News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Static's Replacements

Started by Static, May 30, 2020, 06:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

Quote from: Static on June 19, 2020, 10:44:15 PMTitle Screen - SMK
  • Aligned.
  • Yes, it's played by the same instrument in the same channel, so I can only assume it's part of the melody.

Sonny & Don Resetti - Animal Crossing
  • Fixed. I also moved the systems down and the staves closer together, so that the tempo marking aligns with the time signature, as well as moving the copyright info so it's within the margins.
  • Added.
  • I decided to change the name to simply "Resetti Themes", since the individual names of each Resetti are not entirely well-known to most people.
Alrighty, approved :P
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Accepting Toad House (NSMB) and Choose Your Driver (SMK)

Approving Melty Molten Galaxy (SMG) and Battle at the Big Bridge (FFV)

They're great as is, so I'm approving them now, but I did want to leave a couple of small things for consideration on Melty Molten and Battle at the Big Bridge:
- I pointed out that some measures in Melty Molten had held notes in one layer and staccato'd re-articulations of it in another layer. A similar thing happens with the LH 16th note on beat 1.75 of m13-15. You might consider tying that 16th note to an eighth note on beat 2 to show that the re-articulation should remain held.
- Battle at the Big Bridge could use some courtesy accidentals, like a Gn in m48 RH or Cn/Gn/Db at the beginning of m52 RH. That said, there are enough accidentals flying around already, so I understand if you want to leave them out.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Hell Prominence (Melty Molten Galaxy)
Super happy to see this one! Aside from what MSF said above...
- Remind me again why aren't we just calling this one "Melty Molten Galaxy"? The English OSTs have that title vs. "Hell Prominence" is the translated Japanese. It would also be more recognizable to the general public, I think, as Melty Molten Galaxy...
- Page 1 is pretty cramped and the last page is pretty empty; would you be open to shifting things down a system?
- I think some slurs on the top melody would be nice in the m. 53+ section to contrast with the lower layer
- I don't really think beat 1 RH of m. 74/82/90/98 should be staccato

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Title Screen - Super Mario Kart

Everything checks out! Except... m16 RH beat 4 should be an A#-F dyad, instead of B-G.

That's all.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 07, 2020, 10:32:50 PMTitle Screen - Super Mario Kart

Everything checks out! Except... m16 RH beat 4 should be an A#-F dyad, instead of B-G.

That's all.

Change was made (it's actually B-F not A#-F oops) so I shall accept

Static

Melty Molten Galaxy (Hell Prominence)
Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 06, 2020, 10:15:09 PM- I pointed out that some measures in Melty Molten had held notes in one layer and staccato'd re-articulations of it in another layer. A similar thing happens with the LH 16th note on beat 1.75 of m13-15. You might consider tying that 16th note to an eighth note on beat 2 to show that the re-articulation should remain held.
- I did something a little different.
Quote from: Latios212 on July 07, 2020, 03:10:50 PM- Remind me again why aren't we just calling this one "Melty Molten Galaxy"? The English OSTs have that title vs. "Hell Prominence" is the translated Japanese. It would also be more recognizable to the general public, I think, as Melty Molten Galaxy...
- Page 1 is pretty cramped and the last page is pretty empty; would you be open to shifting things down a system?
- I think some slurs on the top melody would be nice in the m. 53+ section to contrast with the lower layer
- I don't really think beat 1 RH of m. 74/82/90/98 should be staccato
- Unlike other Japanese names for this soundtrack, this one is very noticeably different from the English title (compared to Egg Planet or Wind Garden) also it just sounds really cool. However, I switched the titles so Melty Molten Galaxy is the first one.
- Done
- Added
- Removed

Battle at the Big Bridge
Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 06, 2020, 10:15:09 PMBattle at the Big Bridge could use some courtesy accidentals, like a Gn in m48 RH or Cn/Gn/Db at the beginning of m52 RH. That said, there are enough accidentals flying around already, so I understand if you want to leave them out.
- Yeah I'd prefer not to for that reason.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on July 08, 2020, 10:12:45 AMMelty Molten Galaxy (Hell Prominence)
Sweeet, accepting! :D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Resetti
Accepted

Battle to the Death
-Can any effort be made to line up the cresc. and forte in m42-43?
-This one is up to you, but maybe break the beams over rests and the sets of 3 8ths? I'd personally recommend it.
Notes seem really great. Something feels off about m25 but all the notes seem to be correct. \

