Main Menu

POKÉMON SUPER MYSTERY DUNGEON

Started by Latios212, May 21, 2015, 06:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-NiGhT

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

mikey

So in my second playthrough I actually had enough money to buy all the lapras passes as soon as they were available o.O
Is hoopa, like, even a pokemon or what is he cause I don't get why he exists or what his purpose is
unmotivated

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

mastersuperfan

Am I the only one who's getting a lot of Mario & Luigi RPG and Professor Layton vibes from this game? The former especially in the menu, and the latter especially

Chapter 8
when you go through Ancient Barrow, trying to figure out some deep, creepy ghost mystery, and you have this majestic but spooky music playing.
[close]
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: mastersuperfan on November 27, 2015, 05:42:56 AMAm I the only one who's getting a lot of Mario & Luigi RPG and Professor Layton vibes from this game? The former especially in the menu, and the latter especially

Chapter 8
when you go through Ancient Barrow, trying to figure out some deep, creepy ghost mystery, and you have this majestic but spooky music playing.
[close]

Chapter 8 (minor spoilers at most)
I'm reminded a lot of Mario & Luigi RPG simply in how much this game makes me laugh -- though I think the writing and gameplay style overall is much stronger in that other series. And yes, the Ancient Barrow music is very Laytonesque. :) some of the chapter plotlines, including Chapter 8 / 9, remind me of the smaller mysteries that the Layton games have you solve throughout (such as the mini-mysteries in Chapter 4 of Azran Legacy, Black Raven in Last Specter, or Tom in Diabolical Box).
[close]
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SlowPokemon

Chapter 14
I had to take a break when I hit Chapter 14, since I've been in the car for hours and my 3DS is going to die soon (curse the New Nintendo 3DS battery). Very fun atmosphere so far, but there's something that's absolutely blowing me away: for the first time in any Pokémon game that I can ever remember, I'm getting anxious for the point when the story is over and I can enter sandbox mode. I've certainly never felt a drive for the post-game of a Pokémon game, especially not a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game. But the day-to-day missions and the deal with completing the Connection Orb and so forth is just so much fun. I'm definitely going to go for all 720 in the post-game. In the meantime I'm listening through the Jukebox in the meantime through headphones until my 3DS really does die. Such a lovely soundtrack. I can't believe that I agree with Spike Chunsoft's boasts of this game being the "ultimate Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game"--while I thought the title was stupid when I heard it, it's honestly very fitting. Well done, Spike Chunsoft. I can't wait to play the rest of the game.
[close]
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

Quote from: SlowPokemon on November 27, 2015, 08:23:31 AM
Chapter 14
I had to take a break when I hit Chapter 14, since I've been in the car for hours and my 3DS is going to die soon (curse the New Nintendo 3DS battery). Very fun atmosphere so far, but there's something that's absolutely blowing me away: for the first time in any Pokémon game that I can ever remember, I'm getting anxious for the point when the story is over and I can enter sandbox mode. I've certainly never felt a drive for the post-game of a Pokémon game, especially not a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game. But the day-to-day missions and the deal with completing the Connection Orb and so forth is just so much fun. I'm definitely going to go for all 720 in the post-game. In the meantime I'm listening through the Jukebox in the meantime through headphones until my 3DS really does die. Such a lovely soundtrack. I can't believe that I agree with Spike Chunsoft's boasts of this game being the "ultimate Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game"--while I thought the title was stupid when I heard it, it's honestly very fitting. Well done, Spike Chunsoft. I can't wait to play the rest of the game.
[close]
isn't the story so gripping though?  Especially when
you find latias and latios?  That's got to be my favorite part of the entire story
[close]
unmotivated

InsigTurtle

I've just gotten to the part where Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon becomes Pokémon Sp00py Mystery Dungeon

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

mastersuperfan

There are so many things taken practically straight out of Explorers.

Can't tell if they're making references or are just too stupid to think of anything else.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Bespinben

Quote from: mastersuperfan on November 27, 2015, 04:17:38 PMThere are so many things taken practically straight out of Explorers.
Can't tell if they're making references or are just too stupid to think of anything else.

Gates to Infinity -- Tries to be unique and gets outcast as "too different from the originals"
Super Mystery Dungeon -- Tries to callback to traditional themes/motifs and gets called "unoriginal"

Logic plz?  ???

(It's ironic really, considering that GtI itself was a spiritual successor of PMD1 in themes/motifs, but few realize this)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Altissimo

You can't please anyone.

Personally I don't think the Explorers callbacks are signs of unoriginality (and i'll fight all who claim different)

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Bespinben on November 27, 2015, 06:00:50 PMGates to Infinity -- Tries to be unique and gets outcast as "too different from the originals"
Super Mystery Dungeon -- Tries to callback to traditional themes/motifs and gets called "unoriginal"

Logic plz?  ???

(It's ironic really, considering that GtI itself was a spiritual successor of PMD1 in themes/motifs, but few realize this)

Well, I never played GTI, but specifically I'm referring to the story.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Altissimo on November 27, 2015, 06:19:31 PMYou can't please anyone.

Personally I don't think the Explorers callbacks are signs of unoriginality (and i'll fight all who claim different)
I share this sentiment.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

Bespinben

Quote from: mastersuperfan on November 27, 2015, 06:39:03 PMWell, I never played GTI, but specifically I'm referring to the story.
Quote from: mastersuperfan on November 22, 2015, 10:15:16 AMI still haven't ever played Red/Blue and GTI.

..and that's where I have difficulty weighing your heavy-handed opinions with any credibility. PSMD is a stand-alone game in that you don't have to know the others to enjoy the adventure (though knowing such does enhance it). However, to make a valid criticism of PSMD's story, plot, themes, and motifs (as you have attempted), one MUST know the history and development of those things in the context of the Mystery Dungeon series as a whole, not just in comparison to the singular microcosmic pinpoint that is PMD2 Explorers.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday