The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hero of Trains

I'm just trying to help with something I have some experience in.  :)
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Bubbles

I know someone here is a techie so help me pleasee

I think I might have a Trojan or some other spyware on my computer. Sometimes when I'll be on normal sites like here and YouTube (on chrome), suddenly a new window will pop up in internet explorer instead. IE is my registered default browser for my computer, but I only ever use chrome (but sometimes I'll have them both open at once). My internet also runs super slow at times and it's hard to get anything done.

Please say this is a simple "uninstall this" and not "buy a program or wipe your hard drive"

FierceDeity

I mean, I'm not a techie but:

What's your OS and/or security program (if you have one)? Windows 8, for example, first step would be to run a (full) scan in windows defender, and follow instructions if it finds anything. Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

Bubbles

I've got windows 7 with the default Microsoft Security Essentials lol. I've tried running a full scan a bunch of times but it takes too long and never finishes--I've run it up to 6 hours before. I've tried all kinds of other scans but it never finds anything.

Earlier it did find something and I told it to remove it, but it didn't seem to make any difference on my current problem. Idk if that was a whole separate thing or if it hid itself from the removal process

mikey

in my experience your problem might be chrome

just my two cents
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Bubbles on May 10, 2015, 07:29:37 PMI know someone here is a techie so help me pleasee

I think I might have a Trojan or some other spyware on my computer. Sometimes when I'll be on normal sites like here and YouTube (on chrome), suddenly a new window will pop up in internet explorer instead. IE is my registered default browser for my computer, but I only ever use chrome (but sometimes I'll have them both open at once). My internet also runs super slow at times and it's hard to get anything done.

Please say this is a simple "uninstall this" and not "buy a program or wipe your hard drive"
I don't know if this is the problem, but if you have one browser as the default, but use another, certain types of links will open in the default browser. If the windows are popping up completely randomly (without you clicking on anything), then I would be concerned.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Bubbles

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on May 10, 2015, 10:09:58 PMIf the windows are popping up completely randomly (without you clicking on anything), then I would be concerned.
Yeah, that's it. Which is why I am concerned :p

KefkaticFanatic

Does it open anything in particular, or just the homepage?  Weird browser behavior can often mean some sort of adware but that's a very vague problem description.  You can always just run a malwarebytes (install specifically that program if you don't have it) scan to start off.

me irl
[close]

Waddle Bro

Maybe check your chrome extensions and delete anything that looks unfamiliar? I've installed some by accident in the past but that fixed my problems.

ZeldaFan

I've had a problem with extensions in chrome just installing themselves, without me doing anything... Then I'll get annoying pop-ups and ads out of nowhere. Just delete the extension. If it keeps coming back you may have to go uninstall it yourself.

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

KefkaticFanatic

If it keeps coming back you probably have something nasty installed that will take some extra work to get rid of.  Possible, just a pain in the ass.  There are generally some good tutorials once you figure out what it is.

me irl
[close]

Bubbles

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on May 10, 2015, 10:25:37 PMDoes it open anything in particular, or just the homepage?  Weird browser behavior can often mean some sort of adware but that's a very vague problem description.  You can always just run a malwarebytes (install specifically that program if you don't have it) scan to start off.
It opens up to a generic ad, one with lots of "CLICK HERE"'s and "Free Download!"'s, you get the idea. I had the terrible luck on another computer of installing more viruses when trying to download a protection program...so I'm trying to limit my downloads right now lol

I don't have any unusual extensions on Chrome (unless adblock causes ads??), and I don't think it's specifically something wrong with Chrome since it's affecting IE too. Thanks for the help, but I'm probably going to keep trying to get a goddamn full scan to complete before I end up giving this to some tech company to fix

Zunawe

Be careful about going to a company to fix a bug or virus. Ask for a free scan if they offer it, but if they find something, do not pay for them to fix it without getting the opinions of people you trust. They'll charge you so much more than necessary. Many times, they just run a billion antivirus programs on it and it solves itself. I worked for a place that did this, and it was ridiculous how easy it was to fix the problems.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Bloop

my thighs are against any kind of shaving right now