The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Jamaha

Now I'm not a native English speaker so I don't know how accurate my view is on the subject but...

I feel it comes down to the difference between "female" and "a female", i.e. is it being used as an adjective or a noun.

"She's a female scientist." <- Adjective, sounds good.
"She's a female." <- Noun, no! Use "a girl" or "a woman" instead.

Every time I hear someone refer to "females" I think of Krogans from Mass Effect.

Ruto

Quote from: Jamaha on January 22, 2015, 12:30:10 AMNow I'm not a native English speaker so I don't know how accurate my view is on the subject but...

I feel it comes down to the difference between "female" and "a female", i.e. is it being used as an adjective or a noun.

"She's a female scientist." <- Adjective, sounds good.
"She's a female." <- Noun, no! Use "a girl" or "a woman" instead.

Every time I hear someone refer to "females" I think of Krogans from Mass Effect.

A+++ I didn't want to confuse someone by writing "female professor" in my last post. Even though making that mistake in a room full of feminists would be pretty funny. I was thinking about drawing a picture but then there's no way anyone could misunderstand your example.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: FireArrow on January 21, 2015, 10:27:35 PMYou just kinda proved her right... so.... >_>
-_-

Please, try reading the quotes again, and seeing what doesn't mesh.

Quote from: Nebbles on January 21, 2015, 08:15:24 PMGender is more so what a person feels.
Quote from: Definition of "Gender"the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
Wrong terminology.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

unmotivated

Clanker37

That's what she meant. The "State of being male or female" refers to whether you feel like you are a man or a woman, in your brain. Not whether you've got the downstairs equipment or not.
 ie:
Quote from: Dictionary.comWoman: a wife. the nature, characteristics, or feelings often attributed to women; womanliness. a sweetheart or paramour; mistress. a female employee or representative:

Female: a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman. an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces egg cells.
Someone who is a woman is someone who identifies as a woman.Obvious statement is obvious They adhere to the social expectations and implications of being a woman and act femininely. It is not determined by their genitalia. You are mentally a woman

Being female, means you have a vagina and two X chromosomes. You are physically a female.

Those who have a penis, but who identifies as a woman (or vice versa)are transgender (AKA the 'T' in LGBT and QUILTBAG). They often experience gender dysphoria where they are unhappy with not only the sex they are, but the social implications of said sex. They can undergo hormone treatment and surgery to change their bodies.

Dude

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Clanker37 on January 22, 2015, 01:58:19 AMThat's what she meant. The "State of being male or female" refers to whether you feel like you are a man or a woman, in your brain. Not whether you've got the downstairs equipment or not.
-_-'

I had a giant response all typed up, but all it will do is incite another needless debate.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dude

BlackDragonSlayer

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

K-NiGhT

BDS, the definition you posted was nearly exactly what Nebbles said. There's nothing to argue about.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

ZeldaFan

Quote from: Dude on January 22, 2015, 02:19:11 AMOk QUILTBAG is a new one for me.
Yeah, what's QUILTBAG? I've never heard that one.
(I'd google it myself but I'm at work and I'm not sure what kind of results that would bring up)

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

MaestroUGC

QUILTBAG is just another acronym for the whole LGBT movement.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Clanker37

Queer/Questioning
Unidentified
Intersex
Lesbian
Transgender/Transexual
Bisexual
Asexual
Gay/Genderqueer

I like to use QUILTBAG so as not to leave anyone out. That is, until they discover another one...