Sekter77's Arrangements (I'm back!)

Started by Sekter77, October 19, 2010, 08:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PianoMan

Since you seem like you're a super mario land guy, do you mind doing one of the overworlds for sml1? There's a really popular rendition of it...
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/25509
I'm not sure how to find the original, but this sounds boss.

Sekter77

Whoa, a request! I've actually never really played SML1 honestly, and this song's already been arranged by Shadoninja. It's called "Birabuto Kingdom" on the site. But I guess I could do it anyway if you really wanted me to as I like the song a lot.
On the other hand, that piano version you linked there is incredible!
Guitar and video games.

Sekter77

Finally finished this one off. I have no idea if all the harmonies are playable so if I need to move them into the other clef or change the octave or anything, please let me know and I'll make sure to fix it. But I was glad to be able to pick all those notes out in the first place!

{GB} Pokemon Gold/Silver
Title â€" MUS â€" MIDI
Guitar and video games.

pumpy_heart

As far as playability goes, measures 18 and 23-24 are unplayable because of the reach. 31 and 33 will take a mighty talented pianist to jump from octave D's to the A. Not impossible, so I won't say unplayable. But might could be changed to give ease of playability.
Sounds really good. Just some unplayable parts. Fix that up and it's an excellent arrangement.

Sekter77

Alright. In measure 24 I dropped the first half of the harmony an octave and stuck it with the bass and I did the same thing in 23 as well. For 31 and 33, I just decided to take out the first A so the leap from that octave won't be as intense. Barring any other parts I missed, it should be good to go.
All my links are updated so the new version should be there.
Guitar and video games.

Sekter77

Here's a definitely not Christmas-y song for Christmas! I wish I would've though about doing something festive earlier. However, everyone else's Christmas medleys sound excellent!

{Wii} Super Paper Mario
The Ultimate Show â€" MUS â€" MIDI

I hope the beginning is ok seeing as there wasn't much to work with from the original.
Guitar and video games.

Korados

Nice first attempt, but the first thing I had in mind while listening to it was: It sounds pretty "hollow" in my opinion. The bassline seems to be uncomplete. Further, the rhythm seems to be a bit off, or is it just me?

Sekter77

Yeah, I'll agree with you there. I guess a lot of the sound in that song is hard to really pin down to a specific note or is crowded out by the rest of it . Either that or I'm just not trying hard enough. The bass probably is off a bit rhythm wise especially the first part of it. I suppose I can go back through it tomorrow and see if there's anything I can add to it.
Guitar and video games.

Sekter77

Right, so I've been way too distracted lately, but there are some songs I'm really looking forward to working on and I have a good bit of confidence I can get them worked out (no guarantees though, I'm still a beginner).
Anyway, I did get Route 113 mostly done. (Original) I'm really confident about the right hand part (except I wish I could make the last part sound different) and the bass up until about Measure 20 (I also realized over break that I'm pretty terrible at figuring out chords). This is especially illustrated by the fact that the bass part is incomplete! If anyone wants to offer some help getting this finished up I'd really appreciate it and of course be willing to share credit if you want it. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to give it my best shot in a few days.
Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated too.
Guitar and video games.

WiiMan96

I'd love to help, but sadly I'm in a similar situation to you, still a beginner and fairly hopeless at finding chords. Good luck anyway, man. :D

Sekter77

I'm still taking any help that can be given with regards to my Route 113 arrangement!
But I decided to be productive and attempted something a little easier. I managed to knock this one out in just one day! Definitely a record for me (I had to stay up really late to do it though).

{SNES} Donkey Kong Country
Forest Frenzy â€" MUS - MIDI

There are playback issues from Measures 5-9 because dynamics are fiddly and difficult to assign correctly. If anyone knows how to get the dynamics properly assigned that'd be great. I'm not 100% confident about the 32nd note runs either, but they sound accurate enough. Feedback is of course greatly appreciated!
Guitar and video games.

The Deku Trombonist

Dynamics....oh no.....this could take a while.

For piano, although there are two staffs, Finale treats it as one instrument. So generally, Finale will take a dynamic you assign to one staff and apply it to both. I say generally because Finale tends to be a little stupid at times :P. Anyway, so this means if you want different dynamics in different hands to playback properly, you have to make Finale treat the two staffs ase separate instrument. To do this, in the menu go to the Window-> Instrument list. There, you have a list of staffs and their respective volume/pan/instrument/ etc. You'll want to change the instrument of one of the staffs, I don't think it matters which one but I always do it to the bottom stave. Click the down arrow in the instrument column on your chosen staff and select "New Instrument.." A wild window appears! Change the value of Channel from 1 to 2 and don't forget to change the General Midi playback instrument to whatever you use. Press ok. Conglaturations, that's it. Now if you go to the mixer, you find you can change the overall volume of the staffs individually and you can also change the panning individually which can sound kinda cool sometimes.

Now you can make your dynamics play properly yay. You may have to redo some of the crescendo/decrescendo lines. I'm not sure. Also, for safe measure, when you're making crescendo/decrescendo lines, I find it most reliable to create it over the staff and then drag it up/down as needed to ensure that it applies to the correct staff. Also, it's only worth going through this whole thing in arrangements that need separate dynamics for both hands. Otherwise, you have to put all dynamics in both hands for it to playback properly. Or alternately, you could be really crafty and put them one over the other like I did in Battle with Grunty from B-K. But that tends to require zooming in alot to make sure they're aligned properly.

Having said all that, now I haven't got the time to look at your arrangement. Perhaps later today.

[/WALLOFTEXT]

Sekter77

Many thanks! Your wall of text was very helpful. That problem should be fixed and I even added a couple more dynamics just for fun.

Route 113 desperately needs some looking at though if you have the time for that too.
Guitar and video games.

Sekter77

This is one of my favorite songs from this game!

{SNES}
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - School House Harmony
MUS - MIDI

Feel free to critique and all that.
Guitar and video games.

Cobraroll

Route 113 is a tricky one. While your arrangement technically is accurate, it sounds rather hopeless, and the fast notes in the bass seem thrown in at random. The original song relies heavily on drums and percussion to get a proper flow. I know NSM usually aims for accuracy, but in this case, I think it's time to get creative instead. Either make it a duet and keep the fast notes on one piano, while the other plays an invented bass, or scrap the entire bassline and create something from scratch, is my suggestion.

That, or "tap the piano with your idle limbs" written somewhere, with drum notes.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.