The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

so i'm set to go interview with grad schools in a couple weeks and since i applied for grad school assistantships i'm gonna have to audition for those, doing a lot of listening-based theory

i was never *great* at the harmonic stuff... i'm doing some practicing on teoria.com

and would you believe i can't even hear fucking intervals properly

i cannot for the life of me distinguish between m6 and M6 and for whatever fucking reason i keep confusing them with p4 and p5

i hate 6ths

i Hate 6ths

god i hate 6ths

edit: oh yeah and my guitar teacher assigned me to figure out the chords to beach boys' "god only knows" by ear but i ended up cheating on that because i couldn't tell what was going on sometimes bc i'm a miserable failure of a music theorist :^) (i'm in a bad place rn can u tell)

Hero of Trains

That's rough. I know that I'm horrible at hearing intervals as well. It's definitely something that can be helped with practice, though, and with the effort you're putting in I'm sure you'll improve eventually. I'm sure you'll get into a good grad school because your sheets are great, and you obviously know what you're talking about, too. ;D
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

Olimar12345

Metroid title theme for minor 6ths and minor 7ths.

And I don't mean to rag on you or anything, but aren't you about to graduate? Because ouch...
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Altissimo

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 19, 2016, 04:49:00 AMMetroid title theme for minor 6ths and minor 7ths.

And I don't mean to rag on you or anything, but aren't you about to graduate? Because ouch...

with a degree in just music where ear training was part of the requirements but not focused on super heavily, and i'm better at chords than intervals anyway

Olimar12345

If you're better at identifying chords, then use that skill to relate chords to intervals. For example, a perfect fifth outlines a major triad in any key.

Quote from: Altissimo on January 19, 2016, 05:05:55 AMear training was part of the requirements but not focused on super heavily

Also this confuses me.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

If you haven't already, I recommend going to those practice websites and practicing recognizing intervals for ten minutes a day. I'm not the best person to ask since I've never had any trouble with ear training stuff, but a LOT of the other undergrads I know do and the ones who practice do see a lot of improvement.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Altissimo

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 19, 2016, 05:32:07 AMAlso this confuses me.

ok let's put it this way, the theory + sightsinging/ear training professor was a wonderful lady and we all learned but she didn't have a theory background so she didn't really stress the importance of sightsinging/ear training the way the current professor (whom i haven't had a class with bc i finished my theory requirements before he showed up) does, as a result we had a very very lax time in ear training

also yea i even know like how perfect 5ths are part of triads etc but without another note i still can't tell the difference between it and a perfect 4th lmao

mikey

m3: Greensleeves
M3: Harry Potter theme thing/Oh When The Saints Go Marching In
P4: O Christmas Tree
P5: Twinkle Twinkle
M6: My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean
P8: Somewhere Over The Rainbow

m6 doesn't match to P5/M6
m7/M7: M7 sounds dissonant as an interval, m7 does not
unmotivated

Altissimo

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 19, 2016, 08:40:31 AMm3: Greensleeves
M3: Harry Potter theme thing/Oh When The Saints Go Marching In
P4: O Christmas Tree
P5: Twinkle Twinkle
M6: My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean
P8: Somewhere Over The Rainbow

m6 doesn't match to P5/M6
m7/M7: M7 sounds dissonant as an interval, m7 does not

i even know all of this but it's difficult to think in a sequential way like this when you're hearing notes played simultaneously which is what i have to be able to identify :(

mikey

unmotivated

Altissimo

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Zeila

Good luck Altissimo! Depending on how much time you have to figure out the intervals, a quick fix could be to try and identify each individual note and figure out the interval based on stuff like twinkle twinkle little star. Eventually I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out just by listening to the dyad

Nebbles

Well, I was having a great day until my mom told me my sister wants to separate from her husband for no apparent good reason, so that's fun.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Dude

Oronoco

Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.