News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Moose9045- Mushroom Hill Zone, First arrangement.

Started by moose9045, October 22, 2011, 04:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonValentino

Quote from: fingerz on October 30, 2011, 02:35:08 PMSorry, moose! I didn't have any time to download it this weekend, but I will next weekend. XD

I do have some advise for you before I get my hands dirty on that arrangement of yours:
Do you use Audacity? If not, GET IT! It's one of the best music editing software, as it can do everything from boost the bass to slow everything down. You can start and stop the track with a press of the spacebar, so it's very convenient, and you can start it from any part of the song. This is what I use and it's so much better than just listening to it on YouTube. Just download the song as an mp3 and import it into Audacity. :)
By the way, building up an accurate musical ear takes time. If you want to improve your arrangement, just work on a couple of bars every day, listening to them over and over until you can remember how it goes in your head. Then, transpose that from your head to the computer and check the accuracy of the notes with the actual song. I always start with the bass, that way if it clashes with the right-hand I know it's wrong. Good luck moose and don't give up! :D

Audacity or Transcribe!, which is easier to use. Unfortunately, it's a 30-day trial, but you can download it over and over (I think  :P). I would recommend you to try both, and choose the one you prefer.  :)

Also, as an additional program, you could try Notecard. Helps you to improve your listening skills by audition exercises. Not bad, but I got tired after 1 week of using it... Anyways, it helped me.  :D

fingerz

Well, now I know why WarioMan gave up on this. Moose, you've picked a whopper for your first song! XD
Now, I'm not very good at being blunt, so please don't take any of this the wrong way. I'm here to help you, and it's gonna take a good amount of effort to get this arrangement up to scratch. Let's not worry about the formatting or any of that crap for the time being. We'll purely focus on the music. :)

What needs to be done:

1. This is the biggest problem for your arrangement; it has no pulse. After measure 1, the beat is completely lost and has stuffed up your interpretation of the treble and bass. There is a perfectly good reason for this: the first section of the song before the melody comes in is incredibly hard to fit into a time signature. What I suggest you do is start again with this arrangement, but start from where the melody comes in at around 11 seconds into the song, just after the run down of all those notes. Start there and work your way to the end. What I'll do is I'll figure out the first part of the song and write it out for you.
2. The bass is incorrect in most parts. This is where a program like Audacity comes in handy. If you have it, use it so boost the bass os you can hear it better and work with the notes from there.

3. Your melody is out of time, but this is mostly due to that horrible start. When you do it again, I expect this will fix itself. Just make sure you know where beat one is every time you start a new measure.

4. Your arrangement is a little too slow. Don't worry about that yet, though. We can fix that later.

5. You have formatting issues. That will be fixed eventually, once the arrangement is complete.

I want this to be your arrangement as much as possible, so I'm going to let you have a crack at this and see how it goes. If you need any help, just let me know and I'll do what I can. Hope this helps, Moose! :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

GoronsOrchestrated

Quote from: Shadoninja on October 23, 2011, 09:18:17 AM1)I'd highly recommend mediafire or dropbox(especially dropbox). if you go with dropbox, put the file in the public folder it generates and then you can copy the public link from the folder or the website.
wow... helped me too! :D
Quote from: DrP on December 18, 2011, 02:25:37 PM
I didn't know he or those arrangements existed.

... ಠ_ಠ