
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mastersuperfan

I would've won even if you competed. ;)

I don't know who the heck that first 9/13 is, but I'm pretty sure they would've beat you too. Lat's the other one. You'd have lost to both of them.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dudeman

A quick trip through the midi gives me 8/13. I'll concede a loss but I wouldn't have been left in the dust.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

InsigTurtle

Want to see the results? Check the Scoreboard!

A couple of things. This round's theme, was alternating between music ranging from cheerful to downright trolly and super emotional music. If you know the scene #7 plays in, following it up with carefree happy Yoshis is just a little bit of a mood swing. And following the miracle that never happen with holy shit i just heard the most discordant truck horn in existence anyways uh following the miracle that never happen with a comical and whimsical "peaceful place" sets the stage for the following melodies. And there's that disgusting truck horn again.

So yeah. MSF is this round's Jeb!

Doing the scoreboard this way is actually pretty fun, and I fuck that truck horn found it to be a lot easier than giving score updates on the forums. Plus, Jeb!

Yug_Guy

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 21, 2017, 03:19:48 PMAnd following the miracle that never happen with holy shit i just heard the most discordant truck horn in existence anyways uh following the miracle that never happen with a comical and whimsical "peaceful place" sets the stage for the following melodies. And there's that disgusting truck horn again.
lolwut

But yeah, good quiz this round! Though I'm still a bit upset you didn't use the superior version of the Jeb! electoral map.

InsigTurtle

There was a truck driver whose horn sounded like a D Eb F G A B cluster while others had ones that sounded like F G and F Ab

And as I said, the guac bowl is simply too overpowered for this poor scoreboard

Static

There was a discrepancy in Melody IV that I fixed so the quiz should be pretty much perfect now. I apologize if any of you guys were thrown off by that, so if you were, check the quiz again and see the new slightly-altered melody.

Static

Sorry for the double post, but I'm just here to remind you guys that I'll be posting the answers to the quiz at around 9PM EST. If you plan on participating, be sure to submit your answers in by then, as well as your guesses for the theme of the quiz.

mastersuperfan

Unfortunately, Lux, who is scheduled to go today, isn't able to host his round as usual. Wah, who's scheduled to go next, doesn't seem to be around at the moment (and last time we talked he mentioned that he was only halfway done, so I don't know if he's finished).

I've been communicating with some people and I've settled on this course of action: to avoid messing up the immediate schedule too much, I'm going to post my next round now instead of during my usual spot. I'll most likely let my round go until Thursday (since it's almost Tuesday where I am), and Wah's round can last from Thursday to Saturday. THC and Dekka will still host their rounds according to the dates on the schedule, and then Yug will go right after Dekka instead of me.

Anyways, without further ado:

MSF ROUND B

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 14, 2017, 09:17:33 PM
The Difficulty Format
For the next four quizzes, I'm going to be splitting up my quiz into three difficulty sections as follows:
  • Easy: Either iconic themes or just tracks from very popular games. Expect to get at least half of these. I wouldn't be surprised if there were one or more perfect scores in this section. Simple at the start, but it gets a bit trickier by the end.
  • Medium: Harder than the Easy section, obviously. Each game has likely been played by at least a couple members here. Expect to get a couple of these.
  • Hard: Don't expect to get any of these. No, seriously, don't.
[close]

Franchise Representation
The four main franchises are all represented exactly four times--three times between the Easy and Medium sections and once in the Hard section:
  • Mario
  • Kirby
  • Pokémon
  • Zelda
Luigi, Yoshi, and Captain Toad games all count as Mario. Wario and Donkey Kong games do not.

Other than these four franchises, no series is repeated within a single quiz.
[close]

The Hint System
Here is where things might get a little convoluted. Each of you are all going to have three hints over my next four quizzes. You can message me with a request for a hint on a specific melody if you know you've heard but you don't know where from.

The catch? I post the hint publicly in the thread for everyone to see. Be assured, however, that the person who requested the hint will remain anonymous until the end of the round.

Hints will be larger for the Hard melodies and smaller for the Easy melodies since, well, the Hard melodies are obviously harder. I would advise you to list any information about the song that you think you already know so I can avoid giving you information that overlaps that isn't useful to you.

You can use multiple hints on a single quiz if you wish. You can also choose not to use all of your hints, or any at all. You cannot, however, use multiple hints on the same melody or request a hint for a melody that someone else requested a hint for.

At the moment, everyone has all 3 hints except for THC, Dekka, and Levi, who each have 2 hints left.
[close]

Scoreboard (Final)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25
[close]

Requested Hints (4) - 3, 6, 9, 24
  • #3: From one of the four main series. DS game.
  • #6: From one of the four main series. Plays in one of the first few levels/areas in the game. The melody I transcribed comes right after the super famous part.
  • #9: From one of the four main series. Plays during the final boss battle. (Apparently not nearly as recognizable as I thought.)
  • #24: Not from one of the four main series. Not playable on a Nintendo system, either. Battle theme. Played by a violin section.
[close]

(Let us pray that #7 does not backfire again...)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Sorry for the long wait, here are the answers:

Answers
Melody I

[SNES] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - "The Dark World"
Timestamp: 0:06 - 0:15
# of Correct Responses: 3/6 (mastersuperfan, Yug_Guy, Dudeman)
[close]
Melody II

[GCN] Super Smash Bros. Melee - "Menu 1"
Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:12
# of Correct Responses: 6/6 (mastersuperfan, Yug_Guy, WaluigiTime64, Dekkadeci, Dudeman, ThatHiddenCharacter)
[close]
Melody III

[SNES] Chrono Trigger - "Battle 1"
Timestamp: 0:07 - 0:22
# of Correct Responses: 1/6 (mastersuperfan)
[close]
Melody IV

[MUL] Shovel Knight - "Main Theme"
Timestamp: 0:13 - 0:18
# of Correct Responses: 4/6 (mastersuperfan, Yug_Guy, Dekkadeci, Dudeman)
[close]
Melody V

[DS] Animal Crossing: Wild World - "Agent K.K."
Timestamp: 0:43 - 0:58
# of Correct Responses: 0/6
[close]
Melody VI

[NES] Super Mario Bros. 3 - "King Koopa Battle"
Timestamp: 0:09 - 0:17
# of Correct Responses: 3/6 (mastersuperfan, WaluigiTime64, Dudeman)
[close]
Melody VII

[Wii] Xenoblade Chronicles - "Zanza the Divine"
Timestamp: 1:00 - 1:19
[close]
Melody VIII

[SNES] Final Fantasy VI - "The Veldt"
Timestamp: 0:05 - 0:26
# of Correct Responses: 1/6 (mastersuperfan)
[close]
Melody IX

[SNES] Super Metroid - "Big Boss Confrontation 2"
Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:10
# of Correct Guesses: 0/6
[close]
Melody X

[PC] Touhou Shinreibyou: Ten Desires - "Old Yuanxian"
Timestamp: 0:06 - 0:17
# of Correct Responses: 1/6 (WaluigiTime64)
[close]
Melody XI

[GCN] Pikmin - "Impact Site"
Timestamp: 0:10 - 0:19
# of Correct Responses: 1/6 (ThatHiddenCharacter)
[close]
Melody XII

[SNES] Donkey Kong Country - "Ice Cave Chant"
Timestamp: 0:25 - 0:42
# of Correct Responses: 1/6 (WaluigiTime64)
[close]
Melody XIII

[SNES] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Timestamp: 0:18 - 0:28
# of Correct Responses: 2/6 (Yug_Guy, Dudeman)
[close]
Melody XIV

[SNES] Secret of Mana - "What the Forest Taught Me"
Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:13
# of Correct Responses: 1/6 (Yug_Guy)
[close]
Melody XV

[PS1] Chrono Cross - "Marbule - Home World"
Timestamp: 0:05 - 0:16
[close]
[close]

Congratulations to the winner...
Spoiler
...mastersuperfan, with 6/15 correct responses!
[close]

Statistics
Other Scores
Yug_Guy: 5/15
Dudeman: 5/15
WaluigiTime64: 4/15
Dekkadeci: 2/15
ThatHiddenCharacter: 2/15
[close]
# of Correct Responses per Melody
I: 3
II: 6
III: 1
IV: 4
V: 0
VI: 3
VII: 0
VIII: 1
IX: 0
X: 1
XI: 1
XII: 1
XIII: 2
XIV: 1
XV: 0
[close]
Correct Responses per Contestant
mastersuperfan: I, II, II, IV, VI, VIII
Yug_Guy: I, II, IV, XIII, XIV
WaluigiTime64: II, VI, X, XII
Dekkadeci: II, IV
Dudeman: I, II, IV, VI, VIII
ThatHiddenCharacter: II, XI
[close]
Other Data
# of Contestants: 6
# of Melodies Correctly Guessed: 11/15
Average Score: 4/15
Most-Guessed Melody: II
[close]
[close]

Quiz Theme
The theme for this quiz is the use of modal excerpts. Melodies I-V are primarily in Dorian, VI-X are primarily Phrygian, and XI-XV are primarily Mixolydian. There are a few spots in some excerpts where it doesn't exactly align with a mode, but most of the time they do. I didn't know how many people would figure this out (or if any would), but I thought it would be fun to see what happens.
[close]

Maelstrom