The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekkadeci

The old way we used was to transcribe melodies (or, occasionally, basslines or even chord progressions) from video game themes (very occasionally, even from upcoming games). Some people drew upon existing NinSheetMusic transcriptions; I think most of our melodies were transcribed by ear.

Libera

Let's see how this turns out then.  In the folder are ten melodies, all from final boss themes and in no particular order (I randomly generated some permutation of how I originally thought of them to avoid any internal bias).  Forum PM guesses to me (it'll be easier for me to collate them at the end that way) and I'll probably post the results in 1-2 weeks.

Folder of stuff

Let me know if there are any issues with anything and I'll try to fix them as soon as I can.

Splatoon Inkling

Libera

Quote from: Splatoon Inkling on March 02, 2019, 07:13:17 AMSo pm the answers to you?

Quote from: Libera on March 02, 2019, 05:02:35 AMForum PM guesses to me

Yes.  It's obviously easier for me if you PM all of your answers in one go, but there's nothing really wrong with doing them separately over a longer period of time.  I will, however, only accept the first guess for any particular melody, so as to avoid encouraging guessing lots of times on the same melody.

ShyYoshiGuy

Don't mean to still your thunder, Libera...

ShyYoshiGuy's SECOND EVER Guess That Melody! (Round CXXVIII CXXIX)

Good Luck All!

Ends: March 22, 2019
Next Starts: March 23, 2019

Two Things about how my Melody Quizzes and mine only (unless others adopt it) will work. This time, I'll allow Discord, but you'll still need to be a Forum Member. Once you say you have finished your guesses on Discord, I'll hand you a receipt via Forum PM for you to send back in a quote so I can put it in the Label.

Second thing, this was in play during Round 127, but I never mentioned it. You are allowed to guess the game and song independently of each other, but you're still only allowed one guess. This gets a little confusing sometimes, so lemme explain. If you're totally confident in your guess of both the game and song, you can answer at the same time. "12. Super Mario 64 - Dire, Dire Docks". If you're unsure of the song, but you're at least pretty sure of the game, you can just ask if that's the correct game first before scavenging through the OST to find it. "12. Super Mario 64". BUT, this does not yet count as a full response, and if you're wrong, you may not guess again for that Melody. If this is confusing to you, feel free to ask questions.
"Don't be nervous, be of service."
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Bobbythekid21

Is working as a team allowed? As in, two people working together, and discussing what they THINK the answer might be to try to figure out the answer?
333,331 is a prime number.
Spoiler
Quote from: Bobbythekid21 on February 24, 2019, 01:03:24 PM
Well, I'll just stick around for now and be helpful.
I'm gonna hold myself to it by constantly reminding myself of it.
[close]

Splatoon Inkling

Quote from: Bobbythekid21 on March 02, 2019, 02:53:52 PMIs working as a team allowed? As in, two people working together, and discussing what they THINK the answer might be to try to figure out the answer?
dude your blowing our cover!

Bobbythekid21

Quote from: Splatoon Inkling on March 02, 2019, 02:55:00 PMdude your blowing our cover!
We weren't sharing any answers I was just asking how you thought you were doing so far.  There's a big difference.
Spoiler
[close]

Libera

I mean obviously I can't stop you from working together, but the intention is that you do these on your own and at the end you can see how you did compared to everyone else.

Bobbythekid21

Quote from: Libera on March 02, 2019, 02:59:35 PMI mean obviously I can't stop you from working together, but the intention is that you do these on your own and at the end you can see how you did compared to everyone else.
Yeah you can't stop us but you could "disqualify" us and I'd rather play by the rules.
Spoiler
[close]

ShyYoshiGuy

I mean, I feel like you shouldn't, but I'm not going to disqualify you if you do.
"Don't be nervous, be of service."
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Libera

First of all, thanks to those who have submitted answers so far.  I've decided to publish the answers next Sunday (I'd do it on Saturday but I'll be quite busy that day) so for anyone who still wants to have a go at it, you have six days.  There's still six melodies that haven't been guessed yet, including the one that I thought would be the easiest...  But I guess popularity of the game doesn't directly translate into the melody being easier to guess.

tl;dr Results will be posted on Sunday 10th March.

Libera

As promised, here are the answers/results!  There were four people who took part, but I think there were probably others who looked and just didn't recognise any of them.  I only picked stuff that I actually knew, which probably lead to it being quite obscure...  Anyway, now for the answers!

Melody I
Ultimate Koopa - Mario 64 (0:21 -0:35)
Guesses correct: 2/4
I thought this was probably the second easiest on the list after II, and I was glad to see that half of the participants got it.
[close]

Melody II
Battle at the Summit! - Pokemon Sun and Moon (0:55 -1:08)
Guesses correct: 2/4
In my opinion this was the easiest one on the list, a well known game series matched with an easily recognisable tune so I expected more to get it, but perhaps the S/M OST isn't all that well known.
[close]

Melody III
Lucia - Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon (0:58 -1:09)
Guesses correct: 0/4
Easily the hardest on the list and I fully expected no one to get it.  I included it in the off chance that there was someone who could get it (and because its a cool song).
[close]

Melody IV
Shadowlord - NieR (0:00 -0:17)
Guesses correct: 1/4
The only one here that I'd already arranged, so getting the melody was a simple copy and paste.  Glad to see someone got it.
[close]

Melody V
Battle with Providence - Bravely Second: End Layer (0:19 -0:30)
It was either this or something from Serpent Devouring the Horizon, but I figured this had a more easily recognisable melody.  Either way, no one got it.
[close]

Melody VI
The Extreme - Final Fantasy VIII (0:51 -1:07)
I guess people don't like/know FFVIII here, as I felt like I picked a pretty easy section for this piece.
[close]

Melody VII
Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess - Touhou 8: Imperishable Night (0:00 -0:16)
This one was really easy if you know Touhou at all.  An extremely recognisable melody.  I'd say this was the third easiest on the quiz, only losing out to first and second place because of Touhou's relative obscurity.
[close]

Melody VIII
The Last - The Wish Punished - Mega Man Zero 2 (0:13 -0:27)
I wasn't really sure how this would go down since I'm not really sure about Mega Man Zero's popularity, but I'm glad someone got it!
[close]

Melody IX
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War - Versus Julius (0:00 -0:10 [although it pretty much does this for the whole piece])
It wouldn't really be a quiz by me if there wasn't a Fire Emblem track in here somewhere.  I decided to stay away from the newer games because I thought that would be too easy, but on retrospect that was probably a bad idea considering how the rest of the quiz turned out.
[close]

Melody X
Ikaruga - The Stone Like (0:00 -0:13)
I'm sad that no one knows Ikaruga, but fair enough.
[close]

And now the results...

The winner is...
mastersuperfan !!!
with 3/10 (II, IV and VII) correct guesses.  Nice work!

The other participants were:
Dudeman with 2/10 (I and VIII) correct guesses,
Splatoon Inkling with 1/10 (I) correct guesses
and Latios212 with 1/10 (II) correct guesses.
[close]

Thanks to everyone who took part, and if I do another one I'll try to make it easier...

Bobbythekid21

Eh, yeah I got the first one but I never submitted it. I also don't feel so bad about not knowing the other ones. I've never heard of most of them and I've only played Super Mario 64.
Spoiler
[close]