The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zunawe

He said that you should appreciate yourself whether you have a partner or not. Not that relationships are a bad thing.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Waddle Bro

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on December 29, 2015, 05:06:22 PMYou aren't going to meet 7.4 billion people in your lifetime, not counting how many of those are of your preferred gender (assuming you have a preference), or are of an age that you could actually have a relationship, assuming you're okay with moving across the world as well). It's true though that standards do change. But you can't expect a perfect person; even when people find their soul mate, I doubt anyone could honestly call the one they love the most perfect. What I was saying is again, not to lower your standards or what have you, but to make sure you're not so busy seeing if they fit the mold that you don't actually give people a chance.
That said, I'm only (a couple weeks away from) 15. So my view on this is likely to change... but this is what makes the most sense to me.Truth, on both of those statements XD
It's not that you'd meet 7.4 bil people, it's that you have the potential to meet the one out of those 7.4 bil people. Like you seem to understand, the preferences change(gender for example, like you mentioned). That also includes when you're in a relationship, your preferences can also adapt to the person you're with. Because there's no one else who can define who is perfect to you but you yourself. That's why no can say to you if you should raise or lower your expectations.
I completely get where you're coming from, but people shouldn't worry about someone fitting your mold in the first place! Like, chill, relax, if you meet someone you meet someone! If you don't, that's completely fine too.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 29, 2015, 05:25:47 PMno no, false, very false
he just said that marriage always leads to unhappiness
nobody ever said marriage would be easy but that doesn't mean you should be alone for the rest of your life (unless you wanted to)
except no one said anything like this, nice way to twist words to mean what you want them to mean. no one even said anything about marriage. ._.'

What I meant was when a relationship is based on something else than happiness. Finding a partner for the sake of having a partner, lying about feeling love so that it would look like you have it isn't right for anyone, even your partner.
Ninja'd, yeah pretty much exactly what I meant.

FireArrow

Quote from: SlowPokemon on December 29, 2015, 01:26:45 PM@FireArrow you're wrong and no one should lower their standards. That's how unhappy relationships start.

I agree if you're talking about personality, same-mindedness, etc. You should never settle for someone who you don't like as a person.

However, standards based upon sexual attraction, race, bodily traits, etc. are superficial and shallow. Obviously you shouldn't date someone you find repulsive or unattractive, but not dating someone because their physique isn't that of your dream man/woman is only gonna end up with you being forever alone (or maybe you'll get really lucky I guess? Ya never know.) Plus we'll all get old and ugly in 20 years anyways.

Quote from: Waddle Bro on December 29, 2015, 04:20:41 PMThat's just your pessimistic attitude first of all, there's about 7.4 billion people on this planet so one of them could very well be the one, and it's also worth pointing out how standards are never set in stone, they could very well change if you meet a certain person.

The idea of "the one" is extremely flawed.
There's gonna be a hell of a lot half-perfect people for you, but there isn't gonna be a one true love because our fantasy significant other is usually inhumanly desirable and ya know, humans aren't perfect. Even if there was a perfect person out there, your 7.4 billion figure works against you as chances are you ain't gonna meet them.

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Ruto

I'm not really making my comment based on appearance, but there is a funny story about that lmao. People do show their better side online usually. Except for manio maybe. Lol is he such a pushover when you try talking.

Quote from: FireArrow on December 29, 2015, 11:14:51 PMThere's gonna be a hell of a lot half-perfect people for you, but there isn't gonna be a one true love because our fantasy significant other is usually inhumanly desirable and ya know, humans aren't perfect. Even if there was a perfect person out there, your 7.4 billion figure works against you as chances are you ain't gonna meet them.

I don't know why people think there is this one other person for them. It's just what you want at the moment, you could want someone else later. I remember in high school...my sister had a crush on this guitarist guy that was in my class. I found him really boring and not at all good looking. Now she's with someone completely different. Knowing what you want just narrows down the number of people, it doesn't make you picky. (Unless you only want to date people with red hair or something...that's being picky)

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

mikey

unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dude

MaestroUGC

On the matter of "standards" when seeking a potential mate:

Everybody has two levels of ideals: The first is "The utmost ideal", that great fantasy of "the one", your "perfect 10/10". In your mind you know exactly what this person would look like superficially, and you'll likely have a good idea as to what other characteristics they will have. This is the person you imagine when ever you think about "the person I'll marry", "the future parent of my children". This may be a real person you're pining for, or just an imagined ideal that you measure everyone you meet against. And yes, you do measure everyone you know against this ideal because the basest human prerogative to find a mate and propagate. It's one of the first things that flashes to your mind whenever you meet someone knew, and that moment they'll either be dismissed immediately for whatever reasons. (Not the appropriate gender I'm looking for/too old/not a better alternative to someone I'm already with/etc.) If they pass that first litmus test then you will begin to mull over whether or not it will be worthwhile to pursue them in a romantic/sexual sense.

Which brings us to the second ideal: "Who I can reasonably imagine being with". This is a matter of self-worth and self-confidence. In you mind you know what your "10" is, but the reality of whatever expectations you have or know invariably lower your standards to a "7" or someone you're comfortable "settling with". Sure, you can see the lovely ingénue in the distance, but you just can't compel yourself to pursue that potential so you settle for Mary Beth whom you know is a much safer bet against potential dejection. In most cases this ends up being the person you'll end up with, not because of anyone's fault or an inherent unfairness of the universe but just because of human nature. We're designed to go for the safest of two options.

Now this gap between the two will obviously vary between people, and in fact in some people their self-confidence is already so high for whatever reason or aren't afraid of rejection that they just hold out for their 10; but as time wears on standards will invariably slip, depending on the person. This isn't meant to be a discouragement from dating, just a precaution of having the wrong mindset. In most cases "the one" simply does not exist, or if they do the statistical odds of meeting them are nearly impossible for most people. Of course it's all moot if you don't put in the effort to bother dating. And of course how you meet someone is irrelevant to the act of actually meeting them; so online dating, having a friend set you up, or just a chance encounter at a coffee shop is all fair game when it comes to dating. Just be wary of your own self-worth; you're only as good a person and potential mate as you see fit. Keep in mind that the person behind the counter you're flirting with is going through the exact same process above at the same time.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Dude

why don't you write a book about it since you have like 10 wives or whatever

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 30, 2015, 01:27:36 PMPDS has a thing for Chopins
What are Chopins?
EDIT: I take it back; I see now. You were referring to the obsolete Scottish unit of measurement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopin_(unit)

I must say, it'd be neat to have a unit of measurement with the composer's name on it. That said, my appreciation that just spawned now is hardly a fetish.
what is shitpost

Altissimo

Quote from: Dude on December 30, 2015, 11:56:26 AMwhy don't you write a book about it since you have like 10 wives or whatever

Quote from: Olimar12345Don't copy it from Wikipedia though!

im dying yall

mikey

unmotivated

Altissimo