News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

It wasn't a Pokémon/mega man quiz, that's for sure.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Maelstrom

Just don't be me. I've never had someone win with a higher score than 40% on mine. Ever.

InsigTurtle

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 04, 2017, 05:58:25 PMMan, this is going to be close...

I was tempted to reply "Yeah, close as in two people have 3/20" but I decided not to because that isn't a nice thing to say. But damn, I should have actually said it.

Olimar12345

But real talk: how you guys felt during my quiz is how I feel during most quizzes .-.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 05, 2017, 10:21:45 AMI guess counter melodies are elusive.

Here's one problem. This is called Guess-that-Melody quiz for a reason.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 05, 2017, 10:21:45 AM
and the winner is...
A tie between Yug guy and MSF, each with 3 points. I guess Yug guy technically wins though, since he submitted his answers first.
[close]
Oh wow, looks like I actually won.
...but at what cost?

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 05, 2017, 10:21:45 AM
No.7
No. 7 Sekhmet from Jet Force Gemini

Time Stamp: 0:00

I knew nobody would get this, so I made it worth 5 points. Your loss because this game and its music is an underrated rareware N64 gem.

Guessed by: nobody.
[close]
I've actually played this game and I really don't like it. Music's pretty good tho

mikey

I'm actually fine with that, I haven't progressed to that point in majoras mask yet, but it did sound like an ocarina song to me
unmotivated

InsigTurtle

Just to clear up some confusion: Yup, I'm accepting answers for both parts of the quiz.
Some hints:
There are melodies from MOTHER 3 and Okami in here. Also I'm not exactly sure how many Mario and Zelda melodies there are. One of them in particular makes me feel tingly inside.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t5ihiyv60w8zxfa/AADcLzf9fNPrugO42vipC4bTa?dl=0

Latios212

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 05, 2017, 10:21:45 AMYour loss because this game and its music is an underrated rareware N64 gem.
This is exactly what not to do when writing for any knowledge-based game. It's no fun when players have no idea what something is; when the answers are revealed it's just like "well, I never would have gotten that, okay", and that's a thing to avoid.
Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 05, 2017, 02:30:17 PMhow you guys felt during my quiz is how I feel during most quizzes .-.

A good melody isn't necessarily quiz-worthy; it's important to write with your audience in mind - not to cater to what music they know, but to stick within the general realm of recognizability for most players. Although I concede that is a difficult thing to do well.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Dekkadeci

#5 in the first part reminds me of how some music can be really difficult to sight-read but be much easier to play after you've listened to it ad nauseam. (Apparently, those Halberd level themes also match that description, at least according to this web page from someone who's arranged them.)

mikey

unmotivated

Olimar12345

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 05, 2017, 03:48:48 PMHere's one problem. This is called Guess-that-Melody quiz for a reason.

A counter melody isn't any less of a melody. The definition of a melody is simply an arrangement of notes in a set order. That specific counter melody was a defining feature of that track, too.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 05, 2017, 04:13:34 PMI've actually played this game and I really don't like it. Music's pretty good tho

The controls haven't aged well, I'll admit that. Still though, it gud.

@latios okay it'll be more Pokémon and mega man next time then.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mikey

I think olimars point is that the overuse of Pokemon, paper Mario, fire emblem, etc. is just the same for him as pikmin or super princess peach is for us

Like from my point of view anything from ace attorney is unheard of and nobody should ever be able to guess it
unmotivated

Dekkadeci

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 05, 2017, 09:19:03 PMLike from my point of view anything from ace attorney is unheard of and nobody should ever be able to guess it
As far as I'm concerned, the only Ace Attorney songs I expect other people to know are "Pursuit ~ Cornered" and "Turnabout Sisters" (this is based on the number of remixes I've seen of both songs compared to other Ace Attorney songs). ...It's probably not coincidence that I've already used one and someone else has already used the other. With that being said, I do expect others on this forum to know those two songs.

It's like Guile's theme being the most famous song in Street Fighter, then me having no clue what Ryu's or Chun Li's theme is. ...Oh, I also have no clue what Guile's theme sounds like, either. I just know it's famous and Ryu's theme isn't quite.