News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrP

I can attest that there are some liberal arts majors that are really tough, even when they may not necessarily be "difficult".

For my History Minor, I had to take a course that was 5 credits (meaning we met for 5 hours in a week), but then we had research discussions and papers upon papers. Though thoroughly enjoyable, it's difficult because of all the time and work I put into the class. I know it's not the same, but it's similar.

That being said, I wish all the luck to liberal arts majors looking for jobs out of college. You probably won't get one [easily].

The Deku Trombonist

This is the part where I mention my 6hrs of practice a day on top of classes, written work and other rehearsals/gigs etc (I didn't learn Berio's Sequenza V by being lazy  :P)

Not that I'm complaining; I wouldn't dream of it. I love what I do and I wouldn't dream of doing anything else. But the cynicism is well justified. In most things you get out what you put in but this is even more so with music. I've lost count of the number of people who just coast through music, looking for an easy ride and it does hurt to see how they bring down the standards of those around them and the ensembles in which they take part.

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on December 04, 2014, 03:37:18 PMaw someone on FB complaining on how hard being a music major is. A FUCKING MUSIC MAJOR. I had to use all my restraint to not say mean things. I mean, no offense to the music majors here, but it's a fucking art major. I'm half-way through two straight weeks of testing in four different science/math classes NOT INCLUDING LABS so technically 6 different science/math classes. So I'm a bit stressed and any liberal arts majors who think they've got it rough should just never talk again.

To be fair, people that don't reach the same level of difficulty that you see in your own field could never understand and properly evaluate the potential difference

me irl
[close]

K-NiGhT

Kefka i've been trying to tell you for the last 20 minutes that we have to do stuff pretty similar to what you do, on top of all the extra shit that's required of a music major. Though it's only my first semester, I had my psychology and speech classes that gave a test at least once a week, a paper every other, along with outside research projects in both. That's not even including study time and labs. Compound that with the hours of practice I have to do for violin, piano, and voice lessons, the lessons themselves, ensemble rehearsals, performance exams, final exams, piano proficiency, and you have a pretty tough schedule. That's just my first semester. Next year I have to take a calc class, an organic chem class, education major-related classes, and all that shit I just listed plus more music.

All I'm saying is while some of it may not be as "difficult" as you say it is, but I'd appreciate if you didn't pass judgement on my field of study without knowing what actually goes into it.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

FierceDeity

Can we all stop with the pissing contest, please?

It was pretty silly of SFK to talk shit about music majors on a website largely populated by them, but the response is kind of hypocritical. No matter what your area of study, you get out of education what you put into it. The stigma comes from the fact that subjects with more codified information (i.e. sciences and such) tend to be much more grade-centric, because it's easier to evaluate students' knowledge. Grading for music classes (at least, in my experience) tends to be slightly more lenient because of this, but that doesn't mean we don't have to spend nearly as much time working inside and outside of our official schedule. The truth is, the "harder" major is determined by several factors (school, program, professors, individual tendencies), but even if we count them all up to figure out who has the shittiest workload, it doesn't fucking matter. Not in the slightest.

We have all gone to school to learn; we've passed that point in life where all that matters is our GPA, or how we size up to students in other majors with whom we will share no competition whatsoever! Those who work harder in their respective fields are more likely to succeed in those fields. And that is all that fucking matters.

MaestroUGC

Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

mikey

Hi guys!
Undeclared...
But I'm getting my associate's soon!
unmotivated

K-NiGhT

wait what could you be getting an associate's degree in if you're undelcared?
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

mikey

unmotivated

FierceDeity

Quote from: K-NiGhT on December 04, 2014, 07:57:59 PMwait what could you be getting an associate's degree in if you're undelcared and 16 years old?

MaestroUGC

mikey

Hey
All I'm doing is getting 60 credits in 10 particular study areas and I get a free diploma, the fee is waived because I'm pseo
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on December 04, 2014, 07:09:03 PMTo be fair, people that don't reach the same level of difficulty that you see in your own field could never understand and properly evaluate the potential difference

u do realize you're being one of those people
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

I find all roads of education to be easy, mainly because I like learning in general.

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: SlowPokemon on December 04, 2014, 09:53:21 PMu do realize you're being one of those people

You could try reading the post again and you might find that it was written in a neutral standpoint :D

My own opinion isn't so neutral, but I am making that concession towards it.  Many things are relative however, so I suppose it depends on how you personally define difficulty anyway.

me irl
[close]