Nine Lives' Replacements

Started by NineLives, May 31, 2020, 10:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libera

Quote from: NineLives on August 20, 2020, 11:52:21 AMI don't see/understand what you're talking about here. On the file, both sections mentioned are beamed consistently and I don't see any broken beams around the sheet in general. Do you mean since it's two eighths to a quarter in the left hand, then it should be split because of that?

It was definitely different when I loaded up the file earlier but it looks fine now, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

Two final things:

-Could you spread the tempo marking and the swing marking out a little more?  They're really close together.
-The Gns in bars 59-60 should be G#s right?

NineLives

Quote from: Libera on August 20, 2020, 01:15:08 PM-Could you spread the tempo marking and the swing marking out a little more?  They're really close together.
-The Gns in bars 59-60 should be G#s right?
Done and they already were sharped... Perhaps my version of Finale is fowling up the appearance?

Libera

Fixed over discord.  Frosty Village is now accepted!

Latios212

Diddy Kong Racing - Ancient Lake
Was anything about this sheet changed other than the formatting? The same for Fossil Canyon.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on August 23, 2020, 04:42:48 PMDiddy Kong Racing - Ancient Lake
Was anything about this sheet changed other than the formatting? The same for Fossil Canyon.
No, not really. Just simple format stuff. "Dino Domain" had a bit more than those two to clean up, but that's about it for the revised stuff, so like most revisions, I won't be takin' any credit on-site and all that. By the time you mentioned that sort of thing, I had already done them.

Latios212

Gotcha, okay. Yeah, for these two since the original sheet is good and was done by a conscientious arranger, we should try to avoid pasting all the music into a new template when there are only minor things like the URL/footer/margins to fix - to leave the original arranger's font, music spacing, etc. intact where possible. I noticed in your updated files some of the spacing was more cramped in places, for example, whereas in the existing sheet it was event. I've just reuploaded these two sheets to the site with minor adjustments (URL and un-bolded header for Ancient Lake, URL and margins for Fossil Canyon), since they really shouldn't be in this replacement project if that's all that needs to be changed.

Let me know if you have any concerns!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Title Theme (Diddy Kong Racing)
- I would change dynamics at m9 to give that section an extra burst of energy; maybe start at mp and then go to mf in m9.
- Starting at m11, I think the melody could use more articulations, mainly staccatos.
- The first note in m49 RH should have a mordent
- The last chord should have an accent on it (both hands), and maybe a crescendo in the previous measure leading up to it.

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on August 25, 2020, 08:39:36 PMLet me know if you have any concerns!
None that I can think of. I've now removed those sheets from the "Revised Arrangements" list.
Quote from: Static on August 26, 2020, 07:00:55 AMTitle Theme (Diddy Kong Racing)
- Starting at m11, I think the melody could use more articulations, mainly staccatos.
I got the rest of your changes done I believe, but I'll have you judge the staccatos I added in.

Static

Quote from: NineLives on August 26, 2020, 10:00:58 AMI got the rest of your changes done I believe, but I'll have you judge the staccatos I added in.
Looks great, I'd just put some in m14; that one stuck out to me the most.

NineLives

Quote from: Static on August 26, 2020, 10:44:25 AMI'd just put some in m14; that one stuck out to me the most.
Got it.

Static

Maelstrom

Snakey Chantey
Before I get much further with this, I need to say that I don't think the bassline for the main part of the song is sufficient. It's just not the same without the piano chords in there. Is it possible for you to combine the chords with the LH so it doesn't sound so barren?

Brothers Bear
RH m2 - I hear the 6ths here as 4ths, just like it's written in m1.
I don't think the An needs a courtesy accidental, also in RH m2. Again in m6 and a few other places. I don't think courtesy accidentals are required when they are in a different octave than the note that initially had the accidental. Up to you on this one, though.
Otherwise looks pretty fantastic. 

Treetop Tumble
Briefly passing through this one, and I'm not a fan of how not all echoes are treated equally. In the RH, they're given the same emphasis and volume as the main notes despite being half as loud. Meanwhile, in the LH m9-16 some echo notes are almost as loud as the main notes but aren't included at all.

NineLives

Mkay, so I tried on putting the chords with the bass for "Snakey Chantey," though I feel it looks a little messy, yet it's the only thing I could come up with and I may be getting some chords wrong, so I'll need your input on that, Maelstrom. The other two should be updated in the suggested sections.

Maelstrom

Brothers Bear
Looks like something broke the tremeloes. Since that's all it needs, I went ahead and made the changes and threw it in approved. I also broke the 8th beam in m11 because that could be confused for a triplet pretty easily at first glance.

Bonus Medley
As far as I can tell, the first song's title is Swanky Swing, not bonus intro. And for some reason it makes me think of a sonic song. Not sure why.
-RH m9-16 - Should be an octave higher
-RH m20 b3 - Should add a An to the chords here
-LH m3 - 8th notes here are on beat 4, not 3. Also in m7
-LH m4/8 b1 - 2 8ths here, not a quarter.
-RH m17-19 - include the pad chord here in some way, be it a restrike every measure with a new inversion or something held throughout all 3 measures.

No bonus lose theme? It really should be included here....
-m42 RH - b1 and b1.5 should be swapped, and b2 is an F. The lowest note in the b4.5 chord is an An
-m42 LH - b1-2 should be a A#, b3-4 a B, and b4.5-m43 an F.

was going to give more feedback but got side tracked

more coming eventually

NineLives

Quote from: Maelstrom on November 29, 2020, 07:04:17 PMBonus Medley
As far as I can tell, the first song's title is Swanky Swing, not bonus intro.
-RH m9-16 - Should be an octave higher
Sorry I didn't notice the old sources were removed.
Actually, though they are the same song, "Bonus Intro" is arranged slightly different from "Swanky's Swing" to where that section is more suited in its current octave, at least it sounds that way on my end. If you still want it moved up one, I can do that. Other changes to the first page still apply though, so those are in along with the "Bonus Win" stuff. Also, a pickup to the victory theme is in the 41st measure. Is there a certain way I should add the losing fanfare or separate the two?