[GBA] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - "Teehee Valley" (Replacement) by Rain Shinotsu

Started by Zeta, September 08, 2018, 05:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Teehee Valley
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Rain Shinotsu

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rain_Shinotsu

To check the arrangement, if need be.
I'm pretty sure that I have everything except tempo marking (Quarter = 96 BPM). I couldn't put that in with Finale NotePad; could someone with a paid version please add it for me? (Update: Thanks, Rwars!)
Also, how do I change my arranger name? It should be Rain Shinotsu, but I have no idea where to find that field. (Update: Thanks, Latios!)
My music: SoundCloud; MuseScore

May I just sit here and meow until I finish writing thi

Rwars

Here's a copy of it with the tempo marking! https://puu.sh/Bs4xu/17dc2eea11.mus

Also, I don't think we ever really add "repeat ad nauseam" for our sheets. At least, I don't, and I don't think anyone I knows does.

Rain_Shinotsu

Thanks for adding the tempo marking! Also, I like the file name; can I keep it? (Update: I guess not. All right.)

I figured that not a lot of if any people use "repeat ad nauseam" but I also figured that it better distinguishes a repeating piece from a piece that has a definitive end (like pretty much all of the Rhythm Heaven soundtrack). Nevertheless, I'll take it out.

Update 1: I updated the files so that they include the tempo marker and remove the "repeat ad nauseam"
Update 2: I fixed the file name and some of the rhythm denotations as recommended by Latios in the message following this.

Latios212

Welcome to NinSheetMusic! :D I've updated your arranger name.

Hmm... the file names really should correspond to the sheet so if you could change that back it would be nice :P

Sheet looks pretty good, but there are a few things I'd like to mention as I'm passing by.
- Try and avoid dotted rests (like in m. 2)
- I think the rhythm in m. 13 would be more clearly written as a quarter tied to a dotted quarter, rather than a half tied to an eighth
- We should consider writing the LH part present in m. 2 and other places to avoid tying over the bottom note like that (no concrete suggestions from me at the moment, kinda tired)

Great looking replacement in the works here; thanks for that!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Rain_Shinotsu

Thanks for looking it over, and thanks for updating my arranger name.
I updated some of the details in accordance with your recommendations. However, to avoid tying the bottom note over, I'll need another (layer? voice? In Musescore, my native program, it's called a voice). If I could have done it, I would have, but I don't know how to do that efficiently in Finale NotePad*. Advice or volunteering would be appreciated if it's possible in Finale products.

*I know how to add layers in NotePad, but if I add a second-layer eighth note midway through, it leaves behind plenty of second-layer rests. If I delete them, it moves the eighth note to a position earlier in the measure.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Rwars on September 08, 2018, 11:53:05 PMHere's a copy of it with the tempo marking! https://puu.sh/Bs4xu/17dc2eea11.mus

Also, I don't think we ever really add "repeat ad nauseam" for our sheets. At least, I don't, and I don't think anyone I knows does.

Well, there is this

https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/3575
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Rwars on September 10, 2018, 12:36:58 AMI mean, isn't that sheet years old anyhow?

Not really; it's sheet #3575, but the marking is referring to the tone of the song.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Rain_Shinotsu

I think that what was being talked about was the "repeat ad infinitum" at the end.

Rain_Shinotsu

Libera

Some comments from me:

-Places like the last half of bar 2 you drop the upper part of the left even though it's still there.  Every time this occurs the right hand is actually free and I don't think it'd be too hard to play it with the right hand and hence you'd never have to leave it out.
-Really nitpicky but in bars 10-11 I feel like the minim should be a dotted minim.
-No bar numbers?  I forget whether they are a requirement on sheets but I feel like they should be there.
-I know you corrected it for Latios, but when I saw that rhythm in bar 13 I was confused for a second.  I think it'd be clearer as a minim tied to a quaver as you had before...  I'd see if anyone else has any opinions on this particular section.
-Sounds like beat 1 of bar 20 is rolled to me.

This was a nice and easy one to check so thanks for that I guess.  Good job!

Edit: I am a moron.  Expect some actual criticism in a few minutes.

Libera

Ok I accidentally was reviewing the old sheet rather than yours when I first looked at this because I just clicked on the first link I saw like an idiot.  Anyway, quite a bit of my criticism actually still applies strangely enough.

• I actually prefer the chords the octave up, although I realise that would make them harder to play.  If you're worried about not being able to include the bass as well, every time they're both playing the right hand is free to play the chords so it should be ok in that regard.  Edit: If you still want to keep them together for ease of play, I'd put the whole thing up an octave so it sounds less muddy.
  • I still feel like bar 13 would look better as minim tied to quaver, but I'll see what other's have to say.
  • I don't see the purpose of having the whole section pasted again from bar 21.  It'd be better to repeat back to bar 4.
  • Bar 20 should be rolled.

(Also I found the list formatting...)

Rain_Shinotsu

I made some edits according to Libera's recommendations. Here are my addresses to the points given:

1. I moved the left-hand part an octave up. I had them down in the first place because of the D4 notes in the melody always coinciding with a D4 in the chords had they been up. This only occurs four times, though, so it isn't a big issue, I guess.
2. I'm not sure. If it's decided so, I'll change it back.
3. I did that because I found it better to repeat where the phrases begin and end (essentially where the piece loops) but I guess I'm one of the only people who do that. I have a version with it being longer saved to my computer, but in case shortening it like this is ideal, I used this one in the submission update. I'm not very fond of where it cuts off, though...
4. It should be, and in my main arrangement, I had it like that, but I haven't found that feature in Finale NotePad (someone with paid Finale, please help?)

edited for wording

Libera