The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbles

They haven't had any kids, but there's no good reason for them to divorce... I guess as far as we know. It just sucks, because I really love my brother-in-law and I don't want him gone for my sister's irrational reasoning.

And we're fairly close, yeah.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Dude

Ok. I was worried for a sec.

...n-not that I'm not like... worried about you.

Altissimo

Quote from: Dude on January 19, 2016, 03:35:24 PMOk. I was worried for a sec.

...n-not that I'm not like... worried about you.

b-baka

Yug_Guy

Dude

I just didn't want to sound like I didn't care!!

Altissimo

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

AwesomeYears

My 3ds' control stick thingy is freakin' stoofed. When I press down, 70% of the time, it keeps pressing down, but the stick is still in the middle and it does it. And when I press up, it hardly responds. That means that I can't really perform Up or Down Smash Attacks on SSB43DS, it'll mostly do tilts or makes me crouch forever. Can't even find a solution on the Internet.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 22, 2016, 05:02:02 AMNintendo customer support?
^ Pretty sure this on the internet.
Also, buying a new 3DS is on the internet, and that's a solution. So clearly there isA solution on the internet, you just don't like it ;D
what is shitpost

AwesomeYears

Really wanted a solution that I could DIY but I'll ask customer support. And I am not buying a new 3DS, the problem isn't really console breaking.

Bubbles

So I figured after 12+ years of playing an instrument I should prob learn a little bit of the music theory behind it, so I took the only legit class offered to me. Putting aside that the teacher is new to the job, arrogant, and easily distracted by his own amazing guitar skills, I'm beginning to feel that theory is somewhat...irrelevant? I'm not trying to be one of those music elitists who say things like "music is all expression you shouldn't try and tie it down to theory and rules blah blah" because I do see the necessity to a certain degree. From playing piano for so long I've naturally picked up on a lot of what is being taught, but since I didn't know the "official" terms for these things I thought of them more of "oh these notes and chords go together nicely" instead of "this is a dominant followed by a major tonic creating a perfect authentic cadence". (side note I HATE cadences--why does every note progression have to be boxed in with a specific name like phrygian or whatever, why can't they just be notes)

I see theory as a set definition of a part of musical structure, which should aim to eventually be subconsciously referred to by a performer or composer. For example, its taught that major scales follow the step pattern of WWHWWWH. The person learning it isn't going to repeat that in their heads for the rest of their lives every time they play a scale, its supposed to become somewhat second nature. So since I already have that second nature feeling towards a lot of what is being taught and am being asked to memorize the original structures, I feel like I'm almost reverse learning maybe?

tl;dr!!! Basically what I'm wondering is if there's a point where the usefulness of theory is overshadowed by the specifics and definitions that seem almost made up to explain why a piece of music flows. I know theory is really important in all types of music, but is there a point where it just goes too far just to be all encompassing?

...or this could all be redirected disapproval for my teacher's personality lol what a narcissist

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bubbles

That's exactly what my uncle said lmaoo why is that a thing