News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

Lead sheets?

Started by insaneintherain, December 29, 2013, 12:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jompa

Yeahyeah I didn't mean it like you said anything wrong, I just wanted to express my hatred towards the most useless and impractical notation method of modern times.
here comes a rant about tabs:
Not only does it require at least 10 times more practicing than normal musical notation, but there is 0 theory to gain from it, and there is rarely any theory used to make it. And since NO ONE includes chords, rests or duration of notes, but instead just tries to press as many numbers as possible in as little space as possible, it's impossible sight read, impossible to follow, and you'll literally have to listen to a recording of the song just to play it more than it would for someone who have instead chosen to focus on normal notation to arrange the whole song in sheet music. There is a reason 99% percent of guitar players suck, and can't read music. It's because tabs. When actually playing the guitar in musical context tabs won't get you anywhere. The most extreme cases that piss me off the most is when they write out the full chord parts in tabs. I don't get why anyone would ever waste their time on that.
In some cases when I see someone using/writing guitar tabs I feel insulted that we share the same hobby.
God, I hate tabs.
Birdo for Smash

Maelstrom

Yeah. I sort of agree with you. While I find guitar tabs incredibly easy to sight read (for guitar only), I still can't play from sheet music. It's just so much easier to read without learning the actual notes and what they correspond to.

Olimar12345

I agree, no tabs.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 15, 2014, 06:31:54 AMWhat I had dreamed of was a couple tabs near the top of the site for the different instruments. So it would be like: | "C" | "Bb" | "Eb" | "F" | "Bass" | (Minus the """ of course) (And a guitar tab would be nice too! (Pardon the pun!))

We should make a tab at the top called "Lead Sheets" or something that redirects to a page for the transposition, similar to the arranger or console ones we now have. Also,  I Don't think we'll need the "F" tab. Compared to the use of the others, it would be more useful to have an alto clef tab. xD
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Quote from: Jompa on May 15, 2014, 09:03:47 AMYeahyeah I didn't mean it like you said anything wrong, I just wanted to express my hatred towards the most useless and impractical notation method of modern times.
here comes a rant about tabs:
Not only does it require at least 10 times more practicing than normal musical notation, but there is 0 theory to gain from it, and there is rarely any theory used to make it. And since NO ONE includes chords, rests or duration of notes, but instead just tries to press as many numbers as possible in as little space as possible, it's impossible sight read, impossible to follow, and you'll literally have to listen to a recording of the song just to play it more than it would for someone who have instead chosen to focus on normal notation to arrange the whole song in sheet music. There is a reason 99% percent of guitar players suck, and can't read music. It's because tabs. When actually playing the guitar in musical context tabs won't get you anywhere. The most extreme cases that piss me off the most is when they write out the full chord parts in tabs. I don't get why anyone would ever waste their time on that.
In some cases when I see someone using/writing guitar tabs I feel insulted that we share the same hobby.
God, I hate tabs.
Well said!
I totally agree.

ANOTHER EDIT: As Jompa pointed out, I don't think we should incorporate tabs. They would deviate from what we do here on NSM. Sheet music is what we do.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 15, 2014, 10:04:22 AMWe should make a tab at the top called "Lead Sheets" or something that redirects to a page for the transposition, similar to the arranger or console ones we now have. Also,  I Don't think we'll need the "F" tab. Compared to the use of the others, it would be more useful to have an alto clef tab. xD
Sounds good, sounds good.

Quote from: Jompa on May 15, 2014, 09:03:47 AM*Jompa's Big TAB Rant*
Couldn't have said it better myself.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Sebastian

Forgive the Necro.....

I've talked to a few people about this and they think we should give this some thought again. I was just reviewing this topic and I think it's a great idea. I'm ALL for it and would be very interested in getting this incorporated. I think it would draw in a whole other crowd to NSM and, overall, would strengthen our community. After reviewing the topic, it looks like no one disagrees with this idea.....even Jamaha is willing to give it a shot. I would be willing to put in any work towards this if necessary.
Does anyone have any thoughts? I recommend everyone review the topic before posting to see what was originally discussed.

Zeila

I think it's a good idea! I wouldn't be of much use since I don't know much about chord names/progression, but I'm sure a lot of flute, sax, clarinet, horn, etc. players would benefit from it so that it's easier to sight read/discern parts or for improvisation. I think there are some old sheets on site that have the actual piano part along with chords on top (or maybe it's just faulty memory, I don't have an example of such atm). I think it would work especially well for the jazzier pieces, but I can see it working for other songs too (and it would lead doors to different interpretations)

As far as execution is concerned, would there just be a tab that links to an identical site (in design), but the series/other tabs are different? I know quite a few of people mentioned it in the thread, but I just wanted to clarify. I think that would be better than to just cluster all of it together

JDMEK5

I agree that this would be beneficial for users. And as Zeila said, yeah I think we would need a separate place to put all these. The game pages are convoluted enough with "Two Pianos" and "Duet" all over the place.

My big question is this: Say someone (for now we'll call this person "Arranger Y") takes a sheet already arranged for piano by Arranger X. Arranger Y doesn't bother starting from scratch, but rather just removes all staves that don't have the melody, slightly fixes up the melody so it's clear, adds some chords and calls it done. Who gets the credit? It seems unfair for Arranger Y to put his/her name on it despite doing basically none of the work.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Olimar12345

^that's one of the problems we came to with simplified arrangements. I'd say that they should all be done from scratch to avoid this issue.

Tbh, no one really cares about the transcriber for lead sheets. We could still put "transcribed by ______" if we want to keep track of who does what though.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Quote from: JDMEK5 on March 09, 2016, 09:42:57 AMMy big question is this: Say someone (for now we'll call this person "Arranger Y") takes a sheet already arranged for piano by Arranger X. Arranger Y doesn't bother starting from scratch, but rather just removes all staves that don't have the melody, slightly fixes up the melody so it's clear, adds some chords and calls it done. Who gets the credit? It seems unfair for Arranger Y to put his/her name on it despite doing basically none of the work.
Indeed. That is one of the biggest problems. I can see some people doing exactly that: Taking already arranged sheets, copy/pasted the melody, and putting it as their own.
Basically this sums it up in the best way:
Quote from: Olimar12345 on March 09, 2016, 10:07:31 AMI'd say that they should all be done from scratch to avoid this issue.

If we go ahead with this, another option that we should add is the option to arrange a sheet for a specific instrument. For example, my instrument, cello. Surely the sheets would be different if arranged for a specific instrument and the arranger could add in what's easier to play on the cello, for example, bowings, clefs, etc.

Olimar12345

Lead sheets aren't meant for specific instruments, only specific transpositions. That is literally the purpose of a lead sheet: something that many different instrumentalists can understand and use.  Google search a fake book to get ideas of what they are and how they work.

Sebastian

I know exactly what lead sheets are. I'm just saying that maybe we could add the option to arrange for a specific instrument. No big deal if no one wants to do that.Only adding lead sheets would be great.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Olimar12345 on March 09, 2016, 10:07:31 AM^that's one of the problems we came to with simplified arrangements. I'd say that they should all be done from scratch to avoid this issue.
Trouble is, there's no real way to enforce that. Someone may very well change articulations or something just to fake out the mods.

Quote from: Sebastian on March 09, 2016, 06:55:44 PMI'm just saying that maybe we could add the option to arrange for a specific instrument.
I think that would take way more webspace than it's worth. And hosting a site ain't free.

My Arrangements

Bespinben

Detective Piplup will know if you used reference material. Everytime.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Sebastian

Quote from: JDMEK5 on March 09, 2016, 07:19:26 PMI think that would take way more webspace than it's worth. And hosting a site ain't free.
I assumed it'd be hosted here.

Quote from: Bespinben on March 09, 2016, 07:21:19 PMDetective Piplup will know if you used reference material. Everytime.
👍