News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Arrangement contests - brainstorming topic

Started by Cobraroll, August 29, 2011, 01:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exams are coming! When will you be finished?

Earlier than May 10
7 (36.8%)
May 10 - May 20
3 (15.8%)
May 21 - May 31
4 (21.1%)
June 1 - June 10
2 (10.5%)
After June 10
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

MaestroUGC

Well my vote would be to waltz-ify pieces. We can easily judge the arrangements against the original to see how well preserved the music is, and it will be a nice test to see what people can do with the originals while trying to make a good waltz.

On the issue of judging, we need to gid rid of the formating issue. Instead we need to have four categories, about worth five points each, with a fifth for popular vote. 1) Orchestration: Do the instruments serve the music? A simple copy/paste would result in a low score, while a dynamic orchestration would yield something higher. 2) Preservation: does the arrangement make it clear what the original was while meeting the criteria? If the arrangement only makes a single reference to the original while it does something else entirely, then it'll get a low score. 3) Creativity: does the arrangement go beyond the criteria? If it only does the basic change, low score. 4) Criteria: does the arrangement meet the criteria for the challenge? If no, low score; barely, middle; totally, high. 5) Popular vote: each entry gets a correspoding score from everyone who votes, an average from the votes for the piece out of all the votes.

We'd need three judges, plus a forth rotating judge if the judges wish to participate in the contest, to compensate for bias. If not then three would do.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Cobraroll

Okay, to reiterate:

QuoteOn the issue of judging, we need to gid rid of the formating issue. Instead we need to have four categories, about worth five points each, with a fifth for popular vote:
1) Orchestration: Do the instruments serve the music? A simple copy/paste would result in a low score, while a dynamic orchestration would yield something higher.
2) Preservation: does the arrangement make it clear what the original was while meeting the criteria? If the arrangement only makes a single reference to the original while it does something else entirely, then it'll get a low score.
3) Creativity: does the arrangement go beyond the criteria? If it only does the basic change, low score.
4) Criteria: does the arrangement meet the criteria for the challenge? If no, low score; barely, middle; totally, high.
5) Popular vote: each entry gets a correspoding score from everyone who votes, an average from the votes for the piece out of all the votes.

We'd need three judges, plus a forth rotating judge if the judges wish to participate in the contest, to compensate for bias. If not then three would do.

Also, there seems to be popular demand to take any game song, and turn it into a decided musical style (proposals: march, waltz, no guarantee that we're going for either) using whatever instruments the arranger see fit.

Does this sum up what we've got so far? Come on people, this is the phase where you can influx the next round!
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

SlowPokemon

:X I'm pretty sure maestro said waltz...march would be clumsier and harder in my opinion, but I suppose if more people wanted it I for one would be up for doing either.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bespinben

I think the decided musical style should be rock. It'd be fun.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

Rock is an umbrella term, for all the many genres of rock (metal, pop, punk, heavy, etc, not to mention all of the combinations...)
That variety alone would make fair judging nearly impossible. If people were to choose one of them, then that would be easier. Personally, I'd rather not due rock in any sense.

Shadoninja

"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Cobraroll

They managed to do it with Gourmet Race, but... yeah, perhaps rock is a little out of the question unless we're really creative with the restrictions. Other styles, though... Could ragtime work? Or polka? Swing/Jazz?

On a note for eventual later rounds, what about "applying a setting"? For instance, here is a version of Dragon Roost Island with a pirate setting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8N0zdpGPn8

We could choose other settings as well. Western, Jungle, Futuristic, Frosty, Eerie, whatever, really.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Bespinben

By rock, I meant something like a fight song. Take a chosen song and "battle-ify" it using standard rock band instruments (drums, electric bass, rhythm guitar, keyboard, ad lib). It wouldn't be quite as heavy as Gourmet Race SSMB perse (though it could be), but rather something that could easily fit into 1 on 1 fighting game, like Street Fighter.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

MaestroUGC

Just because it's a battle theme doesn't mean it's rock, that style of rendition is just that, a style. What you described would be the instrument set used to do it.

Raymondbl

I am not in favor of judges being able to participate as contestants.  If anything though, I would be willing to be a judge.  Contrary to what you might think, I do not think I am biased, and I have a decent understanding of music from being immersed in music so much.  If you do not need a judge or do not deem me as qualified, then I would like to participate.

I support the "Reverse Mood" idea, as it will be difficult and show the arranger's skills.  Waltzifying is a good idea too. 

Battle themes also do not need to have a fast pace, I think the Legend of Zelda Theme is somewhat of an example.   
The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.

MaestroUGC

We just did the reverse mood, it was our test run.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Raymondbl on January 11, 2012, 06:50:46 PMIf anything though, I would be willing to be a judge.

Absolutely not.

But enough joking. As much as I would hate to pass on the march idea, it seems like the waltz has the majority vote. Let's get this going already.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Meta-Ridley

I want to be in! As a participant. By the way I support the mood changing and the metre changing (not just waltzifying, but the mirror of the song)