News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on March 19, 2016, 10:24:35 AMHere are some choice words from the New Testament, as well:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. - 1st Corinthians, 14:34-35
"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to [rule]; but *they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.  And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to [rule] in the church."
*to be submissive

Yes, speak is mistranslated in these verses.  But if you read the entire chapter without taking things out of context it talks about how nobody's supposed to talk:
"If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.  But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." 27+28
"I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying."

Yeah that verse sounds really sexist, but I'm guessing it's meant to be taken in the context that only the person preaching was the one allowed to talk (which would have been a guy)

I like murder mysteries as much as the next guy
unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

>:( I could teach my chemistry class better than the teacher could.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Altissimo

mikey

unmotivated

Waddle Bro

Quote from: braixen1264 on March 19, 2016, 10:44:30 AMWould you guys mind taking this to a private chat? People may start to kill each other otherwise.
Braixen fren with all due respect, there's a rational conversation(at least rational arguments from one side) going on where people are talking in a civil fashion. Also I don't get this "private chat argument" when so many people are here voicing their opinions on the subject. Why even make a private chat when a large portion of the entire community is already here talking about it? Not to mention, getting all the people on a chat together is much more inconvenient and asking people to take it to private chat works more as a method of killing the conversation, which I'm sure you can agree on.

Just because it's a controversial topic, it doesn't mean it should be shut down, we're not an authoritarian country! Ending conversations entirely instead of doing something to them doesn't help directing people's opinions or NSM in general to a better direction in any way, at most it either keeps things as they are or makes things worse in long term. It removes the responsibility of acting in a civil fashion from the flamebaiters and rule-breakers in conversations, and in a way it also removes responsibility(or creates false responsibility in the sense of false duty) from you moderators.
Not to be disrespectful at all, I also completely understand not wanting to punish anyone, but there are better ways to do that than preventing a conversation altogether!! Rather than punishing or preventing discussion, we should all focus on helping each other see each other's viewpoints. They are like lenses that we use to perceive the world, we should focus on exchanging those lenses and help people see what you see and why.

Please don't be or accuse someone for being ignorant of homosexuality or religion and the viewpoints they have, instead try to help each other see the situation from your own viewpoint and why that is. Focus on the good and what you want to see more.
on the "is homosexuality a sin" discussion
There's the obvious scientific arguments like how homosexuality appears in so many species but I'll try to avoid arguments like that, since you can't infer how things should be from how they are(no ought from is).
It shouldn't be too complicated, just please don't read between lines. Like I said it's about viewpoints clashing in the form of cultures. You have no right to demand everyone sees things the way you do and respects your view for the sake of respecting unless you don't have a rational basis. It is simply a fact that the bible justifies itself through argument from authority and begging the question, which means the attempt to make a logical argument is based on a circular chain. That's why classifying homosexuality as a sin is a matter of faith, but faith doesn't give you a right to treat people outside your viewpoint according to your religion. Homosexuality can be classified as a sin by religions, but there's a difference between faith and knowledge, and if your faith isn't based on knowledge it can be wrong(throwback to when church forced Galilei to admit earth was flat).
If you think homosexuality is a sin, go ahead, you have freedom to think and believe whatever you want, it's your choice and your responsibility. Same goes for people who think homosexuality is perfectly ok. But that freedom doesn't extend outside your own mind, meaning you don't have the right to treat people as "sinful" or like you're morally above them in any way. Ironically most religions completely agree with this, f.e. the universal golden rule. Despite that, people still think it's almost like their duty to force their faith(that isn't based on knowledge!!) on others. Being gay is a choice one has made, and it's no one else's responsibility. If they are wrong, then they are wrong but you have no right to force your beliefs on people or treat people like they are doing something wrong, since your beliefs aren't based on knowledge.
Massively pointing out tho how even claiming gay people are sinful out loud achieves nothing positive in the world, it just states how you think you're morally above gay people, without any knowledge to back you up.

tl;dr if you believe being gay is wrong, it's fine if you keep it to yourself. you should still try to understand why they don't agree with your beliefs! how you feel about somoene shouldn't affect how you're supposed to treat someone.
[close]
tried really hard trying to make this an example of a respectful post!! hopefully my intentions came across to you others as well

mikey

except you're still not getting the point, none of you are apparently
unmotivated

Waddle Bro

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on March 19, 2016, 04:17:56 PMexcept you're still not getting the point, none of you are apparently
I literally said in my post of how the attitude of claiming "you just dont get it you're beyond reasoning" doesn't help anyone :( Please try to avoid being so condescending towards others. I recommend to assimilate what I was saying instead of withdrawing from rational discussion!!
Quote from: Waddle Bro on March 19, 2016, 04:12:36 PMPlease don't be or accuse someone for being ignorant of homosexuality or religion and the viewpoints they have, instead try to help each other see the situation from your own viewpoint and why that is. Focus on the good and what you want to see more.
If you want I can go through your points!! but they were filled with invalid arguments so I wasn't sure if you were trolling D:
ok so
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on March 18, 2016, 12:04:19 AMWhat the crap some of you guys are being so ridiculous right now.  FA your hilarious ignorance of religion is making me slam my head into the wall.  Ruto why are you trying to have a theological discussion when you really couldn't care less about god.  Slow, homosexuality is a sin because it's sex outside of marriage.  Marraige between man and woman is a central part of almost any religion and it's this, not being attracted to males, that's considered a sin.  You guys al freak out over bigotry and injustices done to you but none of you even seem to realize exactly what the purpose of religion is nor why certain things are considered a sin.  No, the whole world is totally out to get you and god, the guy whom you owe everything to, is the one at fault.  Grow the crap up already.
-Claiming someone is ridiculous or ignorant and taking a condescending attitude doesn't help anyone and rather drives people away from your point. You should help others to understand what you're trying to mean!
-Whether or not Ruto cares about God has no effect whether her arguments are valid, it's an ad hominem. also it's not that much of a theological discussion, when it's also about societal issues, equality and ethics in general.
-Homosexuality doesn't mean literally sex even though it has the word in it. by this logic, wouldn't heterosexuality also be a sin then? though i'm more inclined to think you just weren't sure what homosexuality means!! :x
-like I explained in my previous post, no ought from is(google Hume's guillotine!!)
-You seem a bit regardless of how cultures and values change over time, that's why I'd recommend you(and everyone!) to try to change perspectives when looking at things!!
-Let's start with what a religion is, it's a worldview that tries to explain how you should react towards what exists and how that exists. Religion gives meaning and is a belief system on how things are, but like I explained, it's based on faith, not knowledge. I explained it pretty well, I'm still recommending you to read the post!!
-telling someone to "grow up" doesn't help your case of being condescending and achieves nothing
[close]
I still believe if you'd put your heart into it, you could still be capable of explaining what you mean to say without fallacies and negative attitude!!

FireArrow

nah who needs to discuss things rationally when you can just look super smart by telling people they can't understand your superior logic
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Olimar12345

Why is it so imperative that we discuss this anyway? .-. Can't everyone just have their own beliefs and be content with that?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

Not fuko chan... Memes be gettin dank up in here
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

Dudeman

All right, fellas, let's try to avoid turning this into an image spam.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book