News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Code_Name_Geek's Replacements

Started by Code_Name_Geek, May 31, 2020, 06:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Libera on August 25, 2020, 12:51:58 AMMaybe bass movement wasn't the phrase I should have used.  I just meant that in 12 and 14 you wrote in the guitar going C-G semiquavers at the end in the left hand but missed it out in bar 16.  Although you're right that there should also be an E there (like in 14) but once again I hear it on beat 3.5.
Ohhh I see what you mean. Fixed!

Quote from: Libera on August 25, 2020, 12:51:58 AMBeat 3.5.
Ok I do hear the E now, but I'm hearing it on beat 3.75 instead of 3.5. I wrote out the bassline separately for bar 16 as an example of the notes/rhythm I'm hearing (ignore the articulations). I hear that E in bars 12 and 14 as well, with the same rhythm.

Libera

Yes sorry I got confused.  Beat 3.75 is correct.  Are you sure about it in bar 12 though?  I just hear the bass going to a C rather than an E like it does in bars 14 and 16.

Also, the third system on page 2 was weirdly spaced when I opened it up, but that's easy enough for me to fix if it's just a finale import problem.  I can just fix it when I fix the articulations.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Libera on August 31, 2020, 06:49:55 AMAre you sure about it in bar 12 though?  I just hear the bass going to a C rather than an E like it does in bars 14 and 16.
Yeah I think you're right.

Quote from: Libera on August 31, 2020, 06:49:55 AMAlso, the third system on page 2 was weirdly spaced when I opened it up, but that's easy enough for me to fix if it's just a finale import problem.  I can just fix it when I fix the articulations.
Oops that was on my end too, fixed.

Thanks for the patience with this, hopefully all the kinks have been ironed out now!

Libera

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on September 04, 2020, 12:13:41 PMThanks for the patience with this, hopefully all the kinks have been ironed out now!

No worries, accepted!

Maelstrom

Gustafa's Yurt
-Why not include the steel string guitar (F#) on m2 b3.5 LH? It shows up other places throughout the piece (A on b3 of m4) and I think it'd be a welcome addition.
-m17-end - not sure why the steel string guitar is always staccato? Almost all the notes are played to ring out and connect, not to be disconnected from each other.
-m20 - Again, the staccato. Not sure what the RH is doing on b2. Why not have a 2nd layer chord here hit on beat 1 instead? Or combine the chorus and the guitar to have a chord in a single layer?
-1st layer in m21 RH would be better suited as a D below the G to highlight the guitar here, imo.
-m22 RH - Chord here is a Em. I'd recommend raising the C# to a D here for the 4th.
-This is what I'd recommend for m24-26:

- I'd recommend seperating the steel string guitar from the plucked strings more in the last 6 measures. They're really hard to differentiate right now, especially with the staccatos for the guitar

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Maelstrom on November 18, 2020, 01:03:57 PM-Why not include the steel string guitar (F#) on m2 b3.5 LH? It shows up other places throughout the piece (A on b3 of m4) and I think it'd be a welcome addition.
Went through again and added it where I thought it fit, let me know if I missed anything.

Quote from: Maelstrom on November 18, 2020, 01:03:57 PM-m17-end - not sure why the steel string guitar is always staccato? Almost all the notes are played to ring out and connect, not to be disconnected from each other.
Hm I think my intention with the staccatos was to emulate the sharp attack of the guitar, but sustained makes more sense. I redid the articulations for this section accordingly.

Quote from: Maelstrom on November 18, 2020, 01:03:57 PM-m20 - Again, the staccato. Not sure what the RH is doing on b2. Why not have a 2nd layer chord here hit on beat 1 instead? Or combine the chorus and the guitar to have a chord in a single layer?
I'm hearing the soprano voice coming in on beat 2 here while the bass in on beat 1, but maybe I'm hearing that wrong? I'll change it if so.

Quote from: Maelstrom on November 18, 2020, 01:03:57 PM-1st layer in m21 RH would be better suited as a D below the G to highlight the guitar here, imo.
-m22 RH - Chord here is a Em. I'd recommend raising the C# to a D here for the 4th.
-This is what I'd recommend for m24-26:

- I'd recommend seperating the steel string guitar from the plucked strings more in the last 6 measures. They're really hard to differentiate right now, especially with the staccatos for the guitar
Fixed all this as well, and ended up putting the plucked strings in a different octave in those last few bars to separate the parts better.

Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to mention that I wasn't happy with the dynamics I had earlier so I changed those as well.

Maelstrom

Summer
All LH As in the baseline that look like m1 are actually Gs
Likewise, Bns in m21-end are Ds.
m23 and likewise look like:

A 8vb marking wouldn't be out of place for m21-end
Move the systems closer together and down on page 2 so they're not colliding with the measure number.
RH:
m1-2/19-20 - b2.75-b3 G should be an F
m10:

m14/18 - b2.25 - G should be an F
m24/28/32/36 would sound better an octave higher
m36 b4.5 - C, not a G.

That should be it

Maelstrom

Gustafa's Yurt
RH:
-m7 - There's a 5th harmony (B) below the F. Also in m13
-m18 - why isn't this chord the same structure as m17? It sounds like it's exactly the same voices playing in the same harmonies, just slightly higher
-m20 - I think the G comes in on b1, it just seems like it gets slightly louder on b2, which I don't think is important to notate. The chord also sounds really empty without the G there at the beginning.
LH:
-m12 - I'd recommend adding in the guitar's E on b2.5.
-m14 - The guitar's F#-A progression on b2-3 doesn't make sense when the F# isn't present, so I'd recommend adding it in some way.
-m15-16 - The b3.5-b1 progression of F#-G would be even better if you included an octave harmony to include the guitar's part here too. It also plays a G-A on b2-3 in m16 (an octave lower than the notes you have) but the playability might be changing so feel free to leave them out if you want.
-m22b1 is identical to m21b1
-m23 - I'd suggest adding an A harmony to b1 here.
-m27 looks like this:

I'd recommend making b2 a rest or something and leaving the rest as I just wrote it.
-m32 - add an F# on the top of the final chord?

That looks like it's about it.

Code_Name_Geek

Whew, made all the suggested edits on both of those. The ones I was unsure about are below:

Quote from: Maelstrom on December 10, 2020, 03:18:03 PMSummer
m1-2/19-20 - b2.75-b3 G should be an F
Did you mean b3.75-b4 here? If so, that's been fixed as well.

Quote from: Maelstrom on December 15, 2020, 12:20:18 PMGustafa's Yurt
-m18 - why isn't this chord the same structure as m17? It sounds like it's exactly the same voices playing in the same harmonies, just slightly higher
I wasn't exactly sure what you meant here, but I added an A in the upper octave. If anything else should be changed just let me know.

Thanks for all the help, I'm not the best at picking out exact harmonies.

Maelstrom

Yep, they both look great now!

Both are approved

Latios212

Both look good, so accepted as well! That's a wrap on the Harvest Moon section ;D
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle