What are you playing right now?

Started by ALPRAS, July 14, 2009, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Quote from: SlowPokemon on March 21, 2014, 03:57:49 AMWhat's bad about this, out of curiosity? :P
Games need a challenge to have a point.  If Ocarina of Time's dungeons were easy, nobody would enjoy it.
unmotivated

spitllama

Mario has become so simple and easy that it's not even fun anymore. Making a series with the intent of it being carefree smiles with simple progression is fine, but don't change what's already in place >.< Mario used to be frickin hard. The puzzles and "boss battles" are a yawn.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

SlowPokemon

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on March 21, 2014, 05:20:38 AMGames need a challenge to have a point.  If Ocarina of Time's dungeons were easy, nobody would enjoy it.

I hate Ocarina of Time BECAUSE it's so hard actually.

Also I finished Danganronpa... I really have no comment on that ending............. Such a great game....
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Roz~

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on March 21, 2014, 05:20:38 AMGames need a challenge to have a point.  If Ocarina of Time's dungeons were easy, nobody would enjoy it.

I agree with you on that. For example, FFX is fairly easy, but now that we finally have the International version we get to fight the Dark Aeons and Penance who all have between 1 and 12 milions HP, and I'm really looking forward to this. Not to say that easy games are boring, but it feels like they lack something.

Quote from: Kman96 on March 20, 2014, 11:49:53 PMAll comments aside, Yoshi's New Island is a worth purchase, is it not?

Really, I'm gonna buy it no matter the answer, but as long as people enjoy it, it's more worth it.

I really enjoy it so far. The music is... alright. The more I play, the less I like it haha. But the game itself is pretty fun. And the graphics are really nice too, especially if you play with the 3D on.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Kman96

Quote from: spitllama on March 21, 2014, 06:23:54 AMMario has become so simple and easy that it's not even fun anymore. Making a series with the intent of it being carefree smiles with simple progression is fine, but don't change what's already in place >.< Mario used to be frickin hard. The puzzles and "boss battles" are a yawn.
This is why (other than Yoshi's Island) I can't stand current Mario games. The formula bugs me. I understand the classic level-to-level platforming, but it just gets so BORING after a while. They all become expansions on one big game!

That's why my favorite Mario games are the ones with an open overworld, like SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Paper Mario (mind Sticker Star, it was okay)...the whole "level" thing just doesn't work for me anymore.
Party Hard!
[close]

Roz~

Have you played Mario 3D World on the WiiU? The game is absolutely fantastic. It doesn't feature an open world, but the levels are so briliantly crafted and so fun it doesn't even matter. I play with 3 friends and we can't get over how fun this game is.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Kman96

Quote from: Roz~ on March 21, 2014, 09:17:33 AMHave you played Mario 3D World on the WiiU? The game is absolutely fantastic. It doesn't feature an open world, but the levels are so briliantly crafted and so fun it doesn't even matter. I play with 3 friends and we can't get over how fun this game is.
yes, I have played it at Shadowkirby's house, and I'll agree that it is a beautiful game, and the levels are quite open, but the linear feel of it kinda ruins it for me.

Honestly, when I got my 3DS and I began Super Mario 3D land, that's what I was most disappointed about, that it was just a bunch of 3D levels, instead of worlds to explore. I WANNA COLLECT STARS AGAIN!!!

EDIT: I have nothing against the games themselves, I just personally prefer the open world concept.
Party Hard!
[close]

mikey

Quote from: Kman96 on March 21, 2014, 09:38:56 AMyes, I have played it at Shadowkirby's house, and I'll agree that it is a beautiful game, and the levels are quite open, but the linear feel of it kinda ruins it for me.

Honestly, when I got my 3DS and I began Super Mario 3D land, that's what I was most disappointed about, that it was just a bunch of 3D levels, instead of worlds to explore. I WANNA COLLECT STARS AGAIN!!!

EDIT: I have nothing against the games themselves, I just personally prefer the open world concept.
I feel like that's why SM64 and SMG may be so popular, because you can tackle the levels in any order instead of it being "go from A to B then B to C", and it's why Sunshine is my favorite Mario game :P
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Roz~ on March 21, 2014, 09:17:33 AMHave you played Mario 3D World on the WiiU? The game is absolutely fantastic. It doesn't feature an open world, but the levels are so briliantly crafted and so fun it doesn't even matter. I play with 3 friends and we can't get over how fun this game is.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

blueflower999

Difficulty isn't something that stops me from buying a game. Battletoads and the Mega Man series are among my favorite retro games, and they're hard as crap. On the contrary, Kirby's Epic Yarn is my favorite Kirby game, and it's impossible to die in it.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

MaestroUGC

1) It's not that Mario games have gotten easier now than they "used to be", it's just that most of us have been playing them all of our lives that we just got good at them.
2) I have evidence of this as I have younger relatives (ages 5-7) who have been introduced to video games, Mario specifically, by me personally and I've shown them games throughout the series' history. While the original SMB may seem like an easy romp to me, they have some trouble with it as the game goes on, just as they did with SM64 and recently 3D World.
3) Galaxy was the first game in the series where the games started to return to the linear formula. The game itself may be big, but that's only because it has several "micro levels" on a scale compared to 64 and Sunshine.
4) Difficulty is an indication of skill required; Challenge is an indication of critical thinking needed to solve a problem. An easy game doesn't mean it's not challenging, and a challenging game does not mean it's hard.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Zunawe

Quote from: MaestroUGC on March 21, 2014, 12:55:41 PM1) It's not that Mario games have gotten easier now than they "used to be", it's just that most of us have been playing them all of our lives that we just got good at them.
I beg to differ. The first Mario game I played was 64, the next was Galaxy, and it's kinda expanded from there (so I never played handheld games or early ones until much later in life). I find the earlier console and handhelds much harder than the recent ones. Super Mario 3D Land is many times easier than Super Mario Bros.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

SlowPokemon

fingerz

Quote from: MaestroUGC on March 21, 2014, 12:55:41 PM1) It's not that Mario games have gotten easier now than they "used to be", it's just that most of us have been playing them all of our lives that we just got good at them.
I agree with you here! Although games have gotten easier, I do take into account the fact that I'm getting older and much better at them too. For instance, if I went back and played Donkey Kong Country 3 on the GBA, I wouldn't die anywhere near as much as I did back when I was 10 or so... God that was a hard game. XD
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

FierceDeity

Not that easier (within limits) is necessarily bad for a Nintendo game. Nintendo started off when all other console-based game companies were either fucked or didn't exist yet; they didn't need to cater specifically to children, because they were the only ones really catering to anyone since the crash. Now that other companies have risen, Nintendo has the reputation of being the only major company to keep all of their first-party games completely kid-friendly. So, instead of making their games some high-investment test of technical ability that most younger kids won't have patience for, they've focused on story-telling and world-creating, and been very successful at creating an immersive experience in this way. I don't care that Super Mario Galaxy wasn't extremely difficult to me, as long as it provided at least some challenge along the way (and it did). It's the running around and between worlds, the amazing score, and the cheesy-yet-satisfying story that make it one of my favorite games of all time.