TWG CXVII: The Lantern Keeper Redux

Started by TheZeldaPianist275, October 19, 2023, 05:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheZeldaPianist275

TWG CXVII: The Lantern Keeper Redux

On a dark and stormy October night, 10 friends found themselves in a small, lantern-lit village. The village was strangely dark; entering it seemed to drown out all the light from the moon, rendering it difficult to see anything clearly. The only things making anything visible at all? Three old, rusty lanterns hanging from poles lining the street.

Wolves
1. Master Wolf
2. Wolf
3. Wolf

Humans
4. Seer
5. Human
6. Human
7. Human
8. Human
9. Human

??
10. The Strange Man
A man who DOES NOT WANT to be seen. Every night phase he will privately guess the identities of the lanterns holders, and upon correctly guessing their identities, the lanterns are lost to the night, and their holders are killed, along with one normal wolf. He cannot be wolfed; if an attempt to do so is made, the public will not be informed.

Items
3 Lanterns of the Night: at the start of the game, 3 randomly chosen players will become Lantern Holders and receive a Lantern of the Night. Each night, the 3 lanterns holders will privately vote to seer one of the holders. That holder's color is then privately disclosed to the other two holders. A lantern may be passed to another player who does not hold a lantern once per NIGHT PHASE ONLY. The recipient of the lantern will be randomly selected from the pool of those who do not hold lanterns, and he will be informed both that he received a lantern and of the identities of the other holders at the start of the following night phase.

Misc.
-The Strange Man will never hold a lantern.
-If someone is killed while in possession of a lantern, it will be publicly announced that a lantern has been put out, and the Strange Man will only have to guess the holders of the remaining lanterns. However, if all three lantern holders are killed before the Strange Man guesses their identities, the Strange Man will die as well.
-The Strange Man's lantern guess applies to the players who held lanterns at the start of the night phase, not the players who received the lanterns at the end of it.
-No cardflips, instas are on. Classic rules, natch.

Victory Conditions
Wolves win when their numbers are at parity with humans & The Strange Man combined.
Humans win when the wolves are dead.
The Strange Man wins upon successfully guessing the lantern holders, but the game does not necessarily have to end at that point. Either of the other two teams may win with the Strange Man.

-----------------

The Players
1. SpecsFlyer17
2. A# Minor
3. davy
4. threalmathguy
5. BlackDragonSlayer
6. XiaoMigros
7. ThatHiddenCharacter
8. Robbie89 Toby
9. Oricorio
10. The Musical Poet

Remember...the Strange Man does not want to be seen. Proceed with caution.

Role PMs:

Master Wolf
You are the Master Wolf, fearsome leader of the wolves. Your partners are ___ and ___. The night is yours...unless something else is out there.
[close]

Wolf
You are a Wolf. Your partners are ___ and ___. The night is yours...unless something else is out there.
[close]

Seer
You are the Seer, the humans' best hope for survival. Send me a PM once a night with the name of a player and I'll tell you their color.
[close]

Human
You are a Human. It's dark out here. Stay safe.
[close]

The Strange Man
You are The Strange Man. Happy hunting.
[close]

if you receive a Lantern of the Night
What's this? You found a Lantern of the Night! The other Lantern Holders are ___ and ___. Send me a PM this night phase to cast your vote for which Holder you would like to Seer.
[close]

It is now Night 1. Night 1 ends in 48 hours, on Saturday, October 21 at 20:00 Central Daylight Time.

TheZeldaPianist275

A few reminders as the game gets going:
-There is no editing of posts under any circumstances. Offenders will receive phantoms and a stern talking-to by Nakah.
-Instas can occur. You can vote for yourself. No cardflips.
-Basing reasoning on forum statistics is banned.
-Please include me on all PMs with other players, as it will help tremendously in writing player analysis.
-That said, I expect to get quite a lot of PMs this game, so if you have a question about the game for me, please put "TWG QUESTION" in the subject line so I catch it quickly.
-One last lantern clarification–if you want to pass a lantern along, you must do it DURING THE NIGHT PHASE. If you wait until the Day phase, you are stuck with it through the following Night.

THE GAME IS NOW AFOOT. PMs have been sent. Post at will.

Oricorio

Greetings people! How do ISOs work on this forum again?

I'd like to get as much as possible done on D1. It's bad enough having to read living players without also having to read dead players!

Oricorio

Quote from: Oricorio on October 19, 2023, 06:03:32 PMGreetings people! How do ISOs work on this forum again?

I'd like to get as much as possible done on D1. It's bad enough having to read living players without also having to read dead players!

Or I guess N0 is the first phase here? I'm still not entirely used to how things work around here

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

XiaoMigros

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Oricorio on October 19, 2023, 06:03:32 PMGreetings people! How do ISOs work on this forum again?
By ISOs, do you mean being able to isolate posts in a thread by user? Pretty sure we don't have that feature here :P

Quote from: Oricorio on October 19, 2023, 06:06:12 PMOr I guess N0 is the first phase here? I'm still not entirely used to how things work around here
Most games here are night starts, so N1 -> D1 -> N2 -> D2 -> N3, etc.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Oricorio on October 19, 2023, 06:06:12 PMOr I guess N0 is the first phase here? I'm still not entirely used to how things work around here
it varies from game to game, but as stated in the opening post we're starting off with a night phase

Oricorio

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on October 19, 2023, 06:09:12 PMHere's to hopefully not dying N1 :P

Why do you need to say this? Subtle way to hint that you're town. GTH wolf

XiaoMigros

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Oricorio on October 19, 2023, 06:12:30 PMWhy do you need to say this? Subtle way to hint that you're town. GTH wolf
happens a lot to experienced players such as them

Oricorio

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 19, 2023, 06:09:40 PMpost to get notifications

Not a substantive opening post, but one that doesn't hint at having an agenda. GTH town

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Oricorio on October 19, 2023, 06:12:30 PMWhy do you need to say this? Subtle way to hint that you're town. GTH wolf
1. Me dying N1 is a thing, as I'm one of the veteran players.
2. In the last game that featured the Lantern Keeper (TWG LI), I died Night 1 as a wolf.

So I'm (mostly) just joking around. I like your observation, though.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Oricorio on October 19, 2023, 06:15:08 PMGTH
I'm not familiar with the abbreviation, though I imagine it's a way of expressing your lean on a player?

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber