[3DS] The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures - "A Battle of Wits ~ Opening Moves" by Metamyrrh

Started by Zeta, July 10, 2023, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Ace Attorney
Game: The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: A Battle of Wits ~ Opening Moves
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Metamyrrh

Metamyrrh

XiaoMigros

Hi! Welcome to NinSheetMusic! Before your sheet is put up on the main site, the folks here will leave feedback on it, for you to review and implement! Once 2 updaters (staff members) give their approval, your sheet will be accepted and appear on site in the next update! I'll be your first updater for this sheet.

It's unfortunate that you're not able to make edits independently, but there's not much that can be done about that. I'm happy to convert any files for you as needed, I'll just need a MusicXML file with the necessary changes!

• I think the intro would be better written in 2 measures of 4/4.
  • I'm not sure on this, but do you think the whole thing would be better written in 7/4? Beat 1 of every second measure sounds like an offbeat to me
  • When you have two adjacent grace notes, they should be written as 16ths rather than 8ths. The G here I think is actually G#.
  • I hear a low string line here that you could include below the existing LH line
  • Also, for the lower voice in the RH, I think you could add in more of the 8ths to give this part more of a driving feel.
    The B before the G should be an A.
  • m3: There's a D below the A in the RH here that you might want to add
  • For the LH from here onwards, you could have beat 1 of each measure be played in octaves, to accentuate it slightly
  • m5: I think beat 1 is A, not C. Applies to all similar places too
  • m7-10: Do you think you could fill in the RH a little more here? Just including more of the high string notes like you do in m10 would be good
  • m10: I think beat 1 in the LH would be better lowered an octave (semi-redundant, see point above)
  • m11+: I hear chords in the RH here, like in m19+
  • m21: I think beat 1 in the LH is a low E, not a B
  • m19+: I hear the harmony a little different here: C again in m20, then G in m21.

More to come later on, but this should be enough to keep you busy! Please reach out if you have any questions or uncertainties :)

Metamyrrh

Thank you very much for the feedback and warm welcome! :)

Quote from: XiaoMigros on July 11, 2023, 12:54:40 PMI'm not sure on this, but do you think the whole thing would be better written in 7/4? Beat 1 of every second measure sounds like an offbeat to me
It's funny you suggest this since I originally transcribed this in 7/4 and changed my mind. I couldn't figure out a division of the rhythm into integer amounts of quarter notes while it divides somewhat nicely into 2+2+3 eighths. Does that agree with your ear? Another idea would be to only double the LH on the first beat of every other measure

Quotem3: There's a D below the A in the RH here that you might want to add
Just my opinion, I don't think the D sounds as nice when held.

Quotem7-10: Do you think you could fill in the RH a little more here? Just including more of the high string notes like you do in m10 would be good
I'm struggling to hear additional notes in m7-8, but for now I added the high note in m7 for the RH.

Everything else I gave my best shot here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/njiqpbbdobz57vn/A_Battle_of_Wits_%257E_Opening_Moves_v2.musicxml/file I had a hard time keeping the RH playable in m1-2 while preserving the rhythm.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Metamyrrh on July 11, 2023, 08:16:56 PMIt's funny you suggest this since I originally transcribed this in 7/4 and changed my mind. I couldn't figure out a division of the rhythm into integer amounts of quarter notes while it divides somewhat nicely into 2+2+3 eighths. Does that agree with your ear? Another idea would be to only double the LH on the first beat of every other measure
To my ears, the doubled LH on every second measure doesn't sound like a first beat, but rather like it's played on an off beat. My ears seem to be subdiving the piece into 2+2+2+2+2+2+2 eighths, in part because the LH seems to play only filler notes on beat X.5 (except for that off beat part I mentioned). The end of the second measures in particular would look much better beamed in twos, in my opinion.

Quote from: Metamyrrh on July 11, 2023, 08:16:56 PMJust my opinion, I don't think the D sounds as nice when held.
That's interesting, because I quite like it :p If you'd rather leave it out that's okay, but I would recommend removing the notes the lower A is tied to so it doesn't clash with the LH

Quote from: Metamyrrh on July 11, 2023, 08:16:56 PMI'm struggling to hear additional notes in m7-8, but for now I added the high note in m7 for the RH.
I filled this part in a little for you, tell me what you think!

Quote from: Metamyrrh on July 11, 2023, 08:16:56 PMI had a hard time keeping the RH playable in m1-2 while preserving the rhythm.
I messed around with this part also, I'm hearing some notes slightly differently that happen to make it easier to play. Again, let me know what you think!

• Beat 1.5 in m1 should be split into eighths tied to quarters, to expose the 3rd beat in the measure. You can simplify beat 1 to dotted quarters.
  • I feel like all of the A octaves in the LH would be better off an octave higher? Mainly for playability purposes so there's less jumping involved, but I also prefer the sound in some places
  • The Gs in the LH in m20 I think are Ds
I don't have time to get to the rest of the sheet right now, but in the meantime I got the files updated for you. Thanks for the swift response!

