News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Quote of the Day

Started by shadowhunter301, April 30, 2016, 10:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowhunter301

Thanks to E. Gadd for this inspiration! You know how E. Gadd does his word of the day? Well, this thread is the Quote of the Day in which I post deep, quotes and feel free to interpret what it means and just discuss! Ready?

04/30/2016

"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true."
- Aristotle

Pianist Da Sootopolis

This'll be fun. Personally I don't care much for Aristotle (or many other Ancient Greek philosophers for that matter) but this topic should be fun.
Btw, that quote is basically saying "Saying that something does not exist when it does, or that something does exist when it doesn't is false, but saying something does exist when it does, and that something doesn't exist when it does not, is true."
Like... no shit. XD
what is shitpost

Dudeman

Aristotle, trumping Captain Obvious since something something B.C.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

shadowhunter301

XD

Should've picked a better quote. Dang it. :/

E. Gadd Industries

Hey, you're building your thread, though! At least this shows people have had awareness on the level of existent and nonexistent since Ancient Greek times!
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

shadowhunter301

Thanks E. Gadd. :)
Do you think once a day is enough or should I do more per day (if it's too obvious like that?)

What's your opinion?

Bloop

Ya know, that theory was actually one of the reasons why long ago everyone thought the earth didn't move around the sun, but vice versa. The quote means "If you perceive something, then that's the truth." We don't see the earth move and we see the sun spinning around the earth, therefore we are the center of the universe.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Which was essentially Aristotle's philosophy in a nutshell; that the greatest level of reality is what we can perceive with our senses. On the other hand, Plato argues that there is a pure idea of everything in existence, and that everything in the world is a variation/mutation of it.
what is shitpost

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: shadowhunter301 on April 30, 2016, 11:10:21 AMThanks E. Gadd. :)
Do you think once a day is enough or should I do more per day (if it's too obvious like that?)

What's your opinion?
Once a day, just to keep from overwhelming the people, thread, and board.

Quote from: Bloop on April 30, 2016, 11:10:43 AMtherefore we are the center of the universe.
You know, technically that's correct.
The center of the universe is everywhere: take the fact that it's expanding. From any given point, it seems as the universe is expanding outward from that point. Make sense?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Bloop

yeah yeah okay the center of the universe is either everywhere or nowhere
Change it to the center of the solar system then

shadowhunter301

So, the sun is at the center of our solar system, yes?

Bloop

Yup, and it's called heliocentrism.
Currently we accept that as truth (because science), but centuries ago people accepted geocentrism (earth is the center of our solar system) as truth.

shadowhunter301

Do you know why they thought the earth was at the center? Was it because their sense of depth and perception was very limited until technology came along?

Dudeman

Google exists for a reason.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

shadowhunter301

I don't like searching up on Google. I just want to hear people's responses about it, on NSM. If that's wrong, I will gladly use Google.