News:

See you space cowboy...

Main Menu

The grammar topic

Started by dahans, October 28, 2009, 11:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dahans

Do you have any questions concerning grammar and you don't know where to ask? This is the right topic for it :D and it doesn't have to be English. So if you have any questions about the Ablativus Absolutus, don't hesitate to ask. The members of NSM will be happy to answer your question ;).

My first question: You need to fill in a preposition:
I made a comment ......... my friend. What's the correct prep? thx in advance
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Seeker

What are you trying to say? Off the top of my head, 'to', 'about', and 'for' could all work.
This is a signature.

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

GreekGeek

Quote from: dahans on October 28, 2009, 11:20:11 PMSo if you have any questions about the Ablativus Absolutus, don't hesitate to ask.

Long live the Ablativus Absolutus ;D

dahans

Quote from: Seeker on October 29, 2009, 04:24:46 AMWhat are you trying to say? Off the top of my head, 'to', 'about', and 'for' could all work.

Thank you very much. :D
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Cobraroll

Bump!

Can somebody/someone briefly explain the "-one/-body"-rule? I'm tired of choosing them at random, and I suspect it will turn out wrong in most cases. In short, when to use someone/anyone/everyone, and when to use somebody/anybody/everybody.

Please?
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Seeker

I'm pretty sure they're interchangeable. -one is more common around these parts.
This is a signature.

universe-X

Commas? Like in listing...

Which of the two is correct?

I am getting milk, candy, eggs, and sugar. (comma after eggs)

I am getting milk, candy, eggs and sugar. (no comma after eggs)

Seeker

Either one is correct now, I believe.
This is a signature.

Maretocks

What is the difference between words like burned and burnt? (I thought of more but I can't remember them now. >.<)
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

Seeker

If you're in America you say burned, if you're in England, you say burnt. If you're in Australia, you cry because no one cares about you.

http://www.onestopenglish.com/section.asp?docid=146420
This is a signature.

kotorfanboy

If you remember those other ones, they can probably be answered with the differences between British and American spelling.

Here's a pretty comprehensive guide: http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/differences.htm

universe-X

Quote from: Maretocks on December 26, 2009, 04:02:25 PMWhat is the difference between words like burned and burnt? (I thought of more but I can't remember them now. >.<)

In English/American ghetto grammar, burned/burnin is present tense.

"I was burned. (?)"

"You just got burned!"

ok, maybe not, it's just one of those bad tense verbs, you know what I'm talking about?

'Cuz I don't.

Burnt is completely English, apparently. And it's also a past tense verb. So you could say:

"He was burnt very badly."

or

"I burnt/BURNED myself earlier today."

^^probably a good example of using burned.

If you read these sentences aloud, and actually think about it, the word(s) burnt, burn, and burned all sound weird now. :P

On here, I'm an ELA teacher's worst nightmare.

Cobraroll

How do you pronounce "buoy"?
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

SuperFireKirby

[Boo-ey]
Quote from: universe-X on December 26, 2009, 02:58:22 PMCommas? Like in listing...

Which of the two is correct?

I am getting milk, candy, eggs, and sugar. (comma after eggs)

I am getting milk, candy, eggs and sugar. (no comma after eggs)

The top one is the correct way to list it.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!