News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

not gonna lie I've actually been laughing really hard over Static's whole quiz
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 23, 2017, 01:49:49 PMI suppose that's what I get for playing exactly one of the games in Static's last quiz...without the sound on.

For Wah's currently quiz, I know 14 (but only from combing soundtracks for previous quizzes' guesses).

I don't think 14 is the obscure melody...right?
#14 is not the obscure melody.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

WaluigiTime64

7 people have guessed so far. Of the melodies, 11, 13, and 16 have not been guessed.

A hint has been requested for #5:

Hint: #5
#5: Less well-known part of a reasonably well-known title screen of a Nintendo game. Played by chiptune.
[close]

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 23, 2017, 04:15:45 AMWAH'S MELODY QUIZ NO.7:
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

mastersuperfan

why did I request a hint for #5

I just remembered what it was before even looking at the hint and now I'm sad

also that is the biggest hint ever known to mankind
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

WaluigiTime64

9 people have guessed so far. Of the melodies, 13 has not been guessed.

A hint has been requested for 4 and 12.

#4, #12
#4: Not a Mario melody, but another popular Nintendo franchise. Plays in the menu.
 #12 All of the leading instruments in this particular piece are diegetic in-game. The transcribed part is played by 4 different instruments.
[close]

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 23, 2017, 04:15:45 AMWAH'S MELODY QUIZ NO.7:

mikey

unmotivated

Dekkadeci

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 24, 2017, 03:34:19 PMWhat does diegetic mean
Diegetic means being played by in-universe apparatus (e.g. in-game musical instruments, in-movie boom box, in-video Walkman).

See http://filmsound.org/terminology/diegetic.htm and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diegesis#Film_sound_and_music for more.

mikey

unmotivated

mastersuperfan

Dekkadeci

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 24, 2017, 03:56:25 PMall of Wah's hints are huge
#4's hint was so huge I got the song based on that.

(I'd previously asked Wah if the song was from the Mario series, given its resemblance to the Mario Invincibility Star theme, and he said no. The hint also says it's not from the Marioverse.)

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 24, 2017, 04:07:06 PM#4's hint was so huge I got the song based on that.
<possibly implying that a hint serving its purpose is not to be expected>

Well anyway, here's yet another hint, no doubt very obvious as well:

#11: The level this music plays in is the only one in the game based on a secondary colour.
[close]

Stats are the same currently excluding scores, which I can't reveal obviously.

WaluigiTime64

Answers will be posted approximately 11-12 hours from now. Make sure to get answers in at least an hour before then. A reminder will (hopefully) be posted around that time.

Dekkadeci

As I've posted in the "I'm Away" topic, I'll be taking a trip from Aug. 29 to Sept. 1, 2017, so I'll have limited Internet access then and I won't be able to open .mus's and possibly MIDIs.

Somehow, I might not miss any Guess-That-Song quizzes, assuming I guess on Monday, Aug. 28 and Friday, Sept. 1...

...but I didn't feel like putting too much stress on myself for the upcoming Sept. 2 quiz I'm hosting, so I'm telling you all that my next quiz is a Redux Quiz!

Nearly half the quiz (as of right now) is made of melodies from songs people have put in their previous quizzes (be they me or someone else). If someone else uses any of the melodies I've already used in my next quiz, I'll check that I transcribed unused portions.

There are two melodies in the end that I've transcribed from unofficial remixes of VGM themes, but not their originals. Don't comb actual video game OSTs for them. I'll tell more details about them when the quiz is released.

WaluigiTime64

Alrighty. Answers. Or something idk. 11 people participated.

Easy Section:

Underwater - Super Mario Bros.:

Timestamp: 0:14

More than the "give-me" point. It's the slightly less iconic but still very well-known theme from this game. Obviously everyone got this.

[close]

Lost Woods - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time:

Timestamp: 0:01

Had to pick an easy Zelda melody because there's no way I could've judged difficulty. This led to 10 of 11 people getting it.

[close]

Route 101 - Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald Versions:

Timestamp: 0:00

An easy-enough Pokemon melody, which was even toned down (originally it was the latter half of the song). Even then, I probably could've used something easier to get more than 6 people guessing it.

[close]

Corkboard - Kirby Super Star:

Hint:
Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 24, 2017, 01:48:18 PM#4: Not a Mario melody, but another popular Nintendo franchise. Plays in the menu.

Oops. This naturally got confused with the Invincibility Theme from Super Mario, but it's not even from that franchise. Good thing 4 people managed to get it anyway.

Scores affected by the hint: 2

[close]

Medium Section:

Title Screen - Kid Icarus:

Hint:
Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 24, 2017, 12:52:35 AM#5: Less well-known part of a reasonably well-known title screen of a Nintendo game. Played by chiptune.

Timestamp: 0:25

Every knows the first bit, but how many people know the later bits? 6 out of 11 people apparently.

Scores affected by the hint: 1 (possibly 2?)

[close]

Spear of Justice - Undertale:

Timestamp: 0:47

Yes. I did mark someone incorrect for guessing "NGAHHH", as this section isn't in that song. THC suggested that this be in the Easy Section, and he's probably not wrong considering 8 people got it.

[close]

Double Cherry Pass - Super Mario 3D World:

Timestamp: 0:04

This was toned down as well (same thing as Route 101), but I don't know how much of a difference that made to the 7 people who got it.

[close]

Title Screen - Mega Man 3

Not quite as popular as its predecessor's title screen, but still fairly well-known. 4 people got it.

[close]

Hard Section:

Packing Pests 2 - Rhythm Heaven Fever:

Timestamp: 0:03

I picked this piece in particular only because some people might've known it from Remix 10, as it appears at the start and end of it. 3 people got this one.

[close]

Chain Chomp Roulette - Mario Kart Wii:

Timestamp: 0:46

I like me some jazz. 2 people got this. Also no Maelstrom, this is not swing Brodyquest.

[close]

#11  (OBSCURE MELODY)
Green Garden - Bomberman 64:

Timestamp: 0:10

Hint:
Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 25, 2017, 12:02:29 AM#11: The level this music plays in is the only one in the game based on a secondary colour.
y'know if i wasn't being harassed criticised about my hints i might've been more considerate with this one but oh well

Ah... good nostalgia. I figured it would be reasonably guessable, but only one person got it, and it was a surprise guesser too.

Scores affected by the hint: 0

[close]

Main Title - Banjo-Kazooie:
Banjo's Theme - Banjo-Tooie:

Timestamp: 0:52

Hint:
Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 24, 2017, 01:48:18 PM#12 All of the leading instruments in this particular piece are diegetic in-game. The transcribed part is played by 4 different instruments.

I did this just to humour myself. It did bamboozle some people quite a bit too, and in the end only 3 people got it. So much for a massive hint lol.

Scores affected by the hint: 0

[close]

Lunatic Section:

Apotos Day - Windmill Isle - Sonic Unleashed:

Timestamp: 0:28

There's like, one or two people I can think of who maybe possibly could've gotten this one. Too bad no one did.

[close]

Cranky's Lab - Donkey Kong 64:

This would be a bit more patronising if everyone knew the role of this song in the game. Anyone who's played this game would get it in a heartbeat, but that quite frankly is a small number of people. Actually only two people guessed it anyway lol.

[close]

Last Remote - Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism:

Timestamp: 2:09

If I picked the section just after this one, it would've been quite easy for a Touhou one. Because I'm mean, I didn't, and I intentionally picked the part of the song that's very difficult to get, which worked on all but one person. Really there's no point in giving intermediate Touhou melodies, because I know almost exactly who'll get various ones.

[close]

Western Land - Mario Party 2:

Timestamp: 0:51

HOOTENANNY

I love this song so much. I haven't even played this game yet but the music is on-point. I kinda hinted (sort of eh not really idk) to a Mario Party 2 melody appearing by randomly posting Mario Party 2 stuff, but I probably didn't do it enough. In fact, the only one who got it was a surprise guesser.

[close]

Now, for the results. Once more. Something like that.

And the winner is...
MASTERSUPERFAN!
with a score of 11/16. Noice.
[close]

All Results:
mastersuperfan: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12. [T=11]
Yug_Guy: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 14. [T=10]
Dudeman: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 [T=8]
ThatHiddenCharacter: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9. [T=7]
Latios212: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9. [T=6]
Static: 1, 2, 6, 7, 15 [T=5]
Maelstrom: 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 [T=5]
DekuTrombonist: 1, 2, 11, 12, 16. [T=5]
NocturneOfShadow: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 [T=5]
Dekkadeci: 1, 4, 6, 14 [T=4]
Trasdegi: 1, 2, 3. [T=3]
[close]

Other Funny Stuff I guess:
Quote from: Dudeman on August 23, 2017, 11:15:03 AMI'm loving the numbering system.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 23, 2017, 11:15:03 AMthis fourth one is going to backfire on me i swear: yeah, I'm inclined to agree
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on August 23, 2017, 02:27:24 PM9 Packing Pests 2 Rhythm Heaven Fever (You probably didn't expect me to get this one. Just don't ask how I knew it and all will be fine.)
Quote from: Static and WaluigiTime64
Quote from: Staticlmao i love your filenames
i almost choked on a piece of chocolate from laughing
Quote from: WaluigiTime64thank you and i'm sorry about your throat
Quote from: Maelstromwhere is mah touhou
Quote from: mastersuperfan and WaluigiTime64
Quote from: mastersuperfanwait
that last measure in #12
I think #12 might be BK
I've definitely heard that last measure before
Quote from: WaluigiTime64well yeah it's kinda generic
Quote from: mastersuperfanwait hold on
watchu telling me boi that that last measure is "generic"
isn't that like the BK motif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQNAVqW1shA
0:11
that measure right there
that's it
Quote from: WaluigiTime64lol
it is kind of a generic mocking phrase though
Quote from: mastersuperfanyeah but I associate very much with BK
...oh wait
this is the answer
Quote from: WaluigiTime64lmao
Quote from: Yug_Guy and WaluigiTime64
Quote from: Yug_Guy on August 25, 2017, 01:23:40 PMBut hey, at least I figured out what #13 was:

13. K.K. Bossa - Animal Crossing
Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 25, 2017, 02:36:19 PMWell uh actually this time I can't accept the answer because it's not even the right series. I was considering accepting it anyway for being almost the same but the phrases are different enough. Combining that with the different key signature and drastically different tempo it's nearly impossible to get me to accept this one.
Quote from: Yug_Guy on August 25, 2017, 06:04:39 PM
[close]

In future the ratio of Easy/Medium to Hard melodies will change in favour of Easy/Medium ones (as I've stated to someone prior to this post). Well good luck with whatever next quiz is up after me. Toodles.

Maelstrom

Oh crap I forgot to ask to be taken off the schedule again