Super Mario 64 Unofficial "Fixing Sheets" Project 👌

Started by Sebastian, July 28, 2015, 03:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 31, 2015, 03:37:11 PMI really like how far you've come in such a short time!
I agree! Great job, man :D

Further feedback on this sheet (actually I think MLF got most of the things I was going to say):
- On page 2 you have dotted half notes, but on page 3 you have half tied to quarter. Is there a reason why? I'd suggest just sticking with one.
- In measure 10 I don't like the look of a small note superimposed on top of a big note. Perhaps just hide the overlapping G (but keep the tie)?
- The placement of rests in measure with small notes is odd in some places. (ex. measure 10, move the eighth rest in second layer up, and quarter rest from first layer down). Try and make the rest of these measures look cleaner as well in regard to rest placement. I don't think any first layer rests should be hidden, as some iterations play first layer only.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 31, 2015, 03:37:11 PMI did a little polishing on your Bob-omb Battlefield! Hope you don't mind.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2n8z6zgjpdo2a7q/Super%20Mario%2064%20-%20Main%20Theme.musx?dl=0

- I made the formatting a little cleaner.
- Throughout the song, the bass was just a tad wrong. I fixed that and took out the second layer from measures 1-17. The second layers weren't needed because you were holding some notes longer they actually were (according to the original).
- I cleaned up some of the note lengths and rests. For example, measure 25, in the right hand, you had quarter - 8th rest - 8th. It looks better as 8th - 8th rest - 8th rest - 8th.
- In measures 22 & 23 (and others like it), I added a some notes which resemble the original more by putting octaves and the harmony note.
- Lastly, I fixed up some accidentals. I can't find Olimar's quote of accidental rules.....let me see if I can find it.....
Other than that stuff, you did a great job! I really like how far you've come in such a short time!

Quote from: Latios212 on August 31, 2015, 05:05:30 PMI agree! Great job, man :D

Further feedback on this sheet (actually I think MLF got most of the things I was going to say):
- On page 2 you have dotted half notes, but on page 3 you have half tied to quarter. Is there a reason why? I'd suggest just sticking with one.
- In measure 10 I don't like the look of a small note superimposed on top of a big note. Perhaps just hide the overlapping G (but keep the tie)?
- The placement of rests in measure with small notes is odd in some places. (ex. measure 10, move the eighth rest in second layer up, and quarter rest from first layer down). Try and make the rest of these measures look cleaner as well in regard to rest placement. I don't think any first layer rests should be hidden, as some iterations play first layer only.

Thanks for the help guys! I couldn't find anything to disagree with, so here are the revised sheets!

[.musx] [.mus]
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

Great! I updated the OP with "Super Mario 64 Main Theme."

Latios212

The musx looks like an old version; did you update with the mus link?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

TheMarioPianist

Hey, MLF. Just noticed something on that Haunted Merry-Go-Round. If you listen to that left hand part again, beat 2 is the only one that is staccato. Beat 3 of each measure should not be staccato (except in measure 31); rather, it should either not have any articulation or have a tenuto. Also, every note on beat 1 should be held for the duration of the measure, so it should probably be written in a separate layer. I've made a new version; here's the list of things I've done. Feel free to pick and choose what you want from it!

Version 1: [.mus]

-Changed each base clef note's articulation in beat 3 from staccato to tenuto in measures 1-31
-Moved first note of each measure of the bass clef into Layer 2 and changed to a dotted half note for 1-31
-Added a dynamic marking
-Changed to 4 measures per system
-Added an F on the chord in measures 7 and 8 (might only be in measure 7, can't tell)
-Fixed notes on beats 2 and 3 of measure 29; should be F's, not G's
-Added some intentional clashing tones throughout (might not have the right enharmonic spellings, check those please?)
-Rhythm changes very slightly in measure 27. If you slow the actual song down to about 50%, you will hear this.
-Added a D to last chord. This note appears here but not here. Don't know whether to keep it or not...

In the version below, I experimented with 8 measure systems. Seems a bit crammed, but is a possibility.

Version 2: [.mus]

Let me know what you think of this!

