News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

The Introduction Thread

Started by Concerto No.20 in D minor, March 18, 2008, 08:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clanker37

Quote from: braixen1264 on January 09, 2015, 11:12:39 AMAlso I find it hard to read sheets with a more than 3 sharps/flats in the key
I write the accidentals in pencil where I find it difficult remember.

Xaoz

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 09, 2015, 11:07:44 AMI got a guitar when I was 6 years old and 10 years later i still couldn't figure it out.  Strings just aren't my thing.  Personally I think piano is one of the easier instruments to learn lol

Guess for me it's exactly the opposite... Piano feels super hard to me but it is a lot more fun!

Quote from: Bespinben on January 09, 2015, 10:45:36 AMKeyword: near. ;)

I feel like it is completely impossible. Not to "play" some pieces, but to understand and to really get a feeling for the instrument and the music. In the short time that I take lessons, I learned so much stuff that I did not even know existed and is possible...
For me it would not be possible without a teacher and I hope it is not because I suck so hard :D

Quote from: Bespinben on January 09, 2015, 10:45:36 AMHymnals are usually good sight-reading practice. The harmonies are usually very predictable, so you get a feeling for chord awareness too. It's how I got better at it, tbh.

Thanks! Will definitely give it a try!

More advice! GO!

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

Bespinben

Quote from: Xaoz on January 09, 2015, 11:28:07 AMMore advice! GO!
If you got enough time for it, making your own arrangements really helps a lot. Plus, you get to cater the difficulty of it to your level of playing.

(Please don't leave NSM. We need less trolls.)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Xaoz

Quote from: Bespinben on January 09, 2015, 11:54:40 AMIf you got enough time for it, making your own arrangements really helps a lot. Plus, you get to cater the difficulty of it to your level of playing.

(Please don't leave NSM. We need less trolls.)

Not gonna leave in the near future, I guess. NSM is related to piano and has to do with some of my favourite games. Also there are people giving me advice for free! What more could a man ask for in life? :D

I don't think I am ready to make my own arrangements, though. It looks pretty complex and my knowledge of music theory is extremely limited (like non existant). Of course I am working on this, but at the moment... I do not even have the slightest idea where I should even start.

Btw... people seem to love your arrangements!

Quote from: Clanker37 on January 09, 2015, 10:49:17 AM...I struggle sometimes with some of the stuff on this site! It's mostly Bespinben's fault...

Quote from: Maelstrom on January 09, 2015, 08:28:42 AMJust don't look at any of Bespinben's arrangements if you don't want a heart attack.

I really need to check them out :D

Sebastian

Quote from: Bespinben on January 09, 2015, 10:45:36 AMHymnals are usually good sight-reading practice. The harmonies are usually very predictable, so you get a feeling for chord awareness too. It's how I got better at it, tbh.
Very true!
I do this often.

Quote from: Xaoz on January 09, 2015, 12:06:29 PMNot gonna leave in the near future, I guess? NSM is related to piano and has to do with some of my favourite games. Also there are people giving me advice for free! What more could a man ask for in life? :D
Awesome! Nice to have you around :)

Quote from: Xaoz on January 09, 2015, 12:06:29 PMI don't think I am ready to make my own arrangements, though. It looks pretty complex and my knowledge of music theory is extremely limited (like non existant). Of course I am working on this, but at the moment... I do not even have the slightest idea where I should even start.
If you ever have any questions or need any help in the future, just ask! :)

Xaoz

Quote from: mariolegofan on January 09, 2015, 12:08:17 PMAwesome! Nice to have you around :)

We will see...

Quote from: mariolegofan on January 09, 2015, 12:08:17 PMIf you ever have any questions or need any help in the future, just ask! :)

Actually I do... Regarding own arrangements... I never thought about it before. For me it always seemed to be something really complicated. But now that you guys mention it as good practice I am interested in it. Is it possible for a beginner like me to even do this? When did you guys start arranging?

MaestroUGC

I started arranging about two years after I first picked up the instrument. It's great practice for ear training and such.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Bespinben

Quote from: Xaoz on January 09, 2015, 12:06:29 PMBtw... people seem to love your arrangements!
I really need to check them out :D
Awww thanks :3

Quote from: Maelstrom on January 09, 2015, 08:28:42 AMDon't worry about it. I still can't play 95% of them. Just don't look at any of Bespinben's arrangements if you don't want a heart attack :P
Hmm... you might like my Link's Awakening stuff Xaoz:
http://www.ninsheetm.us/download/pdf/1302
Use your full body.

Quote from: Xaoz on January 09, 2015, 12:20:00 PMIs it possible for a beginner like me to even do this? When did you guys start arranging?
If you got the ear for it, arranging comes pretty naturally. I barely knew anything about music theory when I started arranging, then a wonderful man named Pumpyheart commented on my stuff... good times.

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Xaoz

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 09, 2015, 12:22:08 PMI started arranging about two years after I first picked up the instrument. It's great practice for ear training and such.

Ah nice to know, thanks. I bought a book about ear training, but I lack the basic music theories to really go on with it. I am not as motivated to learn the theory as playing, though. :D

Xaoz

Quote from: Bespinben on January 09, 2015, 12:24:14 PMHmm... you might like my Link's Awakening stuff Xaoz:
http://www.ninsheetm.us/download/pdf/1302
Use your full body.
Wtf did I just read.. What if I asked you for the fingering? :D And I thought this was fancy!

edit: Dat measure 15!

Maelstrom

Well, I've only been arranging since April and I just got this on the site.
But, one of the best ways to learn is to try, and fail. Seriously. Everyone learns more from feedback on terrible arrangements than good ones. You will need to have a basic understanding of things things like accidentals, key signatures, time signature recognition, note length recognition (including triplets) etc. You can learn everything else here. mlf probably wouldn't want me to say this, but he can never seem to get the right key signature and he has arranged a ludicrous amount. Don't worry if you are unsure of anything. We're here to help!

Magic Mole

Yeah I'd definitely suggest at least giving arranging a try. I just tried arranging for the first time(like 2 weeks ago) with little to no music theory experience and I've learned a TON just from the feedback on my first arrangement. I think what these guys have been saying is right, as long as you can hear notes and put them into sheet form, you can do it. Just start with something easy and work your way up. If you've got the ear, that's a start, you can learn the rest as you go. You never know, you might enjoy it more than you think.  ;D

SlowPokemon

In my experience, the only way to get good at arranging is to be bad at arranging. That is, just jump in the cold water and flail around aimlessly for a while so you can get to a point where your body is accustomed to the cold. You won't know what you're doing for a while, but it's honestly the only decent way to understand the arranging process. Just brave your fears and jump right in.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

braix

Well my arrangements so far are just me sitting at my piano for hours trying to get the right notes and put them in notation form in Finale.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

SlowPokemon

That's what you have to do for a while. That's not a bad thing.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.