News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

The Official Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum Project

Started by Latios212, July 16, 2016, 06:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

In addition to what Libera said:
- I'd just suggest aligning the swung eighths with the triplets in m. 4 and 35+ (lmk if I missed anywhere else)
- The 16th rests appear a bit odd in m. 10/14, since we're in swing here. I get that you want to denote a slight lift between the two notes, but it appears a bit strange in this piece (especially with the lower layer in 14). Feel free to change it or not, though.
- Some of the slurs are pretty close to the triplet 3s, would recommend nudging them up a bit.

And that's all from me!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Libera on December 17, 2019, 05:00:23 PMThe only thing I have to add is that the url and subtitle/page number on page 2 aren't aligned to the margins.
Ah yes, more formatting from the dark ages

Quote from: Latios212 on December 17, 2019, 05:36:40 PM- I'd just suggest aligning the swung eighths with the triplets in m. 4 and 35+ (lmk if I missed anywhere else)
Changed these, and also added one more to layer 2 in m11

Quote from: Latios212 on December 17, 2019, 05:36:40 PM- The 16th rests appear a bit odd in m. 10/14, since we're in swing here. I get that you want to denote a slight lift between the two notes, but it appears a bit strange in this piece (especially with the lower layer in 14). Feel free to change it or not, though.
Changed to tenuto eighths instead

Quote from: Latios212 on December 17, 2019, 05:36:40 PM- Some of the slurs are pretty close to the triplet 3s, would recommend nudging them up a bit.
I remember struggling with shaping the slurs a lot when I wrote this. Hopefully they're alright now

I also flipped another tie in m15 LH

New files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nyu2k94udrgvbvr/AAD95qxm0XMJ_5aVSUebfe-sa?dl=0

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

69 -The Legendary Pokémon Appears! - Libera

This looks pretty solid, though I feel like some of the chord inversions/octaves don't really fit the original. Specifically:
- Pickup aside, I think the RH chords more resemble this:
You cannot view this attachment.
- RH of 12-end would sound heavier down an octave

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

For JDMEK5:

Quote from: Static on July 29, 2019, 12:43:57 PM2nd Check
Battle! (Team Galactic) - JDMEK5
  • My only concern is with the accidentals; I feel like a lot of these would technically be flats or double flats instead of naturals. However, what you have is, at least in my opinion, a lot clearer and easier to read, so I'm fine with keeping it as is. If you're fine with that too, I'll accept.
[close]

Quote from: Static on December 15, 2019, 04:46:00 PM46 - Battle! (Team Galactic Commander)
- m3-10: F#s and Ans should be Gbs and Bbbs.
- m35-46 LH: All Ans should be Bbbs.
- m43-46 RH: All sharps/naturals should be flats (Ab minor-ish section).

Quote from: Static on December 15, 2019, 05:24:28 PM65 - Battle! (Team Galactic Boss) - JDMEK5
- I don't know if this is possible to do in Finale, but if you can make those beams over the rests double instead of single, I think that would be good. An 8th note beam over a 16th rest just looks strange to me.
- https

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on December 19, 2019, 05:36:09 PM69 -The Legendary Pokémon Appears! - Libera

This looks pretty solid, though I feel like some of the chord inversions/octaves don't really fit the original. Specifically:
- Pickup aside, I think the RH chords more resemble this:
You cannot view this attachment.
- RH of 12-end would sound heavier down an octave

Sure I can make those changes.  Files updated.

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on December 17, 2019, 06:10:23 PMAh yes, more formatting from the dark ages

Sweet, accepted!

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on December 20, 2019, 03:40:02 PMSure I can make those changes.  Files updated.
Cool, looks good to me! (though I would like whoever's looking next to take a peek at the pickup measure, not totally sure about that at the moment)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Latios212 on December 09, 2019, 04:40:10 PM119 - Trainers' Eyes Meet (Artist) - Th3Gavst3r
- I think this should be in D major. Compare with how the duet on site looks, though let me know if you think there are any mistakes there.
- I'd recommend getting rid of the 8vb in the left hand, as this makes the chords sound muddy as well as make the cross-staffed part near the end impossible to reach
Yeah I agree, even though the accidentals are pretty annoying :P

Quote from: Latios212 on December 09, 2019, 04:40:10 PM- I'd recommend getting rid of the 8vb in the left hand, as this makes the chords sound muddy as well as make the cross-staffed part near the end impossible to reach
Just moving everything up an octave sounded way too thin to me, so I put a lot of effort into revoicing the chords to compromise between the awesome obnoxious ragtime bass and the lighter mid-range chords. There are some jumps that are pretty difficult (m4 beat 3-4...) but the piece is already really difficult all-around, so let me know if there's anything you think is just inhuman.

Speaking of inhuman, I also changed the triplet 16ths in the last measure to just be straight 16ths.

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on December 17, 2019, 04:33:36 PMNew files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nyu2k94udrgvbvr/AAD95qxm0XMJ_5aVSUebfe-sa?dl=0

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

69 - The Legendary Pokémon Appears!
Only one thing. There should be an m12 in between what is currently m11 and m12 which is essentially a duplicate of m11. That is, the bassline is the same and the whole notes in each are tied together.

Maelstrom

119 - Trainers' Eyes Meet (Artist)
m2 b4 RH - I'd recommend putting in the C# into that chord as the current one doesn't capture the Adim feel of the original.
m11/13 RH b1-b2 - I'm pretty sure these single 16th notes are played as octaves. If you are strongly against for playability, that's fine. Still, I'd like to have them in there
m12 b4.25 RH - There's a C# grace note leading up to this chord here.

That's all.

Libera

Quote from: Maelstrom on January 04, 2020, 11:53:36 AM69 - The Legendary Pokémon Appears!
Only one thing. There should be an m12 in between what is currently m11 and m12 which is essentially a duplicate of m11. That is, the bassline is the same and the whole notes in each are tied together.

Nice spot there, whoops on my part.  I've uploaded a new file with the fix.

Maelstrom

JDMEK5

Quote from: Latios212 on December 20, 2019, 03:07:52 PMFor JDMEK5:
*Quotes from Static*

Via discord fixed Static's edits and a few more things:

Battle! Team Galactic
- Cb in LH in measures 36 and following
- Used some Cbs in LH in first part (and last part) for cleanliness
- RH measure 35 and following used Cb to illustrate parallel 3rd action and cohesion thereby
- Fixed note clashing between hands in last measure

Battle! Team Galactic Commander
- Implemented Static's thought in measures 3-10 up to where it was reasoned to be helpful in reading (as in, not completely but partly).
- Implemented the rest of Static's comments.
- Optimized measure 50 for playability
- Cleaned double accidentals between voices in RH in measures 30, 48, and 50
- Removed courtesy accidental in measure 44 RH
- Cleaned spacing on last page
- Rewrote 32nd notes in measure 34 as grace notes for simplicity
- Slurred grace notes throughout
- Fixed near collisions in measures 18 and 41
- Fixed lower page margin

Battle! Team Galactic Boss
- Fixed staff spacing with header throughout
- Fixed staff spacing on last page
- Flipped stems in lower voice RH in measures 43-50
- Removed notes in measures 28 and 76 for playability
- Optimized RH low bit between measures 29-30 for playability
- Revoiced measure 63 for playability
- Removed repeat sign from the last measure, leaving only the D.S.
- Optimized RH lower voice notation in measure 84.
- Ran another general accidental check.
- Cleaned double accidentals throughout
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Latios212

Nice! I'm moving 41 - Battle! (Team Galactic) to accepted based on Static's comment last time.

I've already approved the other two, so they're pending acceptance from others.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle