News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Nine Lives' Replacements

Started by NineLives, May 31, 2020, 10:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NineLives

Challenge Arrangements
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong Country - "Treetop Rock" | Source

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
Revisited Arrangements
Diddy Kong Racing
  • "Darkmoon Caverns" | Arranged by Dimentio | Source
  • "Haunted Woods" | Arranged by JDMEK5 | Source
  • "Spaceport Alpha" | Arranged by Dimentio | Source
Super Mario Kart - "Koopa Beach" | Arranged by G-Han | Source

Revised Arrangements
Diddy Kong Racing - "Dino Domain" | Arranged by Sam Waetford | Source

Approved Arrangements
Accepted Arrangements

Latios212

Diddy Kong Racing - Ancient Lake
What exactly is different here? I see it was pasted onto a new template and now extends onto a third page... which aren't necessary. If it's just the URL and bolded page title/etc. I can just adjust that but I don't see this needing a replacement as is.

Super Mario Kart - Koopa Beach
- I think the pickup would be better with quarter + half rest rather than vice versa
- Give your layer work another look over from 11-17. There are some flipped notes and some notes placed in the wrong voice. Let me know if I should specify which ones, but I think you can figure out what needs to be adjusted
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2020, 09:48:15 AMDiddy Kong Racing - Ancient Lake
What exactly is different here? I see it was pasted onto a new template and now extends onto a third page... which aren't necessary. If it's just the URL and bolded page title/etc. I can just adjust that but I don't see this needing a replacement as is.
The two things you said. Basically, I just copied the notes and junk and pasted them in the 2019 template, like I did with the other two I formatted/edited, and that's how the 3rd page happened. I've now edited the margins so that the last system fits. They're pretty small edits, so it's hardly a replacement, but that's why I don't credit myself for those three in the arranger spot and so on.

Latios212

If it's just the URL/text that needs to be edited, don't paste it into a new template - it's unnecessary and can mess up the original arranger's formatting. Just let me know if one of those should be updated.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2020, 05:25:17 PMIf it's just the URL/text that needs to be edited, don't paste it into a new template - it's unnecessary and can mess up the original arranger's formatting. Just let me know if one of those should be updated.
Okay. I will!
All right. To make things a bit clearer on arrangements, I've split the list into the three main sections based on the replacement guide made by Olimar. Also, after reading up on it, I've put each one I had currently to the section that's most appropriate.

NineLives

All right, so far I submitted all replacements/revisions for Diddy Kong Racing(N64) & Donkey Kong Country 3(SNES). I'm not sure if I'll get any more in before the 13th, but we'll see.

NineLives

I've now submitted all the sheets I have for the update. Many simian songs have been updated and rearranged.

Static

Rockface Rumble
  • m1-17 only ever need one hand to play... You have a lot of room and opportunity to create a cool percussion part! If you want some ideas or help, let me know. Or if you would rather not, that's OK. I just think it sounds a bit empty without any percussion.
  • There should be a Bb and C below the F and G in m1-3.
  • m1-18 should technically be in C major.
  • m24-25 LH: The D should be tied to an 8th note in m25 and then the E in m25 should start on beat 1.5.
  • m29: Delete the rests and then deselect the measure so there's just one whole rest. Unlike a whole note, a whole rest means a whole measure rest, not a 4-beat rest.

By the way, it doesn't look like your Flight of the Zinger sheet is in the folder.

NineLives

Quote from: Static on June 14, 2020, 02:05:38 PMRockface Rumble
  • m1-17 only ever need one hand to play... You have a lot of room and opportunity to create a cool percussion part! If you want some ideas or help, let me know. Or if you would rather not, that's OK. I just think it sounds a bit empty without any percussion.
I don't think I've fiddled with percussion in these certain pieces before and in PrintMusic in general. I could notate it, I'd just need to know how to enter it. In addition, would I put it all on the left hand for those measures if I did that? Aside from that, I got the other changes done.
Quote from: Static on June 14, 2020, 02:05:38 PMBy the way, it doesn't look like your Flight of the Zinger sheet is in the folder.
Sorry about that! It's in there now!

Static

Quote from: NineLives on June 14, 2020, 03:00:39 PMI don't think I've fiddled with percussion in these certain pieces before and in PrintMusic in general. I could notate it, I'd just need to know how to enter it. In addition, would I put it all on the left hand for those measures if I did that? Aside from that, I got the other changes done.
Enter notes normally, using the top layer for the player's free hand (could be just tapping the hand itself, or tapping a pencil or something) and bottom layer for the players leg(s) (for stomping, etc.) Those sounds can mimic basic snare and bass drum sounds. The final step is to change the instrument to a drum set for just those measures and in only that staff; if you need help doing that I can get that for you.

You can put the piano notes in either the RH or LH, just change clefs when necessary. However, for this piece, most of the notes are lower, so I would probably have the LH play the notes while the RH does the other stuff.

Also, like I said earlier, if you would rather it be just a piano-only arrangement with no percussion that's fine too. This is just a suggestion.

Quote from: NineLives on June 14, 2020, 03:00:39 PMSorry about that! It's in there now!
Awesome, thanks!

Static

NineLives and I discussed some percussion ideas for the sheet, and we got a new file up now. All the other changes I mentioned look good, so I'll be approving.

Latios212

Frosty Village
Really good work! Solid arrangement, mostly small things I found. Very happy to see this one done :)

LH
- m. 15/25/43/69 bass notes should start with E and G, not F# and A#
- m. 46/49 should be four D's, then two C#s, then a B
- In the m. 47-61 section: m. 47 and the following measures like it should have beat 2.5 raised to the third above the root. So C# in m. 47-48, F# in m. 49, etc.

RH
- Use A# in m. 10 since it's chromatically ascending there. Similarly for m. 12, 22, 36, 38, 64, 66
- I think you should raise m. 18-27 beat 1 up an octave. It would provide contrast with the preceding section and the jump between beats 1-2 of m. 27 wouldn't be huge.
- m. 32/76 beat 2 sounds like a single G to me. I would also suggest separating out the melody in beat 4 (I can make the edit for you if you need)
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
- m. 47 - the notes in the middle sound like they go A-C#-A instead of C#-A-C#
- m. 51 beat 4 - would suggest getting rid of the G and separating out the F# visually
- Harmonies in m. 55-60:
Spoiler
[close]
- m. 65 uses parallel fourths instead of thirds (E instead of F# under the A... not sure if writing in a F# under the B is correct though)
- m. 71 beat 2 should be triplet rest-B-D rather than just the rest-D

Misc.
- Left margin's too small (I can fix it)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

All right. I think I got all of your changes in. I moved the left margin a few pegs on each page, so I hope it looks all right in that regard.

Latios212

Frosty Village
Nice! Just a last few things:
- Text boxes outside page margins
- m. 53/55/56 should also have LH beat 2.5 raised
- m. 71 the B I mentioned should be an octave lower than you currently have it

Made the above changes for you and approved :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Flight of the Zinger
  • That repeating LH pattern should actually look like this:

However, it's... pretty difficult to play at tempo, to say the least. Either you could focus on this part, using both hands to play it and ditch the RH part, at least until m37, or you could use a simplified version, which I think highlights the important notes and sounds close enough to the original. Take a look:
  • Starting at m21, I would put the parentheses around the Es in the LH, since those are the harder ones to play - just let the RH take care of it.
  • At the m39 section, I would try to find some way to include the bass notes, since those are integral to the original harmonies. Some ideas might be to just include the original bassline instead of the ostinato, or to change the notes in the ostinato to reflect the harmony, with the first note the bass note.
  • Your beaming is sometimes inconsistent: you have 3 8th notes beamed together in m39, but m4 uses a quarter tied to an 8th on beat 3. You should break the beam in m39, 43, etc., or change quarter-tie-8ths into dotted quarters in m40, 44, etc.
  • 8th notes tied to 16ths on downbeats should be written as dotted 8th notes.