News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

Super Update Bros - January 31st 2013

Started by EFitTrainr, January 31, 2013, 02:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobraroll

I'm more for having regular updates than big updates, as I've stated many times before.

Visitors who occasionally drop by NSM to see if there is any news will be satisfied as long as something is uploaded with regular intervals. Big updates are nice and all, but if they only happen twice a year, they won't make visitors coming back. A small trickle of sheets, down to a couple of sheets a week, would still make the main site a place where people can expect some news with regularity. And two new sheets every week will fill up the database more quickly than 30 new sheets every four months.

I propose that we keep doing the submission process exactly as we do now, with a cap on how many sheets are uploaded in every thread, but that we open up for the thread to be emptied at a pace that fits the uploaders. If they can only critique and update a handful of sheets every week, so be it. Any news is better than no news. As the submission thread is gradually emptied, the workload will lessen. When the final sheet is uploaded, a new submission thread goes up. If people want more updates, they can help review the remaining sheets.

Either way, well done! It's good that we even got an update in the first place, no matter how small it was. Now looking forward to the next!
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

spitllama

Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

FSM-Reapr

EFitTrainr

I like food.

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999

Bubbles

I know everyone's been going crazy trying to think of a way for the submissions to work, so heres another one ^^

What if each arranger set aside a place in their submissions thread with the sheets they wish to submit, and the updaters can go through and check them at their own pace? Im not sure whether it would be easier to have huge updates with multiple sheets or just one at a time, but this could work either way. They would still need to be approved by multiple updaters like they are now.

Just a thought

also
Quote from: blueflower999 on February 01, 2013, 01:04:47 PMI 100% agree with Shadowkirby

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on February 01, 2013, 01:12:31 PMWhat if each arranger set aside a place in their submissions thread with the sheets they wish to submit, and the updaters can go through and check them at their own pace? Im not sure whether it would be easier to have huge updates with multiple sheets or just one at a time, but this could work either way. They would still need to be approved by multiple updaters like they are now.
That sorta eliminates the current order we have set... (By 'order' I mean opposite of chaos)
The possibility for disaster here is huge. (If not inevitable)
Therefore, I can't really say this should be a possibility.

How could it turn out as bad as I mentioned?
1) Arrangers who haven't posted anything in their submissions topic for a long time would therefore have their topic buried under X (insert reasonably big number) pages in the submissions board. Therefore, the updaters would have a very hard time finding those people. (If they can find them at all)
2) Unless the updaters can go through sheets at an average of 'I-don't-know-but-it's-lots' sheets per hour, arrangers will be waiting forever to get their sheets looked at. Because the updaters can only deal with 1 person's arrangements at once.
3) Because only one person is getting all the attention for Y amount of time, all the other arrangers would be on hold until their turn.
Let's just say I feel bad for whoever's in last. I it were me, I'd probably get discouraged after a year or so and would probably just quit.
4) Even if your arrangements had just been looked over and those that met standards were added to the site, you'd have to wait until the entire process goes around again to get your next batch up. New ones and old ones that you fixed to meet standards.
5) If the updaters can't add sheets to the site faster than the combined efforts of all the arrangers can arrange, each arranger's list is going to get longer and longer. And therefore the time it takes for the updaters to clear that list will get longer and longer and eventually.... You get what I mean.
6) I couldn't type as fast as the thoughts flew through my head so I've forgotten the rest. I think there were two or three more I was going to write down...
But I did list the biggest points. So that's basically why I don't think that would work.

Quote from: shadowkirby on February 01, 2013, 12:19:20 PMWe should do daily updates again.
Yes if we can keep it up. It wasn't really going long enough to see if it really worked and if it did, how well; (two days is hardly a trial period. :P) but I'm ready and perfectly willing to try it again.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Cobraroll

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on February 01, 2013, 01:12:31 PMI know everyone's been going crazy trying to think of a way for the submissions to work, so heres another one ^^

What if each arranger set aside a place in their submissions thread with the sheets they wish to submit, and the updaters can go through and check them at their own pace? Im not sure whether it would be easier to have huge updates with multiple sheets or just one at a time, but this could work either way. They would still need to be approved by multiple updaters like they are now.

Actually, this was the way it was done way back when I joined. It turned out that required the mods to constantly sift through dozens of submission threads, people complaining about the mods "not picking their best song", and people claiming to be overlooked. A mess to organize. It changed to the current model to ease the work for the uploaders.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

The Deku Trombonist

Yugi

Winter

I say change nothing. Buy everyone a caffeine pill. I am starting to work on submissions if you can't tell, and what the heck is deku doing o.o

Dude

Quote from: Winter on February 01, 2013, 03:03:19 AMAnd yes, I am reading an article about the effects of throwing a baseball at 90% the speed of light.
http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/

I was reading that a few days ago too!

Winter

That's the one! And I made it through at least fifteen of those. My favorite was the 'probability of the election ending in a tie'

BonusPwnage

Quote from: Dude on February 01, 2013, 06:06:08 PMhttp://what-if.xkcd.com/1/

I was reading that a few days ago too!
This website is really cool. I would never think in the way those guys do.
My favorite was the 'Glass Half Empty' one.