News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Call for potential new site art!

Started by Latios212, March 23, 2020, 08:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

Hello everyone!

A while back I put up a notice saying that we'd soon be seeking out new art for the site (sorry, time really flies!). While the current banner has served us well for almost ten years now, it may be time for a visual refresh. Now that the new design has rolled out and everyone has had a chance to give it a feel, the time has come to open the floor up to submissions!

What we are looking for is:
- A banner! This must be responsive so as to fit different screen sizes and ratios.
- A logo! This must be in SVG format in order to scale well.
- Anything else will be taken into consideration but not necessarily used.

Submissions will be open for one month from this post, with potential for extension if deemed necessary. As a disclaimer, we may or may not end up picking a winner if it is determined the options don't suit the site, and we may need to follow up to iterate on the art before a final decision is reached.

Any questions, please do ask.

Dropbox folder with files
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wos6a98tgglutyf/AAAdRFtf54wx8hr-ETROQj2sa?dl=0

Banners
- Current
- fi_le
- KC Symphony #1
- KC Symphony #2
- KC Symphony #3
- SirBone

Favicons
- KC Symphony
- Current

Logos
- Advos
- Current
- KC Symphony
- Sir Bone

Shirt designs (note: at the moment t-shirts are still purely hypothetical)
- Advos
- KC Symphony
- Sir Bone
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mikey

unmotivated

AmpharosAndy

innit

mikey

unmotivated

Advos

What are the dimensions for the banner
存在就是痛苦 存在は苦しみだ 존재는 고통이야

fi_le

Hi folks!

This is my first post on the forum, but my millionth visit; I've enjoyed the amazing sheet music on here for my mediocre piano playing for a few years now.
That's why I'd really like to give back, in this way (Well, once I tried transcribing a waltz from Dragon Quest IX - pure catastrophe!).

I like drawing and painting a lot, if you want to look through some of my work, I have a digital sketchbook on a similarly charming and homely web forum: It's here. (Obviously we love visitors :)
That said, in all my drawing experience there isn't much at all when it comes to vector graphics, I would have to see how well I can deal with something that's neither paper not pixels.

Now, I did draw a little thing up to be developed further - I can't seem to find the image upload function though.

As for the technical stuff:
Quote from: Advos on March 25, 2020, 11:14:21 AMWhat are the dimensions for the banner

The classic banner we all love has dimensions 940x200, the website cuts the bottom part off to dimensions 940x153 and then to 940x54 depending on screen width - as far as I can tell that is.

Quote from: mikey on March 23, 2020, 08:51:27 PMNo
I wonder if there could be a toggle button for old and new version...

Anyways, have a great day!
月を代わって、お仕置きよ!

Latios212

Hey welcome, or should I say welcome back :P

Quote from: fi_le on March 26, 2020, 10:34:26 AMNow, I did draw a little thing up to be developed further - I can't seem to find the image upload function though.
You can just put a link to the image hosted somewhere else via
[img]your link here[/img]
Quote from: fi_le on March 26, 2020, 10:34:26 AMI wonder if there could be a toggle button for old and new version...
Now there's an idea...

Quote from: Advos on March 25, 2020, 11:14:21 AMWhat are the dimensions for the banner
I'll check with Deku what we're looking for, but it looks like fi_le put the current dimens above

Edit: It doesn't have to be a specific size so long as it would look good on multiple screen resolutions.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

fi_le

Hi again!

Testing the image function with my mini-concept:

Quote from: Latios212 on March 26, 2020, 03:33:35 PMEdit: It doesn't have to be a specific size so long as it would look good on multiple screen resolutions.

Alrighty, I'll try to come up with something cool the next few days.

As for the logo, are you looking for something that fits into a circle (/ square)?
月を代わって、お仕置きよ!

fi_le

OK, I've got something! The idea was to populate a piece of sheet music with Nintendo characters that are actually small enough to fit, so there we have a red pikmin and Minish Cap link roaming around in an arrangement from this site. (Bonus Quiz: Which arrangement?)

Due to larger image size I opted for a different upload method this time, hope it works...

If someone has a really good idea for another little guy to get into there, I might be able to add them (Depending on both free time and drawing ability :^)

Edit: Oh, right, I forgot to mention some technical stuff - The background color should be the same as the bottom part of the website, namely #F1F7F9   
The banner currently has its own background color, #B1C6D6, but I think my dimensions of 2000x200 should cover that. I'd recommend changing the banner backgroud to the lighter one and cropping the image though since it takes a bit of load time off. Hope that was intelligible!

Edit 2: Also, I wanted to see how it looks in context, so here:

月を代わって、お仕置きよ!

SlowPokemon

This is hitting me hard because the old site banner went up literally the week I joined NSM, ten years ago. It's like a blast from the past. :)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Latios212 on March 26, 2020, 03:33:35 PMNow there's an idea...
Or, like the idea I suggested, we could have different site themes (The Cave of Dragonflies is a good example of a site with themes). "NSM Christmas," "NSM Halloween," "NSM Classic," "NSM Modern," "NSM Purple," the potential list goes on!
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Latios212

Quote from: fi_le on March 28, 2020, 03:45:11 AM(Bonus Quiz: Which arrangement?)
Hehe that's Spiral Mountain from Banjo-Kazooie right? :P

Quote from: fi_le on March 28, 2020, 03:45:11 AMIf someone has a really good idea for another little guy to get into there, I might be able to add them (Depending on both free time and drawing ability :^)
Ahh that's adorable! If I had to make a suggestion, I'd give a character from Mario/Pokémon a chance in the spotlight too as they're (along with Zelda) the most represented series on the main site.

Anyway, I'm going to keep a running list of participants in the original post, while we figure out what to do with the submissions - I very much like the idea of utilizing them all as different themes or through some other means ^^

For the rest of you, if you haven't already, please post if you're interested and planning on submitting something as well!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

fi_le

Quote from: Latios212 on March 28, 2020, 03:44:53 PMHehe that's Spiral Mountain from Banjo-Kazooie right? :P

And we have a winner! :)

Quote from: Latios212 on March 28, 2020, 03:44:53 PMIf I had to make a suggestion, I'd give a character from Mario/Pokémon a chance in the spotlight too as they're (along with Zelda) the most represented series on the main site.

Sure thing. My main idea for Pokémon was Shaymin; I looked through a list sorted by size and all the really small ones were from the very recent generations. (And I really like Shaymin Land Forme of course.)

For Mario, well, why am I explaining anyways, here's the updated version:

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on March 28, 2020, 02:31:16 PMOr, like the idea I suggested, we could have different site themes (The Cave of Dragonflies is a good example of a site with themes). "NSM Christmas," "NSM Halloween," "NSM Classic," "NSM Modern," "NSM Purple," the potential list goes on!
If my banner is picked I'd surely also find time to do a few holiday editions, sound like a lot of fun!
月を代わって、お仕置きよ!

Advos

Quote from: fi_le on March 29, 2020, 06:12:42 AMFor Mario, well, why am I explaining anyways, here's the updated version:

That looks great to me, nice job. I was gonna give it a shot but idk how i'm gonna beat that
存在就是痛苦 存在は苦しみだ 존재는 고통이야

Advos

I did attempt to draft out a quick logo, but i'm not really diggin it now that I look at it. But just in case it might inspire somebody, i'm posting it anyways

logo
[close]
存在就是痛苦 存在は苦しみだ 존재는 고통이야