News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onionleaf

That sounds like a close call! I'm sorry that happened to you PDS :( I hope you aren't "that kind of" cyclist who doesn't take extra precautions by staying safe and keeping a good distance from passing cars. I'm always extra mindful whenever I see a cyclist on the road, but sometimes the way they ride on the street just begs for an accident to happen. (Not that I'm directing the comment towards you or anything, your post just reminded me of all the stuff I keep seeing on the road)

AwesomeYears

So my computer's main drive had no space left, so I decided to move a folder of 4.3 GBs of photos to a USB and the next day, only 48MBs left.

What.

mikey

4.3 is a LOT of photos.
did you try defragmenting the hard drive?
unmotivated

Maelstrom

Try limiting the space allotted for system restore points. It freed up around 15-20gb for me. Note that you should leave some, because it's pretty important.

Zunawe

Ways to free up disk space on Windows:
  • Empty your Recycle Bin
  • Remove programs that you don't use
  • Carefully look through your computer's files and delete folders that you know don't need to be there, such as folders leftover from uninstalling programs.
  • Check your My Documents folder. Lots of stuff gets saved there automatically, and people often don't use it.
  • Run the program "Disk Cleanup." It's already on Windows by default. You'd be surprised at how much space error reports and temporary files can take up.

You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

mikey

disk cleanup is a very good option and something that should be done regularly if it isn't already
unmotivated

Maelstrom

Quote from: Zunawe on July 01, 2016, 12:54:47 PMWays to free up disk space on Windows:
  • Empty your Recycle Bin
  • Remove programs that you don't use
  • Carefully look through your computer's files and delete folders that you know don't need to be there, such as folders leftover from uninstalling programs.
  • Check your My Documents folder. Lots of stuff gets saved there automatically, and people often don't use it.
  • Run the program "Disk Cleanup." It's already on Windows by default. You'd be surprised at how much space error reports and temporary files can take up.
Ok, you should probably do this first.
Oh, and to figure out where a lot of the extra files are,
File Explorer>Computer> and start right clicking on everything and clicking "properties." This will tell you how much space is taken up by each folder. Once you find the offending folders, look further into them.

Also, if you go to Computer>Users>[user here]> and the files don't add up, it may be the appdata folder. Look up how to show hidden folders if that folder is not appearing. Iirc, Blueflower999 had a whopping 250gb of extra data hogging up his hard drive in there when I was walking him through this. (I doubt it will be that big for you, though)

What's the max hard drive space?

Editing to avoid a double post:
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on July 01, 2016, 07:10:57 AM4.3 is a LOT of photos.
I have 4.47gb.
I also have 34.0gb of music, which probably isn't a good idea considering I have a 120gb SSD.

InsigTurtle

Wasn't careful, cut myself rather deeply when I was prepping some preserved salted lemons.

Happy Canada Day.

Altissimo

I still hate "fam" there is no way to make it not sound like a passive-aggressive jab no matter the context

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

unmotivated

Waddle Bro

Maelstrom

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

mikey

have fun puking nonstop for the next 24 hours
unmotivated