News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

Yug Guy's Replacements

Started by Yug_Guy, May 30, 2020, 07:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on July 11, 2020, 08:36:13 AMRace Theme 01
- Any reason the melody in the beginning is raised an octave?
No idea - don't know what past me was thinking. Fixed.

Quote from: Latios212 on July 11, 2020, 08:36:13 AM- There are a few notes in particular that sound like they should be staccato - in the RH m. 2/6 beat 1, m. 4 beat 2, the B naturals in m. 7
I don't agree with m.2/6, but I added the rest & a couple additional ones.

Also, I went & looked to see if there was an official name for this one and multiple sources say that the title of this song is Main BGM 1, so I'm sticking with that.

Quote from: Static on July 11, 2020, 12:53:56 PMThe Color of the Summer Sky
Looks good, I would just edit m21-22 and 25-26 to match with 23-24 and 27-28. That's all I got for this one, looks great.
Done.

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 11, 2020, 01:55:46 PMBattle 2
Just one thing here - can you flip the 2nd layer tie in m26? It's colliding with the accent.
I finally figured it out. Fixed.

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 11, 2020, 01:55:46 PMFunky's Fugue
Probably just a C+P error, but the bassline is different b3 of m28 and the like. I hear a D for all 3 notes, just for that beat. This is true for all similar measures.
I double-checked & it's actually E. Fixed.

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 11, 2020, 01:55:46 PMA few of the woos are a bit too close to the accents for comfort. Not sure if that's easily fixable, but I do see it as an issue.
idk if Finale will let me move lyrics up or down.

Maelstrom

oops yeah I meant an E

Both are accepted

Latios212

Main BGM 1 / Race Theme 01
Sure, title and fixes look good. Just a few quick things - move everything within the top/bottom margins, add www. to the URL, and rename the file with the updated track title and I'm done with this one :)

edit: I went ahead and did it, so approving!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Static

Mach Rider - Main BGM 1
- This sounds more like F minor than C minor to me.
- Grace note in m8 should have a slur.
- Copyright year should be 1985 since that was the original release date.
- HAL Laboratory did not work on this game.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on August 20, 2020, 11:47:43 AM- This sounds more like F minor than C minor to me.
I understand where you're coming from, but I'm just not feeling F minor. The song is somewhat tonally ambiguous, which doesn't help matters.

Quote from: Static on August 20, 2020, 11:47:43 AM- Grace note in m8 should have a slur.
Done

Quote from: Static on August 20, 2020, 11:47:43 AMMach Rider - Main BGM 1
- Copyright year should be 1985 since that was the original release date.
I thought we generally used the US release date? Changed regardless.

Quote from: Static on August 20, 2020, 11:47:43 AMMach Rider - Main BGM 1
- HAL Laboratory did not work on this game.
Well, it appears that the Wikipedia from a couple years ago lied to me. How rude.

Static

Quote from: Yug_Guy on August 21, 2020, 05:37:00 PMI understand where you're coming from, but I'm just not feeling F minor. The song is somewhat tonally ambiguous, which doesn't help matters.
Fair enough, I'm fine leaving it then.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on August 21, 2020, 05:37:00 PMI thought we generally used the US release date? Changed regardless.
We usually go by first release date, whatever country that happens to be.

And with that, I'll accept.

Latios212

Secret of Mana - The Color of the Summer Sky
- In measures 8, 16, and 24 I would recommend restriking the C as part of the second layer instead of tying it over in the first layer. The contour of the lower layer is changed currently (dips down instead of up).
- Related, the all the parentheses on the F notes in m. 27-28 are confusing because it's unclear whether they should be played or not. I'd recommend being explicit and removing the parentheses on those notes (except for m. 27 beat 1) to indicate they should be re-struck.
- Raise the eighth rests in m. 21/15 a little bit.
- I would recommend spacing out the staves a bit more in m. 22/26 instead of shortening the stems. I think a better goal to aim for is consistent spacing between the symbols on the staff rather than spacing between that staves. Look at how a spacing of 1.2 makes the m. 26 system look squished but the m. 29 system look a little too open.
- The p at the beginning of m. 29 should be centered between the staves.
- There's a random E under the left hand G at the end of m. 32/36, that I think would be worth including.

Quote from: Static on June 23, 2020, 01:14:56 PMColor of the Summer Sky
In m29, 31, 33, and 35 beat 2.5 RH, the dyad should be F-A, not A-C.[/li][/list]
This caught me off guard, I definitely hear the C as originally written in. But it sounds like all three notes are actually present...

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on August 23, 2020, 05:14:19 PMThis caught me off guard, I definitely hear the C as originally written in. But it sounds like all three notes are actually present...
There is a C there, but it's played by the piano, not the flutes. I don't think it makes sense to put it in the melody part even if the ranges are the same because it's inconsistent; why should only that one note be there? It gets in the way of the actual melody because on a piano, that register has one sound only - the piano sound.

Edit: It's easier to hear in this video; same orchestration but different samples (real instruments vs digital).

Latios212

Oh gotcha! Yeah that makes sense; I'm not too familiar with this song so I was a little confused picking apart the different lines. Makes sense as is then.

(great video/channel btw)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on August 23, 2020, 05:14:19 PMSecret of Mana - The Color of the Summer Sky
- In measures 8, 16, and 24 I would recommend restriking the C as part of the second layer instead of tying it over in the first layer. The contour of the lower layer is changed currently (dips down instead of up).
- Related, the all the parentheses on the F notes in m. 27-28 are confusing because it's unclear whether they should be played or not. I'd recommend being explicit and removing the parentheses on those notes (except for m. 27 beat 1) to indicate they should be re-struck.
- Raise the eighth rests in m. 21/15 a little bit.
- I would recommend spacing out the staves a bit more in m. 22/26 instead of shortening the stems. I think a better goal to aim for is consistent spacing between the symbols on the staff rather than spacing between that staves. Look at how a spacing of 1.2 makes the m. 26 system look squished but the m. 29 system look a little too open.
- The p at the beginning of m. 29 should be centered between the staves.
- There's a random E under the left hand G at the end of m. 32/36, that I think would be worth including.
This caught me off guard, I definitely hear the C as originally written in. But it sounds like all three notes are actually present...
Fixed.

Latios212

Secret of Mana - The Color of the Summer Sky

Great! Just a last couple tiny things I noticed, that I'm adjusting in your newest file:

Quote from: Latios212 on August 23, 2020, 05:14:19 PM- Related, the all the parentheses on the F notes in m. 27-28 are confusing because it's unclear whether they should be played or not. I'd recommend being explicit and removing the parentheses on those notes (except for m. 27 beat 1) to indicate they should be re-struck.
Forgot to mention m. 21/25 beat 3 have the same problem, removed the parentheses there

Quote from: Latios212 on August 23, 2020, 05:14:19 PM- Raise the eighth rests in m. 21/15 a little bit.
Bumped them up a tiny bit more to be on the same horizontal level as the layer 1 notes

Quote from: Latios212 on August 23, 2020, 05:14:19 PM- I would recommend spacing out the staves a bit more in m. 22/26 instead of shortening the stems. I think a better goal to aim for is consistent spacing between the symbols on the staff rather than spacing between that staves. Look at how a spacing of 1.2 makes the m. 26 system look squished but the m. 29 system look a little too open.
I also decreased the space between staves in the last two systems, and used the extra space to give the header a little more breathing room.

With that, accepting ^^

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Goldeneye 007 - Opening Theme
- m2 beat 4 RH should look like beats 1 and 4 of m1; it's a triplet.
- The melody starting at m31 sounds like it should have grace notes on pretty much every note.
- The grace note on beat 2.5 of m37 RH should be 2 grace notes, Bn and An. Also applies to m45 RH.
- All those grace notes should have a slur connecting them to the main note (just the first note is good, ignore any ties).
- Copyright info, page numbers, and page titles are outside the margins.

Goldeneye 007 - Watch (Pause Menu)
- If you want, you can try to include that kick drum rhythm in the LH, but whole notes are fine too.
- Copyright info is outside the margins.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on September 06, 2020, 11:23:26 AM- The melody starting at m31 sounds like it should have grace notes on pretty much every note.
Technically, yes. But, I feel like having a grace note for every note would get annoying really fast.

Quote from: Static on September 06, 2020, 11:23:26 AM- If you want, you can try to include that kick drum rhythm in the LH, but whole notes are fine too.
I'll leave it now. The arrangement lends itself for additional ornamentation should the performer decide to.

Everything else should be fixed.

Static

Quote from: Yug_Guy on September 10, 2020, 04:29:21 PMTechnically, yes. But, I feel like having a grace note for every note would get annoying really fast.
Fair enough lol

Quote from: Yug_Guy on September 10, 2020, 04:29:21 PMI'll leave it now. The arrangement lends itself for additional ornamentation should the performer decide to.
Sounds good.

Both have been approved