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: mariolegofan on September 05, 2015, 12:01:16 PMThanks! I'll take a look when I get on my computer

Sorry, I've just been going through a lot of these SM64 songs, and of course, the first 2 I end up noticing fixes on are yours. But, anyway, for Haunted House. You are missing a part where something actually happens in the treble clef. I have the part where it happens loaded up in this YouTube video. Well, uh, have fun transcribing that! The easy part of that song is over...if you need help, let me know! Sorry for kinda knocking all your stuff...

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

Hey thanks!
I actually left that out on purpose because it is unplayable and it is almost impossible to transcribe.

Sebastian

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 05, 2015, 10:08:42 AM-Changed each base clef note's articulation in beat 3 from staccato to tenuto in measures 1-31
Thanks! That actually sounds better.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 05, 2015, 10:08:42 AM-Moved first note of each measure of the bass clef into Layer 2 and changed to a dotted half note for 1-31
Imo, this looks sloppy which is why I put a tenuto on the the first note instead of making it like this.....but I actually think this way works better.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 05, 2015, 10:08:42 AM-Added a dynamic marking
Odd, my dynamic markings keep disappearing.....

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 05, 2015, 10:08:42 AM-Changed to 4 measures per system
5 works fine, imo.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 05, 2015, 10:08:42 AM-Added an F on the chord in measures 7 and 8 (might only be in measure 7, can't tell)
I'm not hearing an F there and even if there was an F, I wouldn't include it. There needs to be a consistent 2 notes on the upbeat throughout. Olimar scolded me about this before :P

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 05, 2015, 10:08:42 AM-Fixed notes on beats 2 and 3 of measure 29; should be F's, not G's
Whoops

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 05, 2015, 10:08:42 AM-Added some intentional clashing tones throughout (might not have the right enharmonic spellings, check those please?)
I don't hear this in the original and it kinda sounds ugly, imo.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 05, 2015, 10:08:42 AM-Rhythm changes very slightly in measure 27. If you slow the actual song down to about 50%, you will hear this.
Hmmmm.....I'll look into this.

Quote from: TheMarioPianist on September 05, 2015, 10:08:42 AM-Added a D to last chord. This note appears here but not here. Don't know whether to keep it or not...
I have the official OST version on my MP3 player and I hear a C, not a D.

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I'll get a revised version up tomorrow :)

TheMarioPianist

Cool, cool. Hey, by chance, could you send me the official OST  MP3 version you have? I wanna make sure I'm critiquing based off the right version

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: mariolegofan on September 05, 2015, 08:17:12 PMI'm not hearing an F there and even if there was an F, I wouldn't include it. There needs to be a consistent 2 notes on the upbeat throughout. Olimar scolded me about this before :P
Well, I'll maintain that this chord contains an F (and therefore is a G7), but if you don't want to put it in, I guess that's fine. Oh yea, and I have no idea what that "consistent 2 notes on the upbeat" thing means. I'll assume it is a credible argument.

Quote from: mariolegofan on September 05, 2015, 08:17:12 PMI don't hear this in the original and it kinda sounds ugly, imo.
To be completely honest, isn't that the kind of feeling you would expect in a tune like this? It's supposed to sound eerie. With that in mind, I'll mention an example here. That G#s in measures 2, 4, and 6 definitely have a tone clashing with it. Of course, they are already clashing with the Gs in the bass clef, but I'm hearing a higher note as well. Right now, my perfect pitch is leaning towards an E rather than a G, but it is a really hard note to get accurately. The melody note just overpowers it.

Quote from: mariolegofan on September 05, 2015, 08:17:12 PMHmmmm.....I'll look into this.
Yea, this is a very minor thing. It would be hard to play this thing at full speed anyway, so I would put this on the bottom of my list of priorities.

Quote from: mariolegofan on September 05, 2015, 08:17:12 PMI have the official OST version on my MP3 player and I hear a C, not a D.
Hmm, your version has the D I'm hearing too. The only C I hear is the one coming from the bass clef. Maybe my mind is creating auditory hallucinations. I don't know. Maybe talking on Skype about these things would be better anyway...

Quote from: mariolegofan on September 05, 2015, 08:17:12 PMHey, thanks for the feedback! I'll get a revised version up tomorrow :)
No problem! Let me know if you have any other comments!

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

Sebastian