The future of NSM

Started by Cobraroll, April 10, 2010, 01:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you arrange non-piano sheet music? (Please don't vote if you don't arrange)

Yes, I've done some sheets
18 (48.6%)
No, but I would like to
7 (18.9%)
No, just piano
12 (32.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

KefkaticFanatic

Yeah, responsibility.  Everyone knows I'm responsible.

Also, I like Apollomix's uploader too.

me irl
[close]

dahans

I would like to help to fix the site. I am not really a bad arranger...
And I totally agree with you master_gamer38. But you should make an own thread for it...
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

The Deku Trombonist

Well put master_gamer38. And yes, there are only so many arrangements I can fix before I want to throw my keyboard at something...

Dahans: If you want to help fix the site, pick a game and start re-arranging all the crappy arrangements from that game that are on the site (If you can be bothered). Don't forget to let us know which game you picked by way of the Fixing the Sheets Project thread.

Kefka: I also like Apollomix's uploader but if a similar system was to be implemented here, perhaps it could do with an "Add to Existing Section" / "Create New Section" option to at least go a little way to preventing human error
Quote from: Maretocks on April 21, 2010, 01:40:32 AMThe 3 Brawl arrangements are under Suoer Smash Bros Brawl.

Cobraroll

Quote"photos of members thread"
Honestly, I'd like someone to explain how on earth this would help NSM.

"annual member awards"
For what? And what would be given? Honestly, people should do this because they like doing this. They shouldn't need any more motivation.

Okay, I'll adress your points. Thank you for taking the time to read.

First and foremost, those were loose suggestions. As you might have seen, other suggestions were a lot more on-topic, and these were at the bottom of the list.

The reason why I put them there, is that the other forum I frequent has a Member-only subforum where everything is off-topic (It's the coasterforce.com forums, if you wonder). It's the place where in-jokes are born, continued and eventually doze off only to be resurrected five years later. It's not relevant to the site at all, but as the forum isn't public, it has more of a relaxed attitude than the rest of the site. It's the place where members call each other by first names, share stories about their everyday doings, and support each other when times get tough. We get to know each other there, and many old members still venture the Member subforum, even though they "couldn't give a flying poo about coasters anymore", as one member put it. Basically, if the site is an office where people sit in their cubicles to work all day, the Member forum is the annual company BBQ party.

Basically, it helps integrating new members, and keep the old ones to stay. The member awards are basically a tradition, though the title "Best new member" or "Gamesmaster" can give the winner more respect.

But as I said, loose suggestions. NSM might be a too small community for this at the moment, and the PYTOTM thread may be sufficent for now.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Treeckodude

People won't know me, since I only recently registered, but I've around on the site as a guest for quite a while now. Anyways...

Please read all of this post. Don't skim read it and don't read half.

This site has potential. Lots of it. We just need people who have the time/can be bothered to work at making it better. There are some amazing arrangements here, and I'm sure we don't want to see them go. I personally have quite a lot of time and would love to help out. I'd like to mention this:

There is no 'i' in 'team'.

We are a community. We are a team. It's not about one person, it's about everyone. But some people don't think of themselves making the effort, they think that others will do it instead. So maybe the phrase should be:

There is no 'u' (you) in 'team'.

In other words, people can't say 'you do it'. We all have to work together to help this community. I don't want to see it crash and burn. Do you?

I would like to help out. I would like to upload and fix sheets and anything else. Because I want to see this site prosper. (And if you don't know me enough to trust me, then that's fine)

I'm not trying to moan, or rant. I want to help. Please, help this site stay alive!

dahans

IMO you are trustworthy :D. I hope you will become part of the uploader team :D.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

universe-X

:( I've never done so much reading in a day...

Ruto

Wow I am seriously late to this thread.

I found NSM through youtube actually. I had a sister learning the piano and she was skimming through some videos when someone linked to this site. I am actually not much of a musician, as I've only had a few horrible memories of music class as a kid, singing, playing the recorder and having everyone tease me, but I was really happy when I found this site where I could make up for those crappy experiences :D Also I've been lurking for a while but I finally got an account recently after seeing this Pokemon discussion. The drama was a bit scary sometimes though.

If no one minds, may I suggest that there be an easier way for newcomers to view the sheets? I agree with having pdfs but I'd do something about Finale Reader too. Installing Finale Reader is a pain in the ass, but it is a new way (to my friends to studied music without any computers) to see sheets. But I couldn't convince them to download it unless I made it easy for them by allowing them to access my account, so they'd skip the registration process. What if NSM had an account like that? I have not read the entire terms of service but since this is private use, would the the company mind?

I really think there are some good ideas out there. But arranging does take a lot of time than recording yourself on Youtube. It's going to need a lot more musicians and a lot more people with the tools to do it (Allegro,etc) before it turns into something like ...squaresound? (>>>a random google hit)

/rant

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

TheLegend

How is this a rant? I think you did a good job explaining... I completely agree with you.  We need to upload the finale download file onto NSM, since I think you can only download Finale Reader once... that would solve everything.  One file, over thousands of pdf files.  that is much simpler (of course, we would have to talk to Finale about that first). 

Yes, we need more musicians, and arrangers.  I'm going to start arranging.  I can tell you, I'm good with my ear.  Just not that good at playing  :P only on fur elise.  anyway, the point of this was that I completely agree with Ruto. 

universe-X

There are other ways of getting Finale, you know. We just can't talk about it openly, nor can we make one whole NSM account. Too many expenses...

or is it?

master_gamer38

I believe even with a teacher's account, you only get 35 copies. That won't work. Deal with finale reader. It works fine.
Avid user of NFNet IRC network.

peachrules

Yeah, I agree with that.

Lol, when I read the title, I thought the site was going to close. :P

TheLegend

fact: the site willl never close

Brassman388

Maretocks

Converting to PDF's would be relatively easy. Relatively.

Basically-
-Requires the download of Notation Composer (MidiNotate Composer I think it's actually called.) Fantastic for editing MIDI's. Acquire at your own discretion. ;) I've used it before (I used a trial) and absolutely adored it.

-Requires the download of CutePDF Converter.

-Download the MIDI for the respective sheet, open in Notation Composer, File/Print, select CutePDF and it will convert to a PDF.

This allows the creator of the sheet to use Finale to create the sheet, then to save as a MIDI, then to convert to a PDF. Once you have all the preliminary stuff, implementing PDF's could be made incredibly easy, all it would take is a bit of dedicated effort to convert the current sheets.

Yeah, I know I don't arrange. I might contribute to the Fixing of the Sheets if I get time. :) /Hypocrisy confession
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>