Main Theme of FFV
I hear 3rds in the first beat in the LH, no different from m2. Same for m3]
I can hear a 2nd constant note making disonnaces in the LH. This is hard to explain, but for m1-5 I hear that extra note as a G above the chord. For m6, an A. This gets really important in m8, however, because that note is now an A and that forms a nice dim chord on beat 3 that is completely lost otherwise. What do you think about adding this in in some way? That harmony is present throughout the first page. It stays in a 6th above the root until m13, where it returns to the 5th for 3 measures, before going back to the 6th in m16, which is the reason there's a difference in the bassline between m15 and 116.
-I know its because we use ped differently markings, but it's really bothering me that it ends prematurely in m28. Either extend it to the end of the measure or have the next measure's marking appear there.

Aside from that, it's prety great, nice job

for some reason, the chord progressions here remind me of fire emblem 4 and i can't tell why.

Static

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 08, 2020, 03:23:13 PMBattle to the Death
-Can any effort be made to line up the cresc. and forte in m42-43?
-This one is up to you, but maybe break the beams over rests and the sets of 3 8ths? I'd personally recommend it.
Notes seem really great. Something feels off about m25 but all the notes seem to be correct. \
- Done.
- Done.
- I moved some notes down an octave so they would be under the melody, but I didn't add or change any, so maybe that's why it sounds a little off.

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 08, 2020, 03:23:13 PMMain Theme of FFV
I hear 3rds in the first beat in the LH, no different from m2. Same for m3]
I can hear a 2nd constant note making disonnaces in the LH. This is hard to explain, but for m1-5 I hear that extra note as a G above the chord. For m6, an A. This gets really important in m8, however, because that note is now an A and that forms a nice dim chord on beat 3 that is completely lost otherwise. What do you think about adding this in in some way? That harmony is present throughout the first page. It stays in a 6th above the root until m13, where it returns to the 5th for 3 measures, before going back to the 6th in m16, which is the reason there's a difference in the bassline between m15 and 116.
-I know its because we use ped differently markings, but it's really bothering me that it ends prematurely in m28. Either extend it to the end of the measure or have the next measure's marking appear there.
- The RH chord has the same note, so I gave it priority over the LH.
- Yeah I hear that too, I only used 2 notes because I thought the LH might overpower the RH, but I think I'll add them back in.
- Fixed. I moved it so the ^ would be under the note like in the other markings.

Maelstrom

battle to the death is approved

For main theme, this is what I meant:

Static

Maelstrom

Latios212

Main Theme of FINAL FANTASY V (that's what the title reads like)
- Any reason the brass melody in the intro is raised an octave?
- The runs at the end of m. 4 sound like they should both be inverted upwards once (i.e. arpeggiating C but higher)
- The cresc. in m. 18 should extend further to the right
- Flip the lower rid upwards in m. 19-20
- Any reason why some of the beat 1s in m. 21+ don't have harmonies under them? It sounds like the texture could be a little thicker here
- I think the chord in m. 35-36 would do nicely with a G on bottom to make it sound fuller
- m. 39 beat 1 G in the melody should be flat

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on August 21, 2020, 05:58:24 PM- Any reason the brass melody in the intro is raised an octave?
- The runs at the end of m. 4 sound like they should both be inverted upwards once (i.e. arpeggiating C but higher)
- The cresc. in m. 18 should extend further to the right
- Flip the lower rid upwards in m. 19-20
- Any reason why some of the beat 1s in m. 21+ don't have harmonies under them? It sounds like the texture could be a little thicker here
- I think the chord in m. 35-36 would do nicely with a G on bottom to make it sound fuller
- m. 39 beat 1 G in the melody should be flat
- Good question, I think that it cuts through the low-mid texture in the RH better than if I had it in the mid-range an octave lower. It's supposed to be a fanfare.
- The last note in m4 is a E, and it just goes down from there.
- Fixed.
- Done.
- I went by just the voices in the original, but you're right, it should be thicker. I added some notes.
- Added.
- Oops, fixed.

About the title, I got it from the original release here. FFVII's main theme is also capitalized, but IV's isn't for some reason... and VI doesn't have a main theme at all.

Latios212

Main Theme of FINAL FANTASY V

Awesome. Accepted ^^

Spoiler
[close]
turtle