News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbles

It's not as important when people think the A stands for ally and they're butting in a space they don't belong in, per say. They don't face hate or ignorance towards their sexuality. They don't experience erasure. They aren't killed, thrown out of their homes, or mocked for being straight. That's not how it works.

As someone who is asexual, I'm tired of people going "but the A stands for ally!!!!!!". It doesn't. I matter too.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

DrP

Quote from: Nebbles on January 22, 2015, 04:38:24 PMAs someone who is asexual, I'm tired of people going "but the A stands for ally!!!!!!". It doesn't. I matter too.
Of course you matter. That's why there are 2 As. I'm not saying replace asexual with ally, but to add it to the list. See below.

Quote from: From WikipediaThe initialism LGBTTQQIAAP (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, Ally, Panssexual) has also resulted, although such initialisms are sometimes criticized for being confusing and leaving some people out, as well as issues of placement of the letters within the new title. However, adding the term "allies" to the acronym has sparked controversy, with some seeing the inclusion of "ally" as opposed to "asexual" a form of asexual erasure. There is also the acronym QUILTBAG (Queer and Questioning, Intersex, Lesbian, Transgender and Transsexual and Two-Spirit, Bisexual, Asexual and Ally, and Gay and Genderqueer).

The reason why ally has been included is because there were people, before this outpouring of support and acceptance for the QUILTBAG community, that supported, helped and fought alongside the community to get to where it is today. and even before I embraced my sexual orientation, I was an ally as well.

Nebbles

Fair enough, but at the same time, they aren't the ones fighting for their rights.

FierceDeity

I don't really care either way whether I'm included in an acronym, but if you're going to call it a community then it makes sense for allies to be a part of it. Because, ideally, they should be a part of it. That's kind of the goal.

mikey

I was going to ask about asexuality but I probably shouldn't bother...
unmotivated

Nebbles

It's a lack of sexual attraction to people. That's it.

FireArrow

Quote from: Nebbles on January 22, 2015, 06:24:35 PMFair enough, but at the same time, they aren't the ones fighting for their rights.

The mother that gets tormented and called a failure of a parent because her daughter is lesbian?
The straight guy who gets bullied for having a gay best friend?
etc.

No, they don't face as much discrimination as the people they're allies with, but I can use the same reasoning and say that bis and asexuals should be removed from the list because they don't have it as bad as I do. Likewise, a transgender person can say the same thing to me. It's not a matter of who suffers the most, it's a group of people fighting against a social inequality.

It's like saying guys can't be feminists or that a white person can't fight to end racism. It crosses the line from "fighting for a cause" to "we're special and you're not."
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Nebbles

...you know, that's a pretty valid point. I haven't heard that argument before.

Shadoninja

[Redacted]
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Nebbles

Sebastian

I guess I always thought asexuality was to be loving yourself.
Kinda like self sex marriage......yes that's a thing... :P

Nebbles

Ruto

Quote from: mariolegofan on January 22, 2015, 09:00:14 PMI guess I always thought asexuality was to be loving yourself.
Kinda like self sex marriage......yes that's a thing... :P

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Mashi

all of you are wrong, asexuals are people who can reproduce offspring without mating

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!