News:

change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceDeity

Quote from: Waddle Bro on January 13, 2014, 04:45:05 AMTbh, I could very well see myself using this technique as a teacher. I wouldn't have to read that long essays. A picture is worth a thousand words

If you assign something out of apathy, odds are it isn't a good assignment. And those "thousand words", if you took the time to look for them, would take a lot more time to find than just reading an essay. Not to mention, those words will be different for anybody looking at a piece of artwork, making objective grading based on the ideas presented very difficult.

Quote from: Waddle Bro on January 13, 2014, 04:45:05 AMI don't think their teacher would lower their score if the drawing quality is bad, since that'd be silly. I feel like the picture is meant to show the teacher that you've understood the book.

I'm not talking about the drawing quality, I'm just talking about the amount of effort put into it, which is more visible than you would think. And yeah, of course it's meant to show that you understood the book. I'm just saying it is far from the best medium to demonstrate that you did. My point is not that visual art is an invalid medium; I'm saying that it's an abstract one. Even if there is a specific interpretation of the book that the teacher is looking for (which is an uncommon and incorrect way to go about it), artwork meant to represent this could easily be interpreted as meaning something else; the same goes for the reverse situation. So, most teachers, when handling this assignment, would just look for a glimmer of relevance to the book, and then base the rest off of how much time it looks like you spent on the assignment. Even if you're asked to write an explanation of how the artwork relates to the book, not only would that involve less insights than would writing an essay, but it is also much easier to write bullshit based on your own art than for a book.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 13, 2014, 04:26:33 AMit's really kiddie to draw a picture to represent understanding of a book (especially for an honors class).

Also, this.

Ruto

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 13, 2014, 07:02:38 PMEven if you're asked to write an explanation of how the artwork relates to the book, not only would that involve less insights than would writing an essay, but it is also much easier to write bullshit based on your own art than for a book.

I think this all the time. Even for photography. If they're just doing something artistic, I'd expect to see some skill from the artist...blurry photos, bad lighting, bad proportions, bad use of medium and obvious bullshitting...they're everywhere -.-

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Yugi

http://www.llforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5369

doesn't it suck when you're having a debate with someone and they keep ignoring your points

BlackDragonSlayer

Not a single stoichiometry problem on the chemistry final*. NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM. I was prepared for it! I was expecting it! I was excited for it! But nope! Ideal gas law ideal gas law ideal gas law. ALL of the last few questions (maybe six to eight of them): Ideal gas law ideal gas law ideal gas law!!!!

Rule of thumb: Don't trust the test prep/study guides too much!

*There was one or two mole conversions, but not like the more complex "convert given quantity to wanted quantity, using moles as an intermediate" which I was so proud of being prepared for.

...also, about 47% of the answers on the test were B (assuming I got them right, of course). :P

EDIT: And don't get me started about that history test! Now, I normally love history, but that test was PAIN. They emphasized ALL the little details that you wouldn't even bother memorizing (there were quite a few trivial questions that I don't even remember reading about, like EXACT QUOTES from The Republic by Plato, which I went over for maybe one page in the early chapters... and yet, they didn't ask about other aspects of Plato's beliefs about government, and the same goes for Aristotle).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SlowPokemon on February 09, 2013, 07:37:01 AMThe Internet is a lot less fun when you start to see human nature everywhere. :/

guys i found the post that marked the beginning of what i have become

I'm gonna try to be more tolerant.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dude

We were worried for a while there. Hope you're back for good. :)

EDIT: So this one person I'm subscribed to keeps liking disturbing/dirty videos and I don't know whether or not to unsubscribe or not.

What do?

spitllama

Ummmm, well...

I was subscribed to you Dude. You liked a video at one point and the thumbnail for it was an anime chick with 102ZZZ cup size. I unsubscribed because I didn't want to have to explain it to people when I wanted to go to youtube in my dorm.

So yah unsubscribing is an option xD. Srry dude.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

mikey

As a general rule of thumb I don't subscribe to anything (except for missingno expert but that's because he deserves it) because it really messes up the "recommended for you" options.  I'd say listen to spitllama and unsubscribe.
unmotivated

Waddle Bro

Quote from: spitllama on January 14, 2014, 08:46:45 PMYou liked a video at one point and the thumbnail for it was an anime chick with 102ZZZ cup size.
and you unsubscribed

SuperFireKirby

Dorm peeps: Yohoho, wut b dat?

You: Um, boobz.

Dorm peeps: Noice.

SITUATION EXPLAINED!!!

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Dude

Why would I like boobs?

I don't even like girls.

Edit: OH THAT. Ok then, I see.

Hiding liked videos forever

spitllama

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 15, 2014, 09:33:26 AMDorm peeps: Yohoho, wut b dat?

You: Um, boobz.

Dorm peeps: Noice.

SITUATION EXPLAINED!!!

Ikr. But prude college campus is prude.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Jamaha

Oh look, second week of the new semester and I'm already failing to get anything done due to stress.

Why am I so awful at handling this.

fingerz

I'm getting all four of my wisdom teeth out tomorrow morning... REALLY not looking forward to spending a week with chipmunk cheeks and having frozen pea packs wrapped around my face. Oh well... If I live, I'll let you all know how it goes. XDDD
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Sebastian