News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekkadeci

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 31, 2017, 09:09:30 AMThe MUS file seems to link to your fourth quiz instead.
Corrected just now.

May as well put the quiz here, too:

Here's my fifth Guess-The-Song Quiz:
[PDF] | [MIDI] | [MUS] | [MSCZ]

The MUS is readable in Finale, including Finale Notepad. The MSCZ is readable in Musescore. All other files are based on the original MSCZ, not the MUS--this explains why the PDF doesn't look like the MUS.
The MUS may display and/or play back bugged. The MSCZ, MIDI, and PDF shouldn't.

The bonus section is back (quite possibly for the last time for me)! This round, each melody in the bonus section is from a song that was either written for a video game series but not for any of its games (and they never appear in a game), or they weren't written for any video game series but they appear in one and are prominently associated with that one. All such melodies are labelled #1b through #4b. I will reveal separate tallies for the main section, the bonus section, and both sections combined when I post the results.

This quiz is likely easier than each of my previous two quizzes, though don't feel too bad if you only get one or two! PM away!

You can PM answers to me until Wednesday, August 2 at 5:00 PM MDT (a.k.a. Thursday, August 3 12:00 AM forum default time). I will not count any submissions made after that time, as I'll be too busy tallying results.
Results will be posted shortly afterwards.

Some guidelines for answering, how the melodies are transcribed, and what counts as a correct answer--oh yeah, and some hints right off the bat:
  • You may submit YouTube links/videos instead of game name-song name/best known use pairs.
  • All tempos are approximate.
  • Like last time, I will mark unambiguous songs with the right melody in the right key as correct. If your guess has the right melody in the wrong key, I will mark it as incorrect but PM back that you were close. You can freely guess again until the deadline.
  • I may not have gotten octave voicings correct in this quiz. If you think you've got the right song but it's off by an octave or two in parts, just guess that song anyway.
  • As before, I PM hints! If you can't figure out the song at all, but you guess the series the melody is from and/or give a YouTube link to a similar-sounding piece, I'll PM back about whether you're on the right track.
  • This time, you are only expected to submit series name-song name/best known use pairs or YouTube links/videos for the bonus section. I'm being lenient here because at least one melody in the bonus section doesn't appear in any video games at all.
  • #5 and #3b are less likely to be completely melodically and/or rhythmically accurate than the rest of the melodies.
  • In addition, repeated notes in #5 were sometimes hard to make out, #9 seemed to flange every note when I transcribed it, and #1b's song plays back sharp (so it got hard to transcribe at times).
  • The last bar of #3 is incompletely transcribed.
  • The only series with more than one song in this quiz are Mario, Kirby, and Undertale, all with 2 songs apiece. None of the other songs share a series.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Last chance to guess for my quiz. I can't say when I'm going to post the answers, but be prepared for any time after now.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

mikey

Petition to ban non boss rpg battle themes as they're all generic and sound the same
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

ThatHiddenCharacter

And now answer time! I am extremely pressed for time and I have ran out of time. I only got half the answers down. I will have msf post the rest or if he can't, I'll post them tomorrow afternoon.

Answers
Melody 1

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Adventure Map (Other accepted answers: Subspace Emissary thing from Brawl.)

Guessers: msf, Levi, Diedman, Dekka, and Noc
[close]

Melody 2

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - SHOWTIME!

[close]

Melody 3

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Final Boss

Guessers: Diedman, Dekka

I'm rather disappointed Levi didn't get this one.
[close]

Melody 4

Diddy Kong Racing - Haunted Woods

Guessers: Dekka
[close]

Melody 5

Kirby's Return to Dreamland - Forest Area

Guessers: msf, Diedman, Levi
[close]

Melody 6

Super Mario RPG - Dodo's Coming!!

Guessers: Should've been everyone, this song is frickin' amazing msf

The video was intentional.
[close]

Melody 7

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Sacred Grove (Other reluctantly accepted answers: Lost Woods.)

Guessers: Noc, msf, Diedman
[close]

Melody 8
I couldn't find a video.

