News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

The NinSheetMusic Redesign Suggestion Thread: The Forum

Started by Jamaha, May 05, 2013, 03:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Altissimo on February 02, 2016, 09:03:34 AMgot my own recommendation: edit logs. another forum i'm on uses them - when a post is edited you can click a thing and see how it was edited
Personally, I really don't see why this is necessary, given that the edit function is primarily used to fix typos or other errors- or otherwise things you don't want other people to see (or that would just be incredibly useless to see).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

sometimes I look at a post and wonder why did they edit it but I can't see any obvious edits so I wonder
unmotivated

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 02, 2016, 03:30:40 PMsometimes I look at a post and wonder why did they edit it but I can't see any obvious edits so I wonder

Often I do it to fix a typo or a grammar mistake, or to add in a detail that had slipped my mind before. I usually don't mark my post with a big EDIT unless it's days later and/or a significant change or addition to the post.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on February 02, 2016, 03:15:05 PMPersonally, I really don't see why this is necessary, given that the edit function is primarily used to fix typos or other errors- or otherwise things you don't want other people to see (or that would just be incredibly useless to see).
It's also been used to delete posts by people who don't have the guts to back up what they say.
what is shitpost

Zunawe

The utility would not be to drag people into meaningless disputes they tried to back out of, regardless of how "cowardly" their methods may have been. If somebody edits a post to remove something they said that they would rather not have public, I think they should be allowed to. If it's really a big enough deal that they said something, the mods should be notified and they can deal with it.

I frequently edit posts to fix minor errors or add an idea into a post to avoid double posting. Anonymous editing is completely reasonable.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Pianist Da Sootopolis

If you're going to say something stupid, at least have the balls to stand behind it.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, people will give more consideration to what they say if they know it can always be seen.
what is shitpost

mikey

I wouldn't
then again, I don't cowardly edit my posts either
unmotivated

Zunawe

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on February 02, 2016, 08:58:44 PMIf you're going to say something stupid, at least have the balls to stand behind it.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, people will give more consideration to what they say if they know it can always be seen.
Possibly, but I see very few scenarios where more consideration might change what a person says. If something embarrassing is posted like they spelled a word wrong or relayed an inaccurate fact, there's not enough harm done to warrant removing edits. If something inflammatory or insensitive is said, it's likely to get said regardless of whether it can be edited simply because it was posted in the heat of the moment. And at that point, removing the ability to edit or delete it only keeps something harmful out there.

On the other hand, if somebody accidentally reveals information that they or somebody involved would rather not have on the internet, it can't be easily edited or removed. I've had a picture of my face posted before because I forgot to mention not to when I turned on my camera in Tinychat. I asked for it to be taken down, and within 20 seconds it was, easily. That along with accidentally posting enormous pictures or other inconveniences and the major benefits of editing links in posts. Heck, what would personal arrangement threads be?

I don't think there's any reasonable need to remove the ability to edit posts, and really, the average forum user doesn't need to know what somebody edits.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

mikey

nobody's arguing for the removal of editing posts though?
unmotivated

Zunawe

I must've extrapolated something somebody said about edit logs. My mistake. Regardless, the privacy argument stands.

I program things

Dudeman

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on February 02, 2016, 08:58:44 PMIf you're going to say something stupid, at least have the balls to stand behind it.
I'd prefer: If you're going to say something stupid, at least have the balls to recognize that it's stupid and remove it before you make a fool of yourself. Admitting that you're wrong shows more maturity than trying to back up flawed or hasty reasoning. And I'm not strictly against edit history, but using a post's history to dredge up something that the person edited out (presumably because it was in poor taste and/or the poster realized its inflammatory nature) is just as immature as posting an inflammatory comment in the first place.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dude

So if I tell someone to kill themselves and they see it but I edit it out that's perfectly OK?

Wtf.

Dudeman

Well if you edited it out, I would hope that it would be because you realized your error and wished to fix it. If someone did see it and subsequently called you out, I would hope that you would apologize as a result. Simply editing it out doesn't make it right; it's the attitude behind the edit and the subsequent actions you take that matter.

Also, friendly reminder that the report button exists. If a post is reported it will be taken into consideration regardless of edits.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Zunawe

No, if you say that, it should be reported to the mods and they can deal with it regardless of edits. Saying that people who like Pokemon are immature isn't so serious, but it is something that shouldn't be posted. Apologizing for such a post is obviously the better outcome, but deleting it is preferable to standing by it simply because it's there now. And if it were edited, people shouldn't bring it up in an accusatory way because it's already obvious that the person realized their mistake.

Ninja'd by basically the same thing.

I program things