News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruto

Yup, and you scratched up enough money for moving expenses somehow...anyway, what Mashi said was a great idea!

Anyway, are you able to cook at home? It would save you a lot of money if you did...even if you have a microwave you can at least live off ramen for a few days. Not that it's a good idea, but at least it would give you enough calories to live.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

DrP

Quote from: Ruto on January 20, 2014, 07:25:15 PMThey didn't pay you yet? :( Since you work for one of those big firms, isn't there a snack fridge at work you can raid? My sister said they have free soda and milk at her workplace. Do they pay for your lunch too?
Hahaha the uncommon cold. I guess my problem right now is that my internet is too slow.
I don't get paid until the 31st because I started after the deadline to submit an I-9 to be paid on the 15th, so I get 2 pay-periods then.. So, I'll literally have about $11,000 in 2 weeks. And I filed my tax return in CA last week, so I have a refund coming from that soon (You can't file federal until the 31st -- and that's my big refund -- like $1800)

They don't give us food (unless we work 10 hours of client billable hours, which I won't have because I am not sure if my big tech project will be given to someone else because the client needs me to be there for a year, but my firm wants me on a bunch of clients to help me grow professionally). If we're out at clients, they give us food. I DO happen to have some leftovers from before I left for LA that I froze and I do have some food (pasta, some soup) -- I don't own a can opener or a microwave (though I should get the $50 Crate&Barrel giftcard I got with my well-being points from work soon to get that can opener). I just can't buy food that is worth eating (meat or something with protein -- as it makes me less hungry than carbs because it takes 3x the time to digest proteins -- especially since I am going to a diet where I am eliminating non-whole/organic grains and cutting back on sugar and RAISING my protein consumption).

Plus, my mom sent a package with the money we get back from my costco membership, so I might get that tomorrow so I can go to the store and buy bread. The only thing, though, that I have a plentiful supply of is alcohol... and lots of it.

Only 11 more days until pay day.

Ruto

Can openers are like <$10 (nothing fancy, you just need to open the cans for a few weeks) and people throw out microwaves/sell them for really cheap in garage sales, listings, etc.

Although it's surprising how your firm doesn't feed you...not even $10 for lunch? :/ They're paying you dirt pay by their standards, and they can't even spare a few more dollars...

The only food I can think of with any protein is either canned spaghetti, Ikea meatballs, canned fish...hey, maybe you should go to a Chinatown and see what you can pick up from there! I think if you're also struggling for ways to feed yourself, you should just take whatever you can get for a few weeks before worrying about stuff like whole grains. Cutting off sugar is fine though.

SuperFireKirby

Most cost effective way to get your daily protein. HAM. Seriously, honey baked ham is, like, 2.50 a pound at most supermarkets. Get a 10-15 pound ham, bake that shit, you've got 2 weeks worth of lunch right there.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

DrP

Quote from: Ruto on January 20, 2014, 10:19:30 PMCan openers are like <$10 (nothing fancy, you just need to open the cans for a few weeks) and people throw out microwaves/sell them for really cheap in garage sales, listings, etc.

Although it's surprising how your firm doesn't feed you...not even $10 for lunch? :/ They're paying you dirt pay by their standards, and they can't even spare a few more dollars...

The only food I can think of with any protein is either canned spaghetti, Ikea meatballs, canned fish...hey, maybe you should go to a Chinatown and see what you can pick up from there! I think if you're also struggling for ways to feed yourself, you should just take whatever you can get for a few weeks before worrying about stuff like whole grains. Cutting off sugar is fine though.
I don't have money to buy a can opener (until I get that gift card)... And I can live without a microwave for a while. I'll ask my grandparents to get one for me for my birthday.

My firm doesn't pay for much. None of them pay for anything really, unless I am in a meeting or something. They paid for my trip and the nice restaurants in LA.

The worst part, I live 6 blocks from Japantown and it has GREAT food, just I need money to get sushi and bento boxes. The closest Chinatown is in San Francisco about 50 miles away.

I have food to last me 2 weeks, it just sucks I can't buy ANYTHING (more of the reason of the rant). Or if I get this fancy client, I won't have to buy food for 6 months!! Which means the only food I'll be buying is PB&J fixins, Cheese and stuff to make desserts... and a bunch of nuts to snack on.

