Concerning NSM and game music...

Started by dahans, May 09, 2009, 02:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dahans

Someone (I don't want to say any names) said that I and everyone, who likes video game music or NSM, just listen to video game music because they want to be different. I am really furious about that. And I am really interested in your opinion, because this would mean that I am a psycho and I don't want to be one. Maybe I tend to like being different but this person said that this leads to the fact that I will lose all my friends and so on. So I am asking you and the members of NSM: Are you all psychos just because you like game music? In my opinion not, but I want to know what you think.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Brassman388

No, don't worry about what other people say. It doesn't matter what other people say or think, all that matters is what you like. No other opinions should make you decide what you do or who you are. So don't worry about being a psycho, if we're to be psychos, then let us be psychos. Either way, I'm happy with who I am, you should be too.

GreekGeek

It doesn't matter to me which music it is, Pokémon or screamo, as long as it sounds right. And a lot of Nintendo music sounds cool, so I listen to it. But friends indeed are biased about it. I always let them hear Pokémon music and don't tell them it's Pokémon. And after they said: "it's really cool", I say: "it's Pokémon". "Oh, I didn't know that?!".

We're not psychos, we're cool :P

blah54

Quote from: dahans on May 09, 2009, 02:43:35 PMSomeone (I don't want to say any names) said that I and everyone, who likes video game music or NSM, just listen to video game music because they want to be different. I am really furious about that. And I am really interested in your opinion, because this would mean that I am a psycho and I don't want to be one. Maybe I tend to like being different but this person said that this leads to the fact that I will lose all my friends and so on. So I am asking you and the members of NSM: Are you all psychos just because you like game music? In my opinion not, but I want to know what you think.

don't take it so personally... just because one person that listening to video game music makes you a "psycho", doesn't make you one and being alienated for liking a type of music is pretty shallow if you ask me...

however, saying that you listen to video game music does sound odd to the general populace, just because most people just don't care much for the music in video games, they care about the games... and it doesn't help that there's an unspoken code that playing video games is seen as something negative, for lack of better words to describe it which doesn't help the cause of saying that you like video game music...

forgive me if i'm wrong, but it seems like you have an issue with your personal music selection and your social standing... so either embrace the music of the norm or accept the fact that you're a minority and don't go around advertising you love for video game music (since that seems to be the root of this problem) and that should stop people from calling you psycho or w/e...
It's on a need-to-know basis that you don't need to know.

SirIngusBingus

I'd have to say yes, we're all psychos. But I like being a psycho.  8)

Besides, look how many psychos there are on this site. You're not alone.

Dude

Quote from: SirIngusBingus on May 09, 2009, 05:26:25 PMI'd have to say yes, we're all psychos. But I like being a psycho.  8)

Besides, look how many psychos there are on this site. You're not alone.

Jamaha

My "friend" used to be an ass about it.

Not really informing my other friends about it.

dahans

Quote from: blah54 on May 09, 2009, 03:59:45 PM
Quote from: dahans on May 09, 2009, 02:43:35 PMSomeone (I don't want to say any names) said that I and everyone, who likes video game music or NSM, just listen to video game music because they want to be different. I am really furious about that. And I am really interested in your opinion, because this would mean that I am a psycho and I don't want to be one. Maybe I tend to like being different but this person said that this leads to the fact that I will lose all my friends and so on. So I am asking you and the members of NSM: Are you all psychos just because you like game music? In my opinion not, but I want to know what you think.

don't take it so personally... just because one person that listening to video game music makes you a "psycho", doesn't make you one and being alienated for liking a type of music is pretty shallow if you ask me...

however, saying that you listen to video game music does sound odd to the general populace, just because most people just don't care much for the music in video games, they care about the games... and it doesn't help that there's an unspoken code that playing video games is seen as something negative, for lack of better words to describe it which doesn't help the cause of saying that you like video game music...

forgive me if i'm wrong, but it seems like you have an issue with your personal music selection and your social standing... so either embrace the music of the norm or accept the fact that you're a minority and don't go around advertising you love for video game music (since that seems to be the root of this problem) and that should stop people from calling you psycho or w/e...

You are right this is all true what you all said. And I think blah54 that I don't advertise my love for video game music. I just said that one person said that and I don't want to name him. And I just put up this to see what you guys think because this what this person said made me think if I am "ready" for the psychiatrist. And I thank you all for commenting it and in my opinion there is no need to be sorry, because if you critisise me it's OK. Otherwise I couldn't change or? I would stay the same idiot and get on the nerves to other people. So keep on critising me I have no problem with that. Thank you.

KefkaticFanatic

I listen to game music all the time.  Music is music.  Also, never share your music.

me irl
[close]

dahans

Yeah, unfortunately that's true...

GreekGeek

Quote from: Gamer4250 on May 10, 2009, 08:28:12 AMI listen to game music all the time.  Music is music.  Also, never share your music.

For once in my life, I agree with you Gamer  :)

Cobraroll

I don't just listen to game music. I exclusively listen to game music, and am completely open about it if anyone asks. OK, I may be looked upon as a bit weird, but I like game music. There are two main reasons behind this:
1) Memories. Sad as it may sound, I have spent a lot of time gaming throughout the years. And the music brings back memories of those moments, when I had finally beaten that boss, solved that puzzle, found the way to a new area...
2) They bring emotions (nostalgia, if nothing else), that a lot of other music don't care to express. Also, I like the fact that most video game music is completely free of the love cliche. Instead, they often express freedom, joy, hope(/lessness), going-boldly-into-the-unknown, glory, or adrenaline rush. Or they're just plain soothing. And there's comfortably far between the love songs.

OK, I don't listen a tenth as much to music as most other people, so it's not like I spend entire days sitting listening to Super Mario soundtrack. Funnily enough, I never just listen to music, I listen to it in the background while doing other things. It's something with the genre, I think...
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

dahans

Quote from: Cobraroll on May 10, 2009, 01:04:08 PMI don't just listen to game music. I exclusively listen to game music, and am completely open about it if anyone asks. OK, I may be looked upon as a bit weird, but I like game music. There are two main reasons behind this:
1) Memories. Sad as it may sound, I have spent a lot of time gaming throughout the years. And the music brings back memories of those moments, when I had finally beaten that boss, solved that puzzle, found the way to a new area...
2) They bring emotions (nostalgia, if nothing else), that a lot of other music don't care to express. Also, I like the fact that most video game music is completely free of the love cliche. Instead, they often express freedom, joy, hope(/lessness), going-boldly-into-the-unknown, glory, or adrenaline rush. Or they're just plain soothing. And there's comfortably far between the love songs.

OK, I don't listen a tenth as much to music as most other people, so it's not like I spend entire days sitting listening to Super Mario soundtrack. Funnily enough, I never just listen to music, I listen to it in the background while doing other things. It's something with the genre, I think...

I think you are quite similar to me. And yeah game music brings back a lot of memorie. For example of the innocent "duty free" childhood. And in my opinion it is a shame that game music isn't accepted in the world. Koji Kondo never gets an award, but Britney Spears with a primitive single. I think that's unfair, and it won't change unfortunately...

SuperFireKirby

I enjoy game music because it's catchy, fun, and actually well written unlike all the crap being spewed out of the radio these days.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SirIngusBingus

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on May 10, 2009, 03:17:40 PMI enjoy game music because it's catchy, fun, and actually well written unlike all the crap being spewed out of the radio these days.
Ditto.