Video Game Music Appreciation

Started by universe-X, December 29, 2009, 06:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

universe-X

OK, we've moved on to Super Mario Bros. - Overworld!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEKDF_WbMlg

This song, I must say, is genius. Completely original and perfect song to wake you up and get you in the mood for some video gaming. The 8-bit sounds were a great start off for this song, so that just pitched it in with all the items popping up, gaining or losing strength. And like UGC said, this song is in fact Latin. I mean, in Wii Music, (for anyone that has it), people put in all these guitars, maracas, etc. And imagine this song without that "hidden" drumline. It actually would sound a little boring. But, yes this is THE Mario song right here, even if it is only 3 notes per beat. And it has shown up in (what I believe) every "main" Mario game, ever, in some way/form/shape. Take into consideration, New Super Mario Bros., which really impacted the Latin style that Kondo had in the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk_lcZmezlA

Somewhere you can hear (near the end of the song, but I think I'm thinking about the SSBB version), that little intro of SMB in there. Nintendo couldn't have started off the series in a better way. And all in all, it's good to know when you have finally beaten "that frustrating level" to move on to the next challenge that awaits.

A new level and of course, a new game.

Well, I gotta get some sleep, I'll check back in the morning. :)

Brawler4Ever

Apparently, the awesomeness of the song cannot be described in mere mortal words. Hence, the lack of discussion. Or maybe it's just school...

I like how, in almost every Mario game, the original song can be found in remixed form. In Super Mario Sunshine, it was the caverns without the F.L.U.D.D. In Super Mario Galaxy, it was the Toy Time Galaxy. In Super Mario RPG, Legend of the Seven Stars, in Booster's Tower (for a limited time).

Lovin' it.
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

universe-X

Yeah, it's been really quiet, oh well.  :) Yeah, and let's not forget Brawl ;) Absolutely genius.

dahans

The soundtrack of Brawl is so amazing, the best songs of all the games in one game... Some of them are orchestrated too.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

universe-X

Actually, I believe the only song that actually is orchestrated is the Main theme. Everything else is probably synthesizer or computer program with little real instruments. But, yeah, every singin that game was awesome (except, IMO, Mona Pizza, I just did not like it).

universe-X

Still no thoughts? Wow, school has hit hard . . .

Cobraroll

Doo-doot-doot-doo-doo-doot! The way this song starts has become a staple later. Short intro, on to funny melody.

The melody itself is upbeat and cool, and can really be played at any tempo. At slow speed, it's a nice, über-nostalgic tango; when played faster, it's stressful and fun at the same time.

The fun part with the Overworld Theme is how you can start playing it at any part of the song - almost whatever measure you like - and stop at any time as well, it doesn't sound weird at all. It can be interrupted by coin/star/mushroom catch sounds at any time, this is part of its charm.

Umm... I'm really too tired to write anything more about it. Other than, I love this song.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

universe-X

Yes this song should be the most recognizable by any (so-called) member of NSM if any measure were to be played.

universe-X

Ok, moving on. *sigh*

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Windmill Hut (A.K.A. Song of Storms):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ZPpGdt1xQ

Brawl RemiX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFTUgFOMfgA

Personally, I like the Brawl version better, but that's just me. . .  :P

This is the first time that I've really actually payed attention to this song. I could guess that a lot of OoT plays can get a lot of nostalgia out of this. This song makes me think that I'm on a pirate ship, sailing through the dark clouds of the unknown, looking for that lost treasure. The ocarina use in this is beautiful, genius, and amazing. The little snaps, echos, tambourines, etc. just locks in that pirate feeling. I bet that a bunch of people would be sticking around the Windmill Hut for this. I could only imagine, since the current TOOL-ASSISTED WORLD RECORD is a few minutes under 3 hours. I am not about to spend 3 hours playing a Zelda game without hearing this nice tune in it. Any other thoughts?

Seeker

Pirates? Maybe with the Brawl one.

I actually first encountered this in Oracle of Seasons. I always though that the guy with the phonograph was cursed or something. I always hear some variation with rapid eighths replacing the melody in the back of my mind when I hear this. While it is a good piece, I have no idea why Kondo decided this was the Song of Storms. It doesn't seem storm like at all.
This is a signature.

universe-X

Oh yeah, you're right, I was thinking about the Brawl version.

And after listening to the original version again, I would have to say that the instrument is too bright to be named Song of Storms.  :-\ But everyone has their own perspective.

Cobraroll

I imagine being under deck on a ship sailing on high seas. Masts and sail are long gone, the ship is rolling, and it's hard to sit straight on the floor, not to mention standing on your feet. Nobody is on deck any more, they are all flushed away or have escaped down here. The rain constantly pelts the deck above with water, and the constant rumble from the waves outside makes it hard to hear anything. In the corner of the small room, and old man with a peg leg sits with his accordion, playing. The Song of Storms begins.

It's just despair and hopelessness, sitting in the middle of something you can't control. Like the Molgera Battle tune, in some ways.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Maretocks

Ahh, I love this song. Like the SMB Overworld theme, it can be played at almost any tempo.

Slowly, it's a beautiful, calming song, and because of it's length, you can repeat it, and it never gets drawn out or boring. Every moment of it is pleasure.

Played fast, it's an exciting, engaging piece that makes you feel like just running around outside, and again, it doesn't get boring.

I personally think that, rather than the chaotic and fearsome aura of a storm, it portrays the rain and gray clouds instead of lightning and wind. The ambient bass gives the song a perfect foundation, and it definitely makes you feel like you're protected from the storm, well for me anyway. It gives me the feeling I'm under a shelter in the middle of the woods, the sky is overcast and gray and there's a light rain. Plus, I like that kind of weather, so that adds to my love of the song even more.

I don't have much to comment on the Brawl version. It's a faster version, and yeah, all I can say is pirates. :P
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

universe-X

I don't know why everyone hates the Brawl version so much (YouTube comments). It has a deeper, thick tone to it that deserves the name Song of Storms. Don't get me wrong, though. The ocarina was beautiful.

The song overall makes me think of the gray storm...

but I can see an island far off, where a ray of light is shining on it, which also signaled as the ray of hope.

Brassman388

Song of Storms. Good times. Not much to say other than its awesome.

As for interpretations? Its an ode to precipitation, in a style that I can't really make out. I'll have to listen to it a bit closer next chance I get.