The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceDeity

The WiiU I can understand as having a broader appeal, because, like waddle and FSM said, you can watch youtube on your TV, from the comfort of your couch/whatever. The 3DS feature I can imagine is aimed at younger kids who (hopefully) don't have smartphones, and either don't have their own PC or aren't in a place where they can use it.

That being said, that intent doesn't quite make up for the shitty problems you guys have pointed out about them, haha. Personally, I can't even get my WIFI to work most of the time on my 2DS, because it isn't WEP, so I have some different issues with that :P

SlowPokemon

Uhm.... The 3DS family supports WPA connection...
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FierceDeity

Sorry, what I meant by that was that my school uses a very non-standard method of connecting to our WIFI that doesn't seem to be compatible with the 3DS. Essentially, the WIFI requires both a username and password (unique to each person), and I've yet to find a way in which this can work with the 3DS, as it doesn't function as a singular WEP key.

Dude

Are you saying that it doesn't have the lock symbol next to the SSID and you can't connect to the internet?

Did you try opening the Internet Browser and going to like google or something and have it redirect you to a login page?

KefkaticFanatic

Nah some authentication requires both username and password rather than just a simple WPA or WEP key, and the archaic networking of the 3DS can't support that.  I can think of eduroam as an example, where when connecting you are asked for both of those items.  Any device following the standard, up to date wireless specs will be able to prompt you to enter those, but I am guessing the 3DS just doesn't know how to handle it and says ERROR.

And I guess if people don't have a laptop to plug into the TV and for some reason are using a Wii U as a home theater device rather than something more versatile like a PS3 or just desktop PC it might make sense, but anybody serious about home theater setups wouldn't only have a Wii U :P

me irl
[close]

Dude

KefkaticFanatic

I mean you'll only ever see in enterprise scenarios like a college campus or office building, but I think it's fairly common in larger entities of those types.

me irl
[close]

Zunawe

The 3DS only ever prompts for a security code for authentication. Many buildings such as schools where people have a universal username and password use the same for internet access. Basically, it's impossible to log into those with a 3DS because it misinterprets the security or can't comprehend how it works and you can't enter a username.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

SlowPokemon

No, you can, you just need to do it via the Internet browser. It's really simple.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Zunawe

Some routers do support something like that, but it's dependent on the router alone. I know that mine has a guest signal that does that, but my school does not.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: SlowPokemon on December 16, 2013, 06:04:28 PMNo, you can, you just need to do it via the Internet browser. It's really simple.
You haven't encountered it probably.  This isn't one of the services you authenticate via a webpage, but rather one you send the credentials in the same fashion as you would a WPA or WEP key.

EDIT: Ah, here's the exact spec: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1X

Essentially it's an enterprise Wifi solution that for whatever reason Nintendo decided not to support.  Perhaps the same logic that led them to neglect WPA support on the DS... ::)

me irl
[close]

MasterProX

On my AP Environmental Science final tomorrow, it's 75 questions, but the total score will be out of 60 because my teacher is always "generous" like that.  (The tests are always super hard.)

To get an A on my report card, I need 72/75 (or 72/60) questions correct.  Considering I got 29/50 on the last test, plus the 10/15 bonus questions = 39/50... I can't do this.  My friends who already took the final said it's hard.

And the pictures he took of it are all blurry. Even then, the questions I could read are still too hard to figure out now.

Ruto

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

MasterProX

I'm not cheating, I'm just... taking the test in advance.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!