News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Ace Attorney

Started by GaryOak, February 18, 2013, 12:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Quote from: blueflower999 on September 18, 2014, 12:53:49 PMI have yet to figure out why there's a character in an Ace Attorney game named Sherlock Holmes

Also was that an ancestor of Winston Payne I saw in that XDDD

I could have sworn I told you about this last week, but that's the actual Sherlock Holmes, or at least Shu Takumi's interpretation of him. Apparently Takumi is a huge fan of the Holmes novels.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SlowPokemon

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy coming to Nintendo 3DS eShop on December 9 in North America and December 11 in Europe (and presumably Australia).

Maelstrom

Yay! Right after finals!

SlowPokemon

Whoa that is actually the day before I have off school for a month now that I think about it

This plus Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire coming on the day I start Thanksgiving break is just awesome for 3DS release dates this quarter

Roz~

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Maelstrom

So, I just finished Layton vs Ace Attorney. Some thoughts:
Spoiler
1. The music was great! I'd definitely support an arrangement project.
2. Didn't see that ending coming at first. Like some other things (Umineko), it is just easier to dismiss everything as magic, that to try to prove it otherwise
3. Again, very good ending. But that trial took forever.....
4. The opening cutscene and subsequent events were never explained. How could a car get up onto trees? How could a bird transform into a floating witch when no one was exposed to the hallucinogenic yet?
5. I feel like I enjoyed the trial portions more than the other parts, most likely because I have only played and AA game before.
6. At this point, I'm not sure if I want to get a Layton game. I may just convince my brother to become interested and play the games when he gets them.  :P
[close]

blueflower999

You should get Layton games. All of them are significantly better than the game you just played.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Spoiler
1. Heck yeah, both Professor Layton and Ace Attorney have awesome music. The Layton music (which was the majority of the non-trial music) was composed by Tomohito Nishiura, who does the music for every Professor Layton game, and the new Ace Attorney music was composed by Yasamusa Kitagawa, who has never worked on an Ace Attorney title before. It's worth noting though that the opening prologue trial in Britain is just remixed music from the first Ace Attorney game, and the trial themes for each consecutive game (including this one) are loosely based on those tracks.
2. Yeah, the first few Layton games (and this one, probably since it's set in the same time frame as the first three games) have this sort of really crazy ending twist, and I guess either you can get caught up in being sour about the unrealistic nature of the story or you can suspend your disbelief and enjoy the ride.
3. Actually that last trial is I think the shortest final trial of any Ace Attorney game, besides maybe Dual Destinies. The endgame trials tend to go on for an incredibly long time, which is part of what makes it fun and like a soap opera.
4. There are free DLC episodes available in the "Bonus Content" section accessed from the title screen, and one of them explains that the statues in the park were robotic and owned by Labrelum, Inc. I'm not quite sure about the bird yet, but not all of the special episodes have been released yet so it might be addressed in a later one I guess.
5. If you didn't enjoy the non-trial parts, I'd say hold off on Layton and wait until your brother gets one or something, because even though it's the weakest Layton game, it's still pretty classic Layton gameplay and most of what you'll get in the other games will be similar.
6. Yeah, idk. I'd recommend not getting any of them besides Miracle Mask or Azran Legacy, anyway. It's worth noting though that the unexplained plot elements you mentioned are totally weird because usually in Layton games everything is totally explained, no matter how weird the logic is. It might have something to do with the script being written by Shu Takumi, the series creator of Ace Attorney and writer of the original Phoenix Wright trilogy, since he's never worked on a Professor Layton game.
[close]

Maelstrom

In defence of Dual Destinies, it's trial was technically in two parts...

But it was much more exasperating in this game when you don't resume where you left off with full health after a game over.

SlowPokemon

Oh haha well that feature is actually only in Dual Destinies so get used to saving frequently LOL

SlowPokemon

Hey, Maelstrom

Spoiler
You said that the bird turned into the witch and whatnot before anyone was exposed to the hallucinogenic, but actually Layton and Luke opened the book BEFORE that happened, so they had already been exposed to the ink. Just fyi.
[close]

Maelstrom

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 18, 2014, 05:49:05 PMHey, Maelstrom

Spoiler
You said that the bird turned into the witch and whatnot before anyone was exposed to the hallucinogenic, but actually Layton and Luke opened the book BEFORE that happened, so they had already been exposed to the ink. Just fyi.
[close]
Spoiler
But the ink made people susceptible to suggestion. It was not the hallucinogenic. (I think)
[close]

SlowPokemon

Any fan of Ace Attorney who has played the first trilogy, please read this: it's such an excellent read

http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog/2014/10/31/ace-attorney-trilogy---surprising-tidbits-you-never-knew

GaryOak

I finally had time to finish PL vs. AA. I liked it quite a bit. Also, I'm not a big fan of Layton music but Layton's theme is really badass.
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

McDucky