News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsigTurtle

Y'know, now that you mention cultures, I think they do play an important part in education, in how people are taught and in how people perceive learning. Maybe half of the population in my city is Chinese, and there's a bit of a mismatch between the Western education system and Asian cultural values. Since, as daj noted, the financial conservatism part is already drilled into us, the finances unit of the BC Planning course is seen as rather unnecessary.

My personal thoughts on the matter is that even if you're not taught about money management, job-seeking, and politics at school, there are so many resources out there that you should be able to learn about them outside of school. If you truly want to know something, don't wait for someone else to tell you, take steps to learn by yourself. School can't teach you everything, it only gives you a foundation that you can continue building on. Stuff like algebra, you can build on and apply in finances, where stuff like compound interest comes into play.

Trainer Ave

However this would imply that schools are teaching students to properly use resources. This would also imply that one haccess to those resources. Furthermore it leaves one important question. If people are expected to learn by use of resources that are not part of controlled education system then is the system truly necessary? Also just googling the practical things that every person needs to learn is completely nonsensical when you take into account the amount of impractical and unuseful information handed down to students. The current education system is so broken that schools are constantly cramming worthless information into the heads of students while simultaneously not allowing them to pursue their interests, destroying their creativity and causing copious amounts of stress which the students are ill-equipped to deal with. Students are forced  to learn numerous things they will never use and have no interest in so repetively that it has a deep psychological effect causing students to lose the desire to learn and subsequently their creativity. With the loss of creativity society and technology cannot progress. College is FAR too late to allow students to begin pursuing their interests. By that time the majority of students have lost the desire to learn. I have an idea for an education system that I believe would balance academic and practical information as well as allow students to pursue their interests and express their creativity and individuality. I will be releasing a YouTube video giving a full rundown of this system sometime during the month of October.
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

mikey

I agree with the destroying creativity thing.  Have you ever watched young kids play and be like I wish I was still that imaginative
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Had a pretty frustrating lesson today that we decided to end twenty minutes early because I couldn't properly play a single note. I haven't had this kind of day in a long time and I think it's because my senior recital rep is kind of overwhelming me--it's tremendously hard to memorize so much repertoire, especially when it's all more advanced stuff than I'm used to.

The problematic piece today was the third/fourth movement of Beethoven Sonata No. 28 Op. 101, in A Major. I'm not sure if I've taken on a piece this challenging ever (the first two movements are quite manageable by comparison, but the third is nonstop insanity). And I went in expecting to go through the entire thing and then discuss some practice techniques but my playing was so bad today that we spent forever on the first two pages, which is just introductory/transitional material, and then again on the next three pages, where he establishes the movement's main theme. So, not even halfway through the piece, and not even up to the section that's giving me immense trouble, which is when Beethoven arranges the theme into a four-voice fugue because he doesn't care about my health or wellbeing.

I never have lessons like this, and my professor could sense me getting frustrated and having that sort of day, so he was very encouraging and told me he's not concerned about me putting together my recital on time, that I'm one of his best students, etc. And I know everyone has these kinds of lessons once in a while, and that I'm already making good progress on other things. But I still feel kind of sick about it and I hope I can make more progress soon.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

You can do it.  You're you and you is the kin of person that can get it done
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 30, 2016, 06:57:50 AMHave you ever watched young kids play and be like I wish I was still that imaginative
implying some of us still aren't geez noct how could you ignore this force of creative genius /s
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Zunawe

Quote from: BoywithoutaFairy on September 30, 2016, 01:54:24 AM...
So then the argument is that students should be able to have more choice during high school, and school should be more engaging in general. Which would be cool. I certainly feel like I got that choice at my high school for most classes (maybe not English), but I was in a pretty wealthy area. What are some examples of all this useless information? You haven't really given any.

I'll admit to playing devil's advocate here; I was even thinking a couple days ago about how I don't really have a great reference for how to manage money. But to call the current education curriculum useless is pretty extreme.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

braix

As a high school student now, I'd like to input my thoughts on the matter of the education system in America.

Regarding being taught "useless" knowledge:
The way I see it, it's a way to give everybody equal knowledge on various subjects, which could then be expanded upon later in life. If you decide to go into history but then change your mind and want to do math instead, you've already done a lot of the studying and only need to refresh(a lot easier than learning completely unfamiliar concepts from scratch). If we were to choose our path early on in school and have focus on only that all our lives, it would be incredibly difficult to switch to something else. You would be in your 20s trying to learn high school math for the first time. And the youth in general, especially in America, seem to not be able to focus on one thing for a very long time without changing their mind. For that reason I believe having a strong foundation on basic academic subjects is important, regardless of what career path you'll take.

Regarding not being taught the important stuff:
Let's face it, most people don't have the slightest interest in learning about the real world before high school. I think that having optional classes in high school would be good enough. Besides, it's stuff that you can learn from experiencing life, not just listening to lectures. The focus of high school should be to equip you with learning skills, rather than life skills. The latter is a lot of experimentation and intuition.

I think the current system is fine, and far from useless.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 30, 2016, 09:51:14 AMYou can do it.  You're you and you is the kin of person that can get it done

Thanks for caring Noc <3
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Trainer Ave

As for useless info here's a few things school has drilled into my head.
1. The elements on the last column on the periodic table cannot bond with other elements.
2. Hitler was born in Austria.
3. Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.
4. The Protestant Reformation was started by Martin Luther.
5. The quadratic equation. [-b(+or-)the square root of(4ac)]/2a
6. How to solve a system of equations.
7. How to multiply matrices.
8. My class actually dissected a cow's eye.
9. Anything I ever learned about Shakespeare.
10. Anything I ever learned about Edgar Allan Poe.,
11. Anything I ever learned about William Faulkner.
12. Anything I ever learned about Robert Frost.
13. Tobacco was the best selling crop of the southern American colonies.
14. Oxygen has an atomic number of 6.
15. Columbus thought he was in India.
16. Imaginary numbers.
17. Irrational numbers.
There are many others but I won't list them all.

When I say the education system is unuseful I'm referring to the fact that students are not left with enough information that they can use in the real world. I've stated before that I have an idea for a better education system that provides a basic academic education and practical information to use in the real world as well as allowing students to express their creativity and individuality while also not giving them an overwhelming sense of stress and anxiety. I will try to release a YouTube video giving a full rundown of this system sometime during the month of October.
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

When you say "education system", you mean the American one, right?

Anyway, jumping off topic here, I really don't like it when people start shit at school. Don't think any further explanation is needed.

mikey

I think you got the quad equation wrong
Hey Zorro #3 :^)
unmotivated

Trainer Ave

YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

E. Gadd Industries

I hate my life at the moment. Things are bad enough in my "relationship" with my dad, and mom is turning too. Wheeeeeeeeee can I just graduate and go to college now? I'm tired of dealing with this crap.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]