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 20, 2014, 10:24:03 PMMost cost effective way to get your daily protein. HAM. Seriously, honey baked ham is, like, 2.50 a pound at most supermarkets. Get a 10-15 pound ham, bake that shit, you've got 2 weeks worth of lunch right there.
That is literally the one thing I can't eat... I had a bad experience with ham when I was little, so now I can barely stomach it. Once I get enough money, I can get a bunch of chicken at Costco and make Chicken Tikka Masala or chicken in a crock pot with vegetables!

FierceDeity

So, my flight back to college got cancelled due to snowstorms, and now I have about a 75% chance of missing the same placement test that I missed last semester. And, from my previous experience with this, I know I'm not going to be allowed to make it up, because the people in charge of it are a bunch of obstinate asshats. Needle to say, I'm a bit frustrated.

Roz~

Every time I plan a trip one of my teachers decide they want to change my final exam's date and it messes up with my plans. It happened twice this school year. This is getting annoying.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Ruto

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 20, 2014, 11:32:48 PMSo, my flight back to college got cancelled due to snowstorms, and now I have about a 75% chance of missing the same placement test that I missed last semester. And, from my previous experience with this, I know I'm not going to be allowed to make it up, because the people in charge of it are a bunch of obstinate asshats. Needle to say, I'm a bit frustrated.

The city's probably going to be closed tomorrow lol. Meaning none of the professors will be around and same with the office workers.

FierceDeity

The test is on Thursday, and they're not likely to be closed that day :/ as of right now, I got another flight tentatively scheduled for tomorrow morning, so hopefully it'll work out. If it doesn't, I honestly wouldn't put it past them to still hold it Thursday with no makeups; last time, it was at the same time as a "mandatory" freshman event, and I still got the "no alternate dates for any reason" treatment...

SuperFireKirby

So I was about to post in the Made My Day thread about how I met this amazing girl in my Bio class and that we were into all the same stuff and were gonna go see some concert this Friday. But then I found out she's engaged.

It's like the universe isn't just content with me being lonely. Instead it waves these amazing opportunities for companionship in my face and then stomps them into a bloody pulp.

Onto the next one, I suppose.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

DrP

^same thing with me.

Awesome girl at work. When asked what is her favorite video game, she replies "depends on the console". She's 11 years older than me and married.

All well. Too old for me and married. I'm not too worried about a relationship. Though it did dawn upon me that you can have a much better life with 2 incomes and a lower tax bracket (Married filing jointly gives the lowest tax in the middle class range)... not to mention a nicer house and nicer furniture.

Onto the next one, I suppose.

KefkaticFanatic

*and no kids

VERY important additional distinction :P

me irl
[close]

MasterProX

So two pieces we printed out for orchestra were Suppé's "Dichter und Bauer" (Poet and Peasant Overture) and Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain". We played through each today and the Mussorgsky was by far the most badass.

But he said that since we're already playing Beethoven's "Coriolan Overture" and a concerto that hasn't been revealed yet, we could only play one, either the SuppĂ© or the Mussorgsky. Not both.  He made us vote on it, and as I expected, the Mussorgsky won.

But no, it's apparently too hard for us and so we're not doing it. Despite the fact that the first violin section this year is bombastic. And when I was ranting to my friends about it, at least all the cool / good people agreed with me when I said this is bullshit.

DrP

Just got back from working at a client today. Woo!!! 11 hours working on a tax provision

A tax provision is an audit of the "income tax expense" line of the income statement that our tax teams at my firm work in collaboration with the audit team. We also help calculate FIN 48 and ASC 740 numbers for Deferred Tax Assets (DTAs) and Deferred Tax Liabilities (DTLs), like NOL carryforwards, M&E expenses and other funtastic Book/Tax differences found on Sch. M-1, M-3 of Form 1120, 1065 or 1120S.

Did the above make absolutely no sense... I still have no clue what I am doing.

At least I got a free lunch and dinner out of staying late.

mikey

I understood the word funtastic.  It's usually reserved for extreme sarcasm.
unmotivated