Mega Man III - Wily Stage 2

Guessers: Levi, Diedman
[close]
[close]
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

mastersuperfan

Err... okay.

"Spaceship Part Obtained!" - Pikmin

Timestamp: 0:00

Guessed by: mastersuperfan
[close]

"Game Corner" - Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Versions

Timestamp: 0:12

Guessed by: mastersuperfan, Trasdegi
[close]

"Buy Somethin' Will Ya" - EarthBound

Timestamp: 0:25

Guessed by: mastersuperfan, Dudeman
[close]

"Spooktune" / "Spookwave" - Undertale

Timestamp: 0:15

Guessed by: mastersuperfan, Dekkadeci, Dudeman

spoopy
[close]

"Dummy!" - Undertale

Timestamp: 2:21

Guessed by: mastersuperfan, Dekkadeci, Dudeman
[close]

"Main Theme" - Angry Birds

Guessed by: LeviR.star
[close]

"Kirby's Pad" - Kirby's Epic Yarn

Timestamp: 0:06

Guessed by: mastersuperfan, Dudeman, LeviR.star
[close]

I won with 11/15. Apparently. THC neglected to mention that I also got #8 (not because I've ever heard of that game before or anything, but just because I looked at Levi's sheet way back when).
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Maelstrom

LeviR.star

Melody 8
I couldn't find a video.

Mega Man III - Wily Stage 2

Guessers: Levi, Diedman
[close]

I'm guessing you were A.) Pressed for time and couldn't find this, or B.) Being bombarded by its NES counterparts because you didn't specify down to "GB". I know, it's tough. But really, this may be a great tune, but the only reasons Dudeman and I got it are because we're Mega Man fans, and that I arranged it just a few months ago. Even if I submitted it, too, Mael, Latios, and Wah are busy right now.

2. Huh.
3. Whoa whoa whoa, I only got the regular Boss theme last time because I had part of the game's boss rush when I was bored.
14. Why the heck was I the only to get this one? Everyone should know this theme, even those who only saw the movie! Also, no harmonies if you can avoid them, please. That makes the game too easy.
15. This would have sounded strange without both voices, so I'll allow it.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mastersuperfan

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 01, 2017, 06:45:13 AM14. Why the heck was I the only to get this one? Everyone should know this theme, even those who only saw the movie!

...There's a movie?

EDIT:

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 01, 2017, 06:45:13 AMAlso, no harmonies if you can avoid them, please. That makes the game too easy.

And yeaaaaah this I thought this went with saying since the beginning but apparently not. It's called Guess-That-Melody quiz for a reason, you know. You should only be transcribing multiple voices in rare cases, such as if it's not unclear which note/voice is the melody at any given point.

Static

I'll be posting my quiz now since the current scheduled host couldn't go today.

Static's Miscellaneous Melody Quiz V (Round 55)
[.MID] [.MUS] [.MUSX] [.PDF]

Like my 4th quiz, this one is exceptionally challenging. To account for this, I've prepared a series of optional hints for you all to use if you want.

Hints
  • Two franchises are used more than once
  • The major Nintendo franchises represented in this quiz are Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Metroid, F-Zero, Mother, & [Edit: Animal Crossing].
  • 6 melodies are from games that were originally only released in Japan and may not have been officially localized.
  • 14 melodies are from games that can be played on Nintendo systems.
  • The earliest game featured in this melody quiz was released in 1986; the latest was released in 2017.
[close]

Good luck!

EDIT: Another small hint as been added that I forgot to mention earlier.

mastersuperfan

#2 worries me because I don't know it

#3b on Dekka's has been killing me for days too

Buuut on a different note this thread is almost at 100 pages o.o

LeviR.star

Yea, that surprises me. Most of my forum games don't go very long.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Dudeman

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 02, 2017, 11:51:05 AM#2 worries me because I don't know it

#3b on Dekka's has been killing me for days too
hee hee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Dudeman on August 02, 2017, 12:25:28 PMhee hee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thank you for telling me that #2 is not from Breath of the Wild