News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

I know a girl who played 999 almost exclusively in her psychology class lmao
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MasterProX

Third period seems to always be the most fun now. Last year, I had Geometry for third, and the teacher didn't care what you did in class as long as you didn't bother anyone else. (He especially didn't mind if you had several hundred extra credit points too...)

This year, my AP World teacher says you can do whatever you want as long as all your work is done. (I just say I finished everything even when it's not done because it's going to be done. Eventually.)

Ruto

Whaaat you can get away with that? ._.

I remember 4 hour labs in college where we had to listen or be busy looking at animal specimens the whole time. People didn't even take out their phones. If you finished early, you'd just get more work (this was in high school).

This is just saying but if the professor knew you weren't paying attention in class they could decide not to curve your grade. And you couldn't complain if your test average was in the 50s or 60s anyway...

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

mikey

Yeah in high school everyone's on their phones anyway.
In auditorium classes at college everyone's on their laptops.  (except me I'm on my ds.)
unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

It's a somewhat sustainable practice while you're still in ez first or second year courses, but once you get into the meat of your major you kind of have to pay attention (unless you're in some joke major ::))

But duno, seems like you're wasting your time if you go to class just to play DS.  People on phones are at least half paying attention, but playing a game is much less so.  And like Ruto said, that's an easy way to guarantee 0% grading leniency :P

me irl
[close]

spitllama

A friend of mine at U of Redlands knows a guy majoring in "Smiling."  No joke.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

DrP

Quote from: spitllama on December 13, 2013, 12:05:59 PMU of Redlands
That's a joke in of itself..

Except it's true

I know a few people from my high school who are in that program.

KefkaticFanatic

That sounds like a one-way ticket to being a barista or homeless

me irl
[close]

mikey

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on December 13, 2013, 11:44:43 AMIt's a somewhat sustainable practice while you're still in ez first or second year courses, but once you get into the meat of your major you kind of have to pay attention (unless you're in some joke major ::))

But duno, seems like you're wasting your time if you go to class just to play DS.  People on phones are at least half paying attention, but playing a game is much less so.  And like Ruto said, that's an easy way to guarantee 0% grading leniency :P

If it's an RPG like pokemon you don't really need to pay attention to the game itself.
unmotivated

Waddle Bro

Quote from: spitllama on December 13, 2013, 12:05:59 PMA friend of mine at U of Redlands knows a guy majoring in "Smiling."  No joke.
What is this I don't even

FierceDeity

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 13, 2013, 01:12:03 PMIf it's an RPG like pokemon you don't really need to pay attention to the game itself.

If you're spending the class period just grinding, I suppose, haha

Mashi

I think it depends on the teacher too, however.  From my experience, teachers don't mind if you don't pay much attention in class so long as you have your work done and perform reasonably well in the class, in addition to giving them due respect.  In high school, I studied Physics in Statistics, did Calculus homework in English, made American History notes in Calculus, and a whole bunch of stuff!  And my teachers didn't mind much; when they wanted me to pay attention, they told me and I conceded.  It's the same way for my classes in college; my Biology professor allows me to use my laptop in class, my Chemistry professor lets me play games on it, my Calculus professor lets me do homework on it, etc.

Of course, that's not to say that you should do such things in class.  If you can truly benefit from paying attention, then by all means, do so (I have to concede that I do take notes in Biology!).  If you don't feel that you're learning from the teacher, you should at least study the subject while in class if you decide not to pay attention (eg. my Calculus professor permits me to study Calculus III).  As long as you do your work and don't cause any interruptions, you should be fine.

MaestroUGC

I spent every waking moment in high school writing music. My teachers couldn't really complain because I did my work all the same and to a high level at that.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Ruto

I showed up late for like 90% of my philosophy classes and only talked in class discussion once. But I get A's on my papers so at least the professor doesn't point out my flaws in class.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.