Latios212

Quote from: XiaoMigros on July 12, 2023, 02:13:49 AMTo my ears, the doubled LH on every second measure doesn't sound like a first beat, but rather like it's played on an off beat. My ears seem to be subdiving the piece into 2+2+2+2+2+2+2 eighths, in part because the LH seems to play only filler notes on beat X.5 (except for that off beat part I mentioned). The end of the second measures in particular would look much better beamed in twos, in my opinion.
For what it's worth, this piece also makes more sense to me intuitively in 7/4 rather than 7/8.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Metamyrrh

Quote from: XiaoMigros on July 12, 2023, 02:13:49 AMTo my ears, the doubled LH on every second measure doesn't sound like a first beat, but rather like it's played on an off beat. My ears seem to be subdiving the piece into 2+2+2+2+2+2+2 eighths, in part because the LH seems to play only filler notes on beat X.5 (except for that off beat part I mentioned). The end of the second measures in particular would look much better beamed in twos, in my opinion.
Oh I see what you're saying, and now I'm back to hearing it in 7/4, lol. Accordingly took out the octaves in the second half of each measure's LH.

QuoteThat's interesting, because I quite like it :p If you'd rather leave it out that's okay, but I would recommend removing the notes the lower A is tied to so it doesn't clash with the LH
Oops, that's my bad with the octave being the same as the LH. I put in the D to keep the RH sounding full.

QuoteI feel like all of the A octaves in the LH would be better off an octave higher? Mainly for playability purposes so there's less jumping involved, but I also prefer the sound in some places
This is great, much more playable! Thanks for spotting.

The parts that you filled in sound very nice to me! Still unsure of the ninths in mm1-2, but I know I have small hands and those lower notes aren't essential. I also added some RH in what is now m4 to go with the RH in m6, and shifted the G that had been in the LH in now-m11 into the RH.

Updated musicxml: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ry10y92lhr1t4a6/A+Battle+of+Wits+~+Opening+Moves+v3.musicxml/file Thanks both for taking a look! :)

Kricketune54

Hey sorry for a bit of a wait on this sheet, but was thinking now that we've gone through your other one that we could see where we could get here as well. The Mediafire link appears to have expired though, could you do the same we did for your other sheet and attach MuseScore and xml?

Kricketune54

Quote from: Metamyrrh on October 07, 2023, 02:02:46 AMWhoops, sorry, I didn't realize the link would expire. Here are the files: https://www.mediafire.com/file/adwlj5046kr4ql9/A+Battle+of+Wits+v3+reupload.zip/file

I think that's one reason most use Google Drive or Dropbox for file hosting here - the file links won't expire on you.

Let's start a little simple with this one. I will do my best to not take two weeks to respond to you, as the Project sheets are finally starting to wrap up, but this sheet is going to require a bit of work; I'd prefer to first help you get the aesthetics in order since I know this sheet went through some large changes with the time signature.

• For 7/4, beats are grouped either 3+4 or 4+3; what this looks like is this:
Spoiler
[close]
It might seem a little weird, but think of it like you are splitting the measure into two unequal haves, because measures are split across a "middle" between whole beats (1 quarter note in 7/4's case), not separated on a beat (dividing across a half note, like at m9 currently).

Now, for this song, I think 4+3 makes more sense; and from here, you can go through and make sure this is consistent throughout.  I would take this feedback, and apply throughout the entire 7/4 time section. Please see this screenshot of current m7 as a guide for how to fix the beaming
Spoiler
[close]

For the LH group the first half of the measure (4 beats) into two groups of eight 8th notes; then for the second part of the measure, two 8th notes, and four 8th notes grouped together.

• This same beaming/subdivision tip also applies for giant beams like at RH m14; you would not beam across the entire measure

A little more specific
•  Tempo I counted 2 bpm slower, at q = 154
•  I didn't call this out on your other sheet when converting it to Finale files, but Nintendo isn't technically correct to put in the credits. We typically put the actual publisher/developer there, who should just be Capcom in this case.

When making edits based off the above, I would take a look at how your previous sheet I helped you with looks aesthetically at this point, how dynamics are aligned, grouping of rests according to time signature, other beaming basics, etc and applying those principals here as well. I didn't check notes this time, because I think it will be much easier to sort that out after we get things fixed visually. That said, I would encourage you to reexamine this sheet with what was gained from going through your other Ace Attorney sheet. And do ask questions if any of the above requires further explanation  :)

Metamyrrh

Thank you for your feedback and sorry for the delay! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I know it requires more effort on your part than helping someone who knows more about notation and arranging.

Here are the updated files with fixed rhythm grouping, tempo, and credits. https://www.mediafire.com/file/bjyklkawesdaj3a/A+Battle+of+Wits+v4.zip/file

Kricketune54

Quote from: Metamyrrh on October 29, 2023, 12:37:22 AMThank you for your feedback and sorry for the delay! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I know it requires more effort on your part than helping someone who knows more about notation and arranging.
You're welcome, and no worries on the time to respond, as is unfortunately evident my responses have been a bit delayed this month. You're making some great strides in your updates and I've appreciated your patience. I think we all look to gain a bit from reviewing each other's sheets :)

• This is a relatively high tempo song, but I'd suggest looking into the following patterns for the LH; as you've sort of shown with beat 1 of m3 LH the bassline is doubled, but this could be expanded upon in more sections. Here's a couple examples you could follow: 
m3:
[close]
m4+5:
[close]

The idea is to simulate those doubled notes approximately every other beat, except for those tougher parts for beats 6.5-7.5.

• m3 RH not hearing D under the An. Same goes for m25.
• m4 RH 1.0 is a G and D just like 2.5, and there's a D above a G on 7.5
• m7 RH and throughout page 1 mostly, beat 4.0 and 4.5 (both 8th notes)'s beams should be connected
• m9 RH last two 16th notes sound like a C and C#
• m10 RH 4.5 these notes could be down an octave to their original pitch
• m12 LH 4.5 this An is up an octave actually
• m13 LH 4.0 is an An, and 4.5 is a Bb
• m13 RH the 8th rests in the first layer seem to have become a bit misaligned; 1.5 and 2.0 should be same height, and the 8th rest on 4.0 is too high compared the quarter rest on 3.0. I would also either remove the RH layer 2 lower tied note or add the upper octave as well.
   - Additionally, in the RH, there's an A 8th note on beat 1.5, as well, and for the F's from beat 4.5 on in the RH I hear An's underneath
• m28 RH hearing this:
Spoiler
[close]

Metamyrrh

LH throughout: I decided to go a different direction from your examples to mimic some of the the rhythms of the percussion in the original. Wondering what you think of this? It results in many of the notes not being octaves, for playability's sake.
m3 RH: I want to keep the D under the An for a fuller sound here.
m10 RH: Still hearing the notes in beat 4.5 in the octave they're written.

Everything else should be fixed. Thanks for the feedback and corrections! :) https://www.mediafire.com/file/egwill8mjeb3poz/A+Battle+of+Wits+v5.zip/file

Kricketune54

Quote from: Metamyrrh on November 20, 2023, 11:53:39 PMLH throughout: I decided to go a different direction from your examples to mimic some of the the rhythms of the percussion in the original. Wondering what you think of this? It results in many of the notes not being octaves, for playability's sake.
Okay! I think what I was was recommending might be slightly easier overall, but this pattern you've gone with seems to work for representing the percussion

Quotem3 RH: I want to keep the D under the An for a fuller sound here.
This is fine with me. Normally not big on "arranged" notes for this site outside of adding octaves, but adding an octave doesn't really work here.

Quotem10 RH: Still hearing the notes in beat 4.5 in the octave they're written.
Relistening, I hear as you have

More beaming

• m5 RH the whole rest on 3.0 should be a half rest followed by a quarter rest and then a half rest. This better shows that 7/4, 4/3 distribution.
•  m12 RH, given the 7/4 split, the half note on beat 4.5 should be an 8th note tied to a dotted quarter. The new 8th would also beam just like m11's 4.0 and 4.5.
• Also, for m13 RH, the dotted quarter note rest on 3.0 should be a quarter and 8th rest. In all quarter note time signatures (ex. 4/4, 3/4, 7/4), dotted quarter rests are a bit irregular. Believe it or not, for the LH, the dotted half rest is also not usually suggested in quarter note time, because it is clearer to tell the beats if you write this as a quarter rest followed by a half rest.
• m22 RH, I think the top/1st layer needs to have the Cn on beat 4.5 made a part of it split into a 3rd layer. Still face the same direction, but do this so the Gn in first layer that starts on beat 2.5 should be a an 8th note, then tied to a half note.  Also, the lower/2nd layer note starting on  beat 1.0 should be a dotted half tied to an 8th note.
   - to spare the trouble of following everything, I did make this screenshot of how this should look, but I wanted to provide the description as well.
Spoiler
[close]
• m23 RH, this measure also needs some beaming work. Not to make this hard on you, but let's see if you can apply some of the stuff from previous examples here as a first go through; for starting point, I would split this into two layers though, (the top notes, the Bn, Cn, and the three 8th's at the end should be the first layer, the bottom notes I haven't mentioned as the bottom layer).

Notes and Other stuff
• m18 not hearing the 2nd layer notes (the Dn and E)n
• m17 beat 7.5 I hear an 8th note length En, and m18 1.0 sounds like an 8th rest.
• m20 RH beat 6.5 An to the end these sound staccatoed as well. I guess in that case the slur could also be removed here
• m20 also sounds more like 8th rest for beat 1.0 RH
• m24 RH 3.5 hearing an An 8th note
• m25 maybe you could lower the mp a little, that way it's centered evenly between the notes as opposed to the two staffs (looks a tad neater that way).

Let me know if you have any questions on anything!

Metamyrrh

Thank you very much for the feedback! All the beaming should be fixed. Most of the RH notes you mentioned (m17 beat 7.5-m18 beat 1.0, m18 beat 6.5-8.5 second layer, and m20 beat 1.0) are meant to represent the harp, which I do hear clearly, just in a different octave.

Here are the updated files. https://www.mediafire.com/file/6x8rwlsuo68dknl/A+Battle+of+Wits+v6.zip/file