News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 14, 2017, 08:08:02 AMThat's actually correct--Chlorine is often found as a Cl2 two-atom molecule. It is highly reactive and lethal to bacteria, though...
Yes, but not in a solution. It's an ion that will completely dissociate in solutions. Hence why HCl and NaCl both completely dissolve, provided the solution is not already saturated. Oh, and its electronegativity makes it much, much more likely to pair with other molecules than itself, even when it is in it's diatomic form.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 14, 2017, 08:08:02 AMI'm thinking of lifting my (current) second quiz's restriction of "only from series with at least one song on www.ninsheetmusic.org" in my third quiz forward, though your quote is my new mental note to myself to not put in music from obscure games I've played (or at least games with obscure music) such as Bust-a-Move DS, Mushroom Wars, and Candy Crush Saga.
That's a lousy restriction, and you shouldn't use it. I mean, if you did, you could include stuff from idk, Treasure Mathstorm, The Adventure of Zelda, Umineko, or Dragon Quest. These are all valid under your limitation, but are still bad choices because a limited number of people know them. Tailor your choices to what people on NSM know, not what's on the site or what's popular.

edit: oops double post

mikey

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 14, 2017, 08:21:38 AMYes, but not in a solution. It's an ion that will completely dissociate in solutions. Hence why HCl and NaCl both completely dissolve, provided the solution is not already saturated. Oh, and its electronegativity makes it much, much more likely to pair with other molecules than itself, even when it is in it's diatomic form.
so since it's in aqueous form he doesn't need to do the number part?
unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

AP CHEMISTRY PTSD AHHHHHHHHH

More on-topic, starting a week from now I'll start trying to participate.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Maelstrom

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 14, 2017, 08:43:51 AMso since it's in aqueous form he doesn't need to do the number part?
Nope. It's a Cl- ion. Besides, even if you evaporated the water, it'd react with something else instead of becoming a gas.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Dudeman on May 13, 2017, 10:11:25 PMGODDAMMIT I KNEW THIS ONE
I KNEW THIS ONE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

As I suspected; Lat was right.

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 13, 2017, 11:10:24 PMThis was stupid.
It just was. Yet again, someone has one upped me in obscure stuff.

Sorry, Maelstrom; we can't all have Mother 3 in our melody quizzes.

Quote from: Dudeman on May 13, 2017, 10:11:25 PMROCKBOARD DOESN'T COUNT, NOTHING JAPAN-ONLY COUNTS, HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW STUFF THAT WASN'T RELEASED IN THE WEST

Uhhh... the Internet? And fan translations? Just throwing that out there. Also, MOTHER 3

Anyway, Dudeman, you might as well explain some things. You weren't very specific when you made your bet, and you've only got yourself to blame. Of course, I would say Rockboard is awfully obscure (which is why I picked it), and that I'll ignore that. However, right now you should take the time to list all of the Mega Man games from any sub-series or spinoff you're sure you know every song, so that I know which games I can choose from to include a melody in my future quizzes. That means EVERY SONG in each game, got that? Be sure to be as specific as possible. The bet is still on.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Maelstrom

Mother 3 is the exception, not the rule. Besides, we've only had one japan-only song not from an obscure-a-thon. Granted, I did guess it, and we have an arrangement of it on the site. It wasn't purposely chosen to not be guessed, like yours was.

WaluigiTime64

Wily Wars? Fair. Battle and Chase? Eeehh.... Any Mega Man GB title? Fair. ROCKBOARD!?!?! NOT FAIR. I have this massive feeling that not even you have touched that game. If you have actually played RockBoard, and can completely annihilate us in a quiz about it, then you can use it. If one of us put a RockBoard song in our quiz, could you have guessed it? Please consider this next time.

Also before you people call me a hypocrite for using two painfully obscure songs as well, I would like to point out that because of those two songs, my quiz is only counted out of the remaining total (8).
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

mikey

so then wouldn't it have to be balanced as 4NaCl <> 2Na + Cl^2?
unmotivated

Latios212

It was balanced. You don't get any diatomic chlorine (gas) when dissolving salt in water.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 14, 2017, 08:31:25 AMThat's a lousy restriction, and you shouldn't use it. I mean, if you did, you could include stuff from idk, Treasure Mathstorm, The Adventure of Zelda, Umineko, or Dragon Quest. These are all valid under your limitation, but are still bad choices because a limited number of people know them. Tailor your choices to what people on NSM know, not what's on the site or what's popular.

edit: oops double post
You caught me--one of the songs in my current (second) quiz is from an obscure game that isn't from a popular series. With that being said, the song I picked DOES have a transcription on www.ninsheetmusic.org, and as far as I've researched, it was a meme back in the day.

With that being said, IMO, if a song is popular, I should be able to use it regardless of whether I find out that nobody else on NSM actually knows it. (For example, I'd think it's slightly embarrassing that nobody else on NSM would know a song that pulls at least 2 pages of remixes on YouTube results, has at least two remixes in Newgrounds, and appears in at least one "Video Games Live" concert.)

I do think it's cruel to use songs that only appear in games that are 2 or fewer months old, though (including from immensely popular series such as Pokemon).

Latios212

You're thinking too hard. There should not be strict standards of what songs to select when writing. Like Maelstrom said, just write with your audience in mind and allow then to have fun.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mikey

it's pretty simple-make most of the quiz easy and make one or two of them difficult, then the rest middle of the road
unmotivated

InsigTurtle

Personally, I'd say that you can do whatever you want with your quiz, even if it's pretty much impossible for everyone. But if you do so, then you're going to have some frustration directed at you. It's your choice to either make a quiz that people will enjoy or a quiz people will detest, and of course, there will be consequences for both.

And the reaction was just showing how sodium chloride disassociates into its constituent ions, Na+ and Cl- when dissolved in water. The net charge on both sides of the equation is 0, and there's a Na and Cl on both sides of the equation, so it's balanced.

mikey

*frantically tries to recall information from a class he didn't pay attention to 5 years ago*
